V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jun 15, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #14,956 of 23,366
Regardless of how great a pair of headphones is, it is still with some sort of flaw...  The M100 is no different and is not immune. Letting people know about the weaknesses is a requirement as well as a letting them know about the strengths.  It's the only way that people can find the best headphones that will suite them.  They need to know both sides of the story (all products have two sides).  By hiding one, the listener is doing a disservice towards others.  So I actually applaud Nicholars for bringing up this flaw which I do hear as well. 

I don't get it, but with threads like these, anyone who brings up any flaw is called a troll...  I don't get why.  The flaw is there, it's not over stated, he's making a statement and everyone's trying to take that statement away from him. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #14,957 of 23,366
Quote:
I don't get it, but with threads like these, anyone who brings up any flaw is called a troll...  I don't get why.  The flaw is there, it's not over stated, he's making a statement and everyone's trying to take that statement away from him. 

All was fine until he said he didn't care about anyone else's opinion.  That's just trolling.

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #14,958 of 23,366
Quote:

All was fine until he said he didn't care about anyone else's opinion.  That's just trolling.

If you attack even the cutest, most innocent kitten, it will bite back, all I'm saying.  He got "attacked" (and/or felt this way) for his opinion about the treble (I was here, I was in the middle of it), and he tried explaining himself better.  He still got more attacking...  Things esculated...  Like any big appreciation thread with a large group of members agreeing that the a pair of headphones are as near to perfect as possible, when someone comes in to state something negative, they will get attacked... 

Many of my initial thoughts about the M-100 are disregarded and basically thrown out because I stated the same flaws that he did.  This was way back when I first got the M-100 though.  History repeats itself, like last time, I was there from the start...  I hasn't finished yet. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #14,959 of 23,366
Quote:

If you attack even the cutest, most innocent kitten, it will bite back, all I'm saying.  He got "attacked" (and/or felt this way) for his opinion about the treble (I was here, I was in the middle of it), and he tried explaining himself better.  He still got more attacking...  Things esculated...  Like any big appreciation thread with a large group of members agreeing that the a pair of headphones are as near to perfect as possible, when someone comes in to state something negative, they will get attacked... 

Many of my initial thoughts about the M-100 are disregarded and basically thrown out because I stated the same flaws that he did.  This was way back when I first got the M-100 though.  History repeats itself, like last time, I was there from the start...  I hasn't finished yet. 

It's not like he was was the "innocent kitten" here.  He was being incendiary and he got back what he dished out.  Read through his posts on other threads.  It doesn't appear that this was just a misunderstanding.  He just comes across very abrasive.  Whether by intention or nature, it is what it is.  Reactions like this will follow him until he changes his attitude.  

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #14,960 of 23,366
when other members brought up the discomfort issue and talked about it politely, it was discussed constructively and thats how the "paper towel" mod was born.

this guy came in bashing them senselessly using dirty language and a belligerent attitude.
i think about half of this threads members agree that there are major comfort issues with this headphone, and quite abit that would agree about the frequency response. but when one has a bad attitude, he wont be taken seriously,  no matter what

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #14,961 of 23,366
I'm trying to put myself in the headspace of a newbie who comes to this thread for some guidance wanting to know if the M-100 is good for them.  I think with all the heated debate recently, someone considering the M-100 would be extremely confused.  As one of the first M-100 owners, I want to share some key points from my perspective having used these extensively for about a year.

Comfort- While I would certainly not consider comfort a strength of the M-100, I would rank them as middle-of-the road for comfort, certainly not terrible as some have presented.  I will say that I considered them uncomfortable for the first few weeks of ownership to the point that is was a concern.  I noticed some ear pain after about an hour of use due to cup size and a lesser degree, clamp force.  While the cups are smaller than I would like and I welcome XL pads if, and when, they are released, I would say that over time, M-100 comfort has improved from a 5 to an 8.  I now almost forget they are on my head and can listen for hours without discomfort.  The clamp is also perfect now- snug enough to stay on my head for mild activity while not so tight I ever feel like I am in a vise.  While everyone perceives comfort as differently as sound, I believe some who have returned the M-100 due to comfort may have done so prematurely without allowing enough head time for "comfort burn-in".

Construction/Portability-  I would say the M-100 is extremely durable, but with one weak spot.  The headband is extremely flexible and I am impressed by the leather-like synthetic material used there- great feel.  The hinges are also extremely durable and V-Moda put quite a bit of time, energy and research into those which paid off.  The weak spot is more cosmetic than function, but the wing plates are vulnerable to breakage.  The plastic they use seems to be a bit thin and rigid which makes them vulnerable to cracking.  My left inside wing plate cracked recently and I'm not even sure how.  V-Moda does have fantastic product support and I expect they will send a replacement.

Regarding portability, the M-100 is as good as it gets for a full-size headphone.  I still remember my surprise and almost disbelief opening a box much smaller than anticipated and seeing a softball-size clamshell case which, upon opening, revealed an amazingly compact M-100.  My wife and I just returned from Florida vacation and the M-100 served me well, fitting easily into my carry on bag.  The shareplay cable also came in handy for watching movies on the flight.  While I could certainly hear the plane engine, there was enough isolation that I could clearly hear all dialogue in the movie.

Sound- This is the tough one to present objectively because we all hear differently.  I can only say that several members have PM'd me over the past year with specific questions about the M-100 and I believe 90%+ were happy they purchased them based on comments back to me or posts.  I can only say for my taste, having auditioned more headphones than I can recall, no headphone up to, or in its price range is as satisfying or as versatile for multiple genres as the M-100.  The bass is tight, deep and punchy to satisfy my basshead side with excellent midrange detail, fairly extended highs and good soundstage for my audiophile side.  Female vocals in particular shine with the M-100.  I can switch from light 70's music to EDM without feeling a need to change headphones.  While my primary headphones are Ultrasone Signature DJs, the M-100 still has a good amount of listening time and hold their own against more expensive headphones.

I hope this helps lurkers, newbies and anyone else looking for an excellent $300 headphone.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #14,962 of 23,366
Quote:
when other members brought up the discomfort issue and talked about it politely, it was discussed constructively and that's how the "paper towel" mod was born.

this guy came in bashing them senselessly using dirty language and a belligerent attitude.
i think about half of this threads members agree that there are major comfort issues with this headphone, and quite abit that would agree about the frequency response. but when one has a bad attitude, he wont be taken seriously,  no matter what

The regular people in this thread just want to come to the thread whilst probably listening to the M-100 and read positive comments about them, if you read what I said in this thread from the start I was never actually "senselessly bashing them using dirty language and a belligerent attitude." at all that is rubbish, all I did was give my opinion on the headphones, I was not even being "picky" or an "audiophile" to me the issues with the treble and midrange are very obvious within 5 minutes of using the headphones compared to the others I have at the moment.

Also I was just informing people that whilst the "paper towel mod" does fix the comfort issue, it messes up the bass quality quite a bit... Because when I bought these I was almost sure they would not fit me properly, but thought I would just do the "kitchen towel mod" as I read comments saying it actually improves the sound, if anything this is miss leading because it makes the bass quite a bit worse (I had a suspicion this would happen but I trusted the comments in the thread).... I am the one giving a realistic view and not just saying what people want to hear so I am actually the one being helpful by saying there is a high chance (50% according to the comfort thread) you will find them uncomfortable and there is not really a proper fix for this until the XL pads (probably) come out this year.... If you are someone like me and likes to sit with headphones on for long periods then these are probably no good to you...

This is the name of the thread " V-Moda m-100: discussion / feedback / reviews" This is all I did and as Tinyman said I was basically attacked for saying anything negative about them, sort of like walking into manchester uniteds football stadium with a liverpool shirt on...  if I would have come into the thread and said "wow these are just so good, no faults at all" I would have just got a pat on the back. All I was doing was giving my view and why these might be a disappointment for other people if they are looking for comfort or who may find the problems I mentioned annoying, if you enjoy them that is great, but as with any headphones people are entitled to give an opinion and if anything this is good for people looking at what headphones to buy.

If you do not want to head anything negative about them, then make another thread called the "V-moda M-100 appreciation thread"

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #14,963 of 23,366
They're not good for multiple genres to me at all. I'd only recommend them to someone looking for a pair to listen to EDM/Hip-hop/R&B and that's all. The mids are recessed and the trebble has less detail than a $70 IEM, which is pretty disappointing. I can't have pleasure listening to them without equalizing, unless I turn the volume up to a non safe level.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #14,964 of 23,366
Quote:

The regular people in this thread just want to come to the thread whilst probably listening to the M-100 and read positive comments about them, if you read what I said in this thread from the start I was never actually "senselessly bashing them using dirty language and a belligerent attitude." at all that is rubbish, all I did was give my opinion on the headphones, I was not even being "picky" or an "audiophile" to me the issues with the treble and midrange are very obvious within 5 minutes of using the headphones compared to the others I have at the moment.

Also I was just informing people that whilst the "paper towel mod" does fix the comfort issue, it messes up the bass quality quite a bit... Because when I bought these I was almost sure they would not fit me properly, but thought I would just do the "kitchen towel mod" as I read comments saying it actually improves the sound, if anything this is miss leading because it makes the bass quite a bit worse (I had a suspicion this would happen but I trusted the comments in the thread).... I am the one giving a realistic view and not just saying what people want to hear so I am actually the one being helpful by saying there is a high chance (50% according to the comfort thread) you will find them uncomfortable and there is not really a proper fix for this until the XL pads (probably) come out this year.... If you are someone like me and likes to sit with headphones on for long periods then these are probably no good to you...

This is the name of the thread " V-Moda m-100: discussion / feedback / reviews" This is all I did and as Tinyman said I was basically attacked for saying anything negative about them, sort of like walking into manchester uniteds football stadium with a liverpool shirt on...  if I would have come into the thread and said "wow these are just so good, no faults at all" I would have just got a pat on the back. All I was doing was giving my view and why these might be a disappointment for other people if they are looking for comfort or who may find the problems I mentioned annoying, if you enjoy them that is great, but as with any headphones people are entitled to give an opinion and if anything this is good for people looking at what headphones to buy.

If you do not want to head anything negative about them, then make another thread called the "V-moda M-100 appreciation thread"

You seem to have this overwhelming need to have the last word and all you are doing at this point is polluting this thread with self-serving babble.  You have spoken your piece, enough already, let it go.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #14,965 of 23,366
Quote:

listen mate, im not going to go back in the thread to quote every word you said. lets just say that i felt you expressed yourself in a way that made it hard to have a constructive conversation, or even a friendly argument with you. i think im probably one of the people who suffer the most from the comfort issue. before i moded them i couldnt wear them for more then 20 minuets tops without serious ear pain. after the "softie mod" (an expansion of the "kitchen paper" mod, as you call it) which i pushed to its very limits i can now wear them for up to 2 hours, and after that my ears start getting sore.
as i said, i listen mostly to downtempo electronica, and various other forms of EDM. the m-100s signature is perfect for these genres, as they are primarily a dj headphone (atleast i think so). still, i have no problem excepting that for other genres, other people might not like them.
aside for the way you expressed yourself, the other issue i took was that you seemed to criticize the cans for "the wrong" reasons. they were never meant to be analytical, neutral or flat. they are coloured, thats what they are meant to be. they have a "fun" or "musical" (though i hate using that term) signature. its on purpose.
i dont think its wrong to criticize. your definitely not the first to do so, your definitely not the last. but theres also the question of how you do it. and of course, theres all i said to you in my previous post about frequency response, and my view of it.

now lets please put this aside. we can go back and forth forever with this. if you feel that i "got the last word in" and shoved off, or just that you really must reply, then your more than welcome to, i promise to read what you write, but i will not comment on it. this is turning into a political argument - neither side will ever be convinced and it just turns into an ugly, heated fight. someone will come around and close the thread if we keep this up much longer...

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #14,966 of 23,366
Quote:
You seem to have this overwhelming need to have the last word and all you are doing at this point is polluting this thread with self-serving babble.  You have spoken your piece, enough already, let it go.

Yep nice, proving my point exactly, anything other than mindless hype is considered as "thread polluting"... I have only used these for EDM, not even tried them for other genres, and those issues are still obvious to me compared to the momentums, I apologies for giving my opinion on the headphones.

I am not going to post anything more in this thread now because this is clearly not a thread for discussing valid points about the headphones, it is for hyping and positive comments about the headphones only. I will finish with this :

Damn these are good, the clarity is incredible, the sound is balanced, the treble is excellent and has no recessed parts at all, the lower midrange is also excellent and not hidden behind the bass at all, the comfort as well is just excellent, best comfort I have ever seen in headphones.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #14,967 of 23,366
Quote:

Quote:

Yep nice, proving my point exactly, anything other than mindless hype is considered as "thread polluting"

You also just proved my point about your overwhelming desire to have the last word.  You won't be able to resist responding to my response, will you?.................
evil_smiley.gif

images

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #14,968 of 23,366
Quote:
listen mate, im not going to go back in the thread to quote every word you said. lets just say that i felt you expressed yourself in a way that made it hard to have a constructive conversation, or even a friendly argument with you. i think im probably one of the people who suffer the most from the comfort issue. before i moded them i couldnt wear them for more then 20 minuets tops without serious ear pain. after the "softie mod" (an expansion of the "kitchen paper" mod, as you call it) which i pushed to its very limits i can now wear them for up to 2 hours, and after that my ears start getting sore.
as i said, i listen mostly to downtempo electronica, and various other forms of EDM. the m-100s signature is perfect for these genres, as they are primarily a dj headphone (atleast i think so). still, i have no problem excepting that for other genres, other people might not like them.
aside for the way you expressed yourself, the other issue i took was that you seemed to criticize the cans for "the wrong" reasons. they were never meant to be analytical, neutral or flat. they are coloured, thats what they are meant to be. they have a "fun" or "musical" (though i hate using that term) signature. its on purpose.
i dont think its wrong to criticize. your definitely not the first to do so, your definitely not the last. but theres also the question of how you do it. and of course, theres all i said to you in my previous post about frequency response, and my view of it.

now lets please put this aside. we can go back and forth forever with this. if you feel that i "got the last word in" and shoved off, or just that you really must reply, then your more than welcome to, i promise to read what you write, but i will not comment on it. this is turning into a political argument - neither side will ever be convinced and it just turns into an ugly, heated fight. someone will come around and close the thread if we keep this up much longer...

I have only used them for the genres they are good at, EDM, dubstep, whatever. I still think the issues are a problem and the almost missing frequencies are an issue, I never expected neutral headphones, I was looking for a V shaped "fun" sound, but for me these do not "cut the mustard" due to what I was saying before about half the sound being almost missing! Even if I really liked the sound (which is pretty good for those genres) the comfort is just plain bad on these.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #14,969 of 23,366
Quote:

You also just proved my point about your overwhelming desire to have the last word.  You won't be able to resist responding to my response, will you?.................
evil_smiley.gif

Its not that, its just that I think you people are being unfair and just cannot accept any criticism about the headphones, even when it is completely valid, maybe you just don't understand what I am saying, although the comfort issue is very obvious.

This is my final comment now goodbye. This is a waste of my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back