V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 14, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #13,876 of 23,366
Quote:
I ordered a pair of Matte M-100's, and gettings buyers remorse. Please convince me why they are better than the Momentums 
smily_headphones1.gif

I've owned both and did AB comparisons for 3 days. Decided to opt for the M-100 as it is much more portable (momentum case is HUGE) and the sound has a little more personality IMO. Overall things on the momentum sound good, but on the M-100 the sub-bass means certain things truly excel.

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #13,877 of 23,366
So I finally managed to import some pictures... :cool:

I gotta say: They fit over my ears perfectly and with the soft leather pads I got no problem with my glasses. Clamping force is quite noticeably but I got to test the wearing comfort over a few hours next week, than I can tell more... :wink:

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #13,878 of 23,366
Nice setup.. exactly the same as mine.  Try bending the headband for comfort and loosening the grip.  I also wear glasses and they fit like a glove with no excessive clamping now.  Enjoy!!

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #13,879 of 23,366
I am definitely in love with the M-100's sound.  I can't stop listening to everything and anything with the M-100's.  Thank god I can listen to music at work.  Even when my ears are tired and sore from listening all day I want to keep on listening.  It's really addictive!

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #13,880 of 23,366
Quote:
I ordered a pair of Matte M-100's, and gettings buyers remorse. Please convince me why they are better than the Momentums 
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't worry many people after owning both the momentum and m100's, people preferred the m100s. Also you eq the m100 to sound like the momentum, but with better treble extension  Plus the momentum barely have any bass when compared to the m100, unless you listen to classical music only, you would not be disappointed with the m100. 

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #13,881 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

I've owned both and did AB comparisons for 3 days. Decided to opt for the M-100 as it is much more portable (momentum case is HUGE) and the sound has a little more personality IMO. Overall things on the momentum sound good, but on the M-100 the sub-bass means certain things truly excel.

+9001 to this
I don't know how any normal person can carry around the Momentums comfortably in their bag. I bring my M-100's with me every day to school and even though it folds-up nicely, it tends to drop to the bottom of my bag and creates a big "gap". If the headphone was able to lie flat, then I would consider it more portable than the M-100, but alas it doesn't.

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #13,882 of 23,366
Quote:
no. lowering the mids and highs, and then turning the volume up is the way i bass boost. notice the null and roll off that i created at ~7.6 kHz. thats what i wanted to show sdonati84 who asked to see the setting i used to ease the fatigue that the m-100 caused me. this is one of the reasons i think im overly sensitive to treble, a 4dB peak isnt very much, and yet it hurts my ears terribly after as much as 15 min. i also have a 2nd instance of electriq open at the same time, boosting the bass even more. this is so i can maintain a low listening level, while still having head rattling bass. if i listen at even a moderate listening level, the treble cuts my ears like a knife... 

edit: this isnt the m-100s fault, i did the same with my dt 770s, which have an even bigger treble peak btw.

After experimenting for some days, I found out that this eq configuration works great for low volume listening:

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #13,883 of 23,366
Looks like you are removing the 10K peak that "for some reason works" with the M100s that Val and his team kept coming back to. As well as shaving off a bit of bass 

Interesting, I might try that and see how the headphones sound after.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #13,885 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm in a very similar situation. But I keep telling myself that the m100 are much more solidly built and have more "fun" tone. Heh, I'll see, but I'm sure I'll love them.

I have tried both, and the M-100's are a lot more solid in sound. The mids are slightly more enthasised on the Momentum's, but the M-100's have a better overall tone. They go solidly more lower.

Go to your local Apple store and take your headphones with you. They tend to have the Momentum's there. Plug in your own source, and test them both out against each other. Trust me when I say I think you'd agree too. This is what I did.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #13,886 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
I'm in a very similar situation. But I keep telling myself that the m100 are much more solidly built and have more "fun" tone. Heh, I'll see, but I'm sure I'll love them.

I have tried both, and the M-100's are a lot more solid in sound. The mids are slightly more enthasised on the Momentum's, but the M-100's have a better overall tone. They go solidly more lower.

Go to your local Apple store and take your headphones with you. They tend to have the Momentum's there. Plug in your own source, and test them both out against each other. Trust me when I say I think you'd agree too. This is what I did.

I would like to hear the Momentums in-person too, but the Apple Stores in my area don't have them yet. :frowning2:

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #13,888 of 23,366
Quote:
I would like to hear the Momentums in-person too, but the Apple Stores in my area don't have them yet. :frowning2:

Go find a BestBuy with the Magnolia AV room in them, then you can demo the Momentums.  I found this out by accident and I think you should try it.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #13,890 of 23,366

Users who are viewing this thread

Back