V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 15, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #13,891 of 23,366
Quote:
Brushed black shields. The default shields of the Shadow M-100.

Oh yeah, I have it too from my Shadow still in plastic.  However, I didn't use it on neither my Shadow nor White as it is sort of a matte color and I like gross better.

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #13,892 of 23,366
Quote:
After experimenting for some days, I found out that this eq configuration works great for low volume listening:

interesting. based on the equal loudness curves, id say what your missing out on when listening at low levels is mostly bass and treble, while that eq seems to reduce them and emphasize the mids - which are least effected by low volume, as our ears are most sensitive to them. still, if it works for you then thats cool =] the treble cut would most likely reduce fatigue. ive been too busy for my m-100s for the last couple of days. im looking forward to spending some more time with them and working out a proper eq setting.

Quote:
Brushed black shields. The default shields of the Shadow M-100.

i have matt black brushed shields on my matt black m-100s if thats of any interest? it only makes a small difference, but i like it

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #13,893 of 23,366
Quote:
Looks like you are removing the 10K peak that "for some reason works" with the M100s that Val and his team kept coming back to. As well as shaving off a bit of bass 

Interesting, I might try that and see how the headphones sound after.

i knew theres a peak at 10K! i knew it!

could you elaborate on this business that "val and his team kept coming back to"? as stated in my last post, im trying to find an eq setting to reduce the fatigue.

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #13,894 of 23,366
Apr 15, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #13,895 of 23,366
Tried the momentums and although they are smooth, I was just left wanting. I listen to a lot of different music, but I use two songs from New Order as a comparison, Blue Monday and Shellshock. The momentums never really captured the thump and high cymbals of the intro to Blue Monday and the stereo imaging of Shellshock. Both songs just sounded, to my ears, better on the M-100's. Maybe it's because the M-100's are more like the way I listen to music everywhere else, stereo, car, whatever. The momentums are a very nice set of headphones no doubt, they just weren't for me. I really loved the yamaha pro 500's, but comfort was unbearable and the M-100's were close to those in sound, so I went with the M-100. I don't consider myself a basshead by any means, but I do like to hear what's meant to be heard. I still have my yamaha eph-100's to still get a taste of that yamaha sound I love, so it's a win win.

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #13,897 of 23,366
Apr 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #13,903 of 23,366
Apr 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #13,905 of 23,366
So, I received them today.

To put things in perspective, I listen my music at home on a pair of HD598 in a very dry/clean solid state amp.

Well, to put things lightly, it makes the mix really really really thick. Every thing sounds very dense and for right now it's a bit overwhelming, but I don't doubt it's my ears that need adapting.

I listen to mainly metal and the slight cut at around 500-600 Hz shows a lot on bands that use the bass guitar in a more melodic fashion (Cynic, Martyr, etc...) but on the rest of the music I have, it sounds really good. It is a very forgiving pair of headphones and some records I have are really badly recorded and they really make them sound nicer. They have a lot more punch and impact that I'm used to, and it's a welcomed change.

They also sound much better on my computer setup with the DAC/Amp than on my iPod. It gives the m100 a lot more depth and soundstage in general.

All in all, I'm gonna need some time to get used to them, but the sound quality is definitely there. Most definitely gonna keep them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back