V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 17, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #18,152 of 23,366
Hi guys.. I got a question.. I'm getting this cans.. Do you think the iPod 5.5g can drive this cans without any DAC/amp? Or if needed, what's the best amp/DAC to be with the m100's?

iPod will drive it fine.  The V-MODA VAMP/VERZA was made to pair with the M-100's and is compatible with iPods/iPhones.  

That being said, there are a lot of cheaper and more competitive amp/DACS out there IMHO.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #18,153 of 23,366
Hi guys.. I got a question.. I'm getting this cans.. Do you think the iPod 5.5g can drive this cans without any DAC/amp? Or if needed, what's the best amp/DAC to be with the m100's?

yea, you'll be fine without a dac/amp. if you want to get one, you can consider the Fiio E17/E07K.

edit: sound quality improvements from dac/amps are not as substantial as these forums will make it appear from my personal experience.

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #18,154 of 23,366
Got the XL pads yesterday and my goodness, what an increase in comfort. I never found the stock pads to be really uncomfortable, but after a while they started to irritate a little bit (esspecially when wearing glasses). The XL pads feel great, much softer and the increase in size is most welcome. It does seem like they do get hot a little but quicker than stock though. So far I haven't heard any difference in sound between the two pads, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #18,155 of 23,366
  yea, you'll be fine without a dac/amp. if you want to get one, you can consider the Fiio E17/E07K.

How about the E12 or the DIY E12, will this also work with the ipod + m100 Rig?

iPod will drive it fine.  The V-MODA VAMP/VERZA was made to pair with the M-100's and is compatible with iPods/iPhones.  

That being said, there are a lot of cheaper and more competitive amp/DACS out there IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback buddy! Gonna get this cans on the weekends! Really excited!

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #18,157 of 23,366
  What AMP or DAC/AMP comb is recommended for those headphones for desktop use with PC? Price around 100$ maybe a bit more if there are a big difference in SQ.

The M-100's are designed for portable use, so they don't really *need* a DAC/amp to run.

But, if you're using the standard integrated audio in a PC/Mac, you'll probably get a reasonable level of benefit from a USB DAC/amp. At the $100 buck and below level, a FiiO E07K isn't a bad purchase. The Dragonfly USB-thumb drive sized DAC/amp is a steal at it's current $99 dollar price. 

There's always a HiFiMediy Sabre DAC at around $50. If you watch the FS forums, you can probably find an Audioengine D1 for just over that price, which is a nicely built/featured all-in-one unit.

If you can go into the $200 level, Magni/Modi becomes an option. So does a used O2/ODAC. Those are less portable, but very good sounding options.

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #18,158 of 23,366
  How about the E12 or the DIY E12, will this also work with the ipod + m100 Rig?

Thanks for the feedback buddy! Gonna get this cans on the weekends! Really excited!

E12 is a headphone amp only. Also, unnecessary.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #18,159 of 23,366
  What AMP or DAC/AMP comb is recommended for those headphones for desktop use with PC? Price around 100$ maybe a bit more if there are a big difference in SQ.

The M-100's are designed for portable use, so they don't really *need* a DAC/amp to run.

But, if you're using the standard integrated audio in a PC/Mac, you'll probably get a reasonable level of benefit from a USB DAC/amp. At the $100 buck and below level, a FiiO E07K isn't a bad purchase. The Dragonfly USB-thumb drive sized DAC/amp is a steal at it's current $99 dollar price. 

There's always a HiFiMediy Sabre DAC at around $50. If you watch the FS forums, you can probably find an Audioengine D1 for just over that price, which is a nicely built/featured all-in-one unit.

If you can go into the $200 level, Magni/Modi becomes an option. So does a used O2/ODAC. Those are less portable, but very good sounding options.

Internal sound card may also be an option. However an external DAC/AMP with an option to connect both speaker and headphones (like the Audioengine D1) is a great bonus for me.
But I read that it has bad separation and sound stage. I want a wide sound stage with a good separation a long with a warm signature.

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #18,161 of 23,366
I'm about to sell my ath-m50 and buy these but I got a few questions.

- how big is the upgrade between these two cans

- reviews constantly say that the soundstage sound weird. Can anybody touch on this? The m50 have a very shallow soundstage so I hope this isn't too weird to me. But generally I like open soundstages where every 'sound' is distinct and separated.

- they say mids are recessed, how true and detrimental is this? Vocals need to be natural to me.

- I have a small head. The m50 fits me perfectly on the tightest level. Will these cans be too loose? Too heavy?

- I'm sensitive to high piercing treble and its one of the reasons why I'm upgrading. Is the treble on these like that? I know there is a spike around 10k.

- is the bass overpowering? How is the sub-bass. My m50's can't hit really low notes properly or loud enough

-I'm gonna be powering these from an iPod classic newest gen most of the time, and music will be 192/v2 - 320/v0 rap music most of the time. Are these headphones a good choice?

The main reason I am upgrading from the m50 is because of the harsh treble, shallow soundstage, and low volume of subbass. Will these headphones do the trick?

Pardon my bad grammar. I'm using a phone and not completely sober lol.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #18,162 of 23,366
The main reason I am upgrading from the m50 is because of the harsh treble, shallow soundstage, and low volume of subbass. Will these headphones do the trick?

Without knowing the M50 myself: the M100 does have a spike at around 10kHz, which gives it a nice sparkle but its never aggressive or harsh. The soundstage is rather narrow but deep, subbass is adequately detailed and very present, without overwhelming the rest of the spectrum. midrange is somewhat subdued but voices nevertheless sound quite natural to me. Would not use it for classics, but I guess its a lot of fun for Hip Hop / Rap.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #18,163 of 23,366
I should also add that I LOVE the details and dynamics of the m50, simply incredible. I don't wanna lose any of that switching.

Also, I heard talks about a new V-Moda product. Does anyone know what these new headphones are supposed to be aimed towards and the price range?

Another things, the Crossfade LP is on sale for 80 on amazon.ca. How do they compare to the M100 and M50?

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #18,164 of 23,366
I've not heard the Crossfade LP myself, though judging by others comments it might not be the right choice if you're into details. The M100 does that just fine, but the sonic representation might be quite different from your m50.

Jan 18, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #18,165 of 23,366
I'm about to sell my ath-m50 and buy these but I got a few questions.

- how big is the upgrade between these two cans

- reviews constantly say that the soundstage sound weird. Can anybody touch on this? The m50 have a very shallow soundstage so I hope this isn't too weird to me. But generally I like open soundstages where every 'sound' is distinct and separated.

- they say mids are recessed, how true and detrimental is this? Vocals need to be natural to me.

- I have a small head. The m50 fits me perfectly on the tightest level. Will these cans be too loose? Too heavy?

- I'm sensitive to high piercing treble and its one of the reasons why I'm upgrading. Is the treble on these like that? I know there is a spike around 10k.

- is the bass overpowering? How is the sub-bass. My m50's can't hit really low notes properly or loud enough

-I'm gonna be powering these from an iPod classic newest gen most of the time, and music will be 192/v2 - 320/v0 rap music most of the time. Are these headphones a good choice?

Pardon my bad grammar. I'm using a phone and not completely sober lol.

The M100 is a huge upgrade over the M50.  Bass and sub bass are phenomenal, goes very low and deep without any distortion.  Soundstage and instrument separation is good for a closed back can, if you want a bigger soundstage, more separation and better comfort, try the M-100 with the XL pads.  It will do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back