V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #17,942 of 23,366

i knew he had them :).

btw which are your current favourite overears?

B&W P7, but that's only because I haven't gotten my CEntrance M8 LX 4XL and Mr. Speaker's Alpha Dog yet.

p.s. still loves the M-100, but I use it more for VoIP and games now rather than music.

Dec 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #17,943 of 23,366
  B&W P7, but that's only because I haven't gotten my CEntrance M8 LX 4XL and Mr. Speaker's Alpha Dog yet.

p.s. still loves the M-100, but I use it more for VoIP and games now rather than music.

Ok cool, i just ordered the m100 myself :)

Heard some great things about the bw p7, they look really posh aswell. They are ofcourse also a bit more expensive, and m100 is probably more suited for rap and electronic still (i dont know havent tested them yet myself?)

Dec 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #17,944 of 23,366

Heard some great things about the bw p7, they look really posh aswell. They are ofcourse also a bit more expensive, and m100 is probably more suited for rap and electronic still (i dont know havent tested them yet myself?)

Totally true, try the M-100 on Linkin Park Recharged and you will be blown away.  However, if you are getting XL pads, shields, and BoomPro Mic, it will cost about the same as a pair of P7.

Dec 20, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #17,946 of 23,366

I've tried the p7s & I don't think they are worth their extra $100 especially with the new $300 offerings of the highly-reviewed-so-far NAD Visio HP50 & Kef M500, and when you have find the Momentums ($300) & new AKG K545 ($200) at discount. a lot of head-fi-ers (me included) found the other alternatives to sound better even at the lower price. 

B&W does make quality products (I've also had their C5 in-ears which were pretty amazing), but with the competition around, I think they definitely overcharge a lot (just for their brand name). I don't think they even have established a "signature brand sound" like the AKGs or V-Moda yet as the p5 vs p7 seem to have very different sound signatures. while the brighter p7 might be a slight upgrade in clarity from the M100 since the M100 are really very bass-focused, but you can get just as good if not better sonic upgrade staying at the $300 or less price bracket. I personally won't be considering the b&w until they go on some sort of sale.

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #17,947 of 23,366
HOW MANY HEADPHONES ARE TOO MANY???  
rolleyes.gif

I really like the build quality of the P7 and the H6 but sound-wise they were a bit of a miss for me (P7's mids were a bit too recessed for my liking and the H6 has no bass at all).  The HP50 seems interesting but I should demo them but then again I tend to just buy things on a whim.

Lately I've been buying a bunch of sub $100 headphones for no reason at all, well just to have and to listen to I guess.  Within a couple weeks I've picked up HD219, HD239, KSC75 and PortaPro.  I have to say I'm really surprised by the Koss line up.  With a few simple mods you can get really good sound for less than $20.  That being said, they are still not as good as the M-100's (of course
biggrin.gif
 ) but they are fun to play with!

I'm very eager to hear the L2 because I really like the Philips sound and looks.

In the end I always come back to the M-100's.  There's something comforting about the sound.  Nothing harsh and always smooth with a nice low sub bass.

But to answer my own question, you can never have enough headphones and let's not even get started on AMPs, DACs, DAPs and cables 
biggrin.gif

Kudos to those who can get them all!  

Sorry wallet 
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #17,948 of 23,366

Lately I've been buying a bunch of sub $100 headphones for no reason at all, well just to have and to listen to I guess.

(...)

Sorry wallet 
wink.gif

Instead of getting lots of cheap sub-$100 headphones, you should save up for a budget hi-end pair. P7+x4 $100 pairs = $800 = he500 or equivalent. your wallet would thank you. 
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #17,950 of 23,366
  Instead of getting lots of cheap sub-$100 headphones, you should save up for a budget hi-end pair. P7+x4 $100 pairs = $800 = he500 or equivalent. your wallet would thank you. 
wink.gif

I think the problem with the HE-500 is that I won't be able to use them on my commute and at work which is about 90% of my life.

Although I think people at work are starting to think I'm crazy coming in with several different sets of headphones everyday.  Today the secretary came up to my desk and asked me what that thing (my VERZA) was attached to my iPod.  I told her it was AMP, didn't even want to tell her it was a DAC too as it would just confuse her more, and she just blinked at me.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #17,951 of 23,366
  I think the problem with the HE-500 is that I won't be able to use them on my commute and at work which is about 90% of my life.

Although I think people at work are starting to think I'm crazy coming in with several different sets of headphones everyday.  Today the secretary came up to my desk and asked me what that thing (my VERZA) was attached to my iPod.  I told her it was AMP, didn't even want to tell her it was a DAC too as it would just confuse her more, and she just blinked at me.
biggrin.gif

Sell everything, pool the $ for the Ultrasone Signature DJ and call it a day.

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #17,955 of 23,366
the cushy memory foams when it was resting slightly on the ear. The padding itself is quite wide/thick, if you don't want to make the cup much bigger I'd just make the diameter of the pads more narrow at the sides so there's a wider innercircumference instead as it seems there is some headroom to make it smaller without sacrificing on comfort (more like the opposite, if ear can fit fully inside it would get even more comfortable). I bet there's aprox 4-5 mm to gain here by simply doing the pads more narrow at the sides which would be enough.
MgMzZv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back