V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 27, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #13,246 of 23,366
Mar 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #13,247 of 23,366
Quote:
It doesn't NEED an amp, but the Verza makes a HUGE difference...

How much of a difference? is it worth the 600 bucks? is there any alternative amp that provide the same amount of difference for less? Also on Taylor Swift, I really like too like 22 and starlight. :)   The m100 in my opinion should be worth more, it does not sound like $300 dolar headphones, may be at least $350 or $400, thanks to Val, I could actually afford this for $310 :D

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #13,248 of 23,366
Quote:
How much of a difference? is it worth the 600 bucks? is there any alternative amp that provide the same amount of difference for less? Also on Taylor Swift, I really like too like 22 and starlight. :)   The m100 in my opinion should be worth more, it does not sound like $300 dolar headphones, may be at least $350 or $400, thanks to Val, I could actually afford this for $310 :D

i wish she went back to her curly old self with some country songs :D

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #13,249 of 23,366
Quote:

The sound quality alone is not worth $600. What you're paying for when you buy a VERZA is a DAC/amplifier that works with both iDevices, newer Android phones, Windows phones and PCs. I haven't been able to test the VERZA through my phone since it is an older Android model and doesn't support USB out, but I did get to test it on my PC using the same files through USB out. There is a definite sound quality difference that is immediately noticeable, but it's not super dramatic since my phone already has a decent DAC + a little oomph via my cMoy. The difference isn't like how SPAM tastes compared to a New York Strip steak. It's more like how a plain cheeseburger tastes compared to a double cheeseburger with lettuce, tomatoes and onions.

Now VERZA sounds VASTLY superior to my onboard laptop sound card. It sounds like the difference between listening to a 96kps mp3 versus a FLAC file. When buying the VERZA, you're buying a multi-purpose device meant to be used as both an at home, on the go, and even automotive listening solution. When you consider that a USB DAC like the Dragonfly is $250 and is only compatible as a PC sound card, the VERZA is a steal. However, if all you want is a amp for your iPhone, then VERZA is a bit overkill. I suggest you try out the M-100 by itself to see it's enough for you and then pick up a FiiO amp if you really need some extra power or bass boost. Just don't expect miracles.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #13,250 of 23,366
Quote:
The sound quality alone is not worth $600. What you're paying for when you buy a VERZA is a DAC/amplifier that works with both iDevices, newer Android phones, Windows phones and PCs. I haven't been able to test the VERZA through my phone since it is an older Android model and doesn't support USB out, but I did get to test it on my PC using the same files through USB out. There is a definite sound quality difference that is immediately noticeable, but it's not super dramatic since my phone already has a decent DAC + a little oomph via my cMoy. The difference isn't like how SPAM tastes compared to a New York Strip steak. It's more like how a plain cheeseburger tastes compared to a double cheeseburger with lettuce, tomatoes and onions.

Now VERZA sounds VASTLY superior to my onboard laptop sound card. It sounds like the difference between listening to a 96kps mp3 versus a FLAC file. When buying the VERZA, you're buying a multi-purpose device meant to be used as both an at home, on the go, and even automotive listening solution. When you consider that a USB DAC like the Dragonfly is $400 and is only compatible as a PC sound card, the VERZA is a steal. However, if all you want is a amp for your iPhone, then VERZA is a bit overkill. I suggest you try out the M-100 by itself to see it's enough for you and then pick up a FiiO amp if you really need some extra power or bass boost. Just don't expect miracles.

I already have the m100 and also a fiio e6, and when I actually put in a bass boost setting, it is unbelievable! The bass is amazing, but is overpowering. With the setting there is more bass than the beats pro and other celebrity cans! The drivers are literally just pounding your skull and the cups are vibrating.  The bass is literally bass head level when amped and eq'd. I was looking more to an overall change, but I do not think I need an amp. I was considering the CMOY or the PA2v2 since I heard they were really portable amp, but I do not think it really makes a big difference with the price. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #13,251 of 23,366
Quote:
i wish she went back to her curly old self with some country songs :D

I know but she is only 23 and she is growing up, she is experimenting and trying different styles. I really liked our song and forever and always back in the day. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #13,252 of 23,366
because I'll buy it in singapore and they only have the ibasso d-zero, is that good enough?

coloured amps with good "synergy" with the M-100 can help bring out the treble and midrange for rock-like music genres.

What portable amps would you recommend for that?

I'm happy with my M-100, but I'm a newbie here and think I need to compare them with some other balanced headphones in the same league to see if there's much difference...

BTW, as some of you guys said, is more likely to see people here complaining about conformt, sound, etc... than those that are happy with it. I just want to say that I totally love the hinges and its portability. For me it was the key when chosing headphones and is what makes my experience far better than it would be with other headphones, regardless the sound (which is great anyway).

(sorry for my english, I'm spanish 
smile.gif

)

Now VERZA sounds VASTLY superior to my onboard laptop sound card. It sounds like the difference between listening to a 96kps mp3 versus a FLAC file. When buying the VERZA, you're buying a multi-purpose device meant to be used as both an at home, on the go, and even automotive listening solution. When you consider that a USB DAC like the Dragonfly is $400 and is only compatible as a PC sound card, the VERZA is a steal. However, if all you want is a amp for your iPhone, then VERZA is a bit overkill. I suggest you try out the M-100 by itself to see it's enough for you and then pick up a FiiO amp if you really need some extra power or bass boost. Just don't expect miracles.

Multi-quote on a mobile device....yeah not convenient at all.

iBasso should be fine.

As DrSheep said, the C5 is a great portable amp with pretty similar performance to the O2.

Before dropping $600 on a mobile DAC/amp (let's be honest here, $600 is a TON of money for a newcomer, let alone being a student hobbyist such as myself), I would recommend starting at a more reasonable price point such as the FiiO devices and move up from there. FiiO E7 and E17 are great DAC/amps for the price and the Schiit Magni/Modi would be a great starting reference setup, similar to the Objective 2/ObjectiveDAC (which I use as my reference).

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #13,254 of 23,366
Quote:
Multi-quote on a mobile device....yeah not convenient at all.

iBasso should be fine.

As DrSheep said, the C5 is a great portable amp with pretty similar performance to the O2.

Before dropping $600 on a mobile DAC/amp (let's be honest here, $600 is a TON of money for a newcomer, let alone being a student hobbyist such as myself), I would recommend starting at a more reasonable price point such as the FiiO devices and move up from there. FiiO E7 and E17 are great DAC/amps for the price and the Schiit Magni/Modi would be a great starting reference setup, similar to the Objective 2/ObjectiveDAC (which I use as my reference).

Thanks, and I would skip the E17 and go for the C5 unless you REALLY need the desktop integration function with the E9K.  But again, you can get the AudioQuest DragonFly for the price of the E17 + E9K so there is really no point in my option.  Too bad NuForce discontinued their Icon Mobile, or else you will never have to look at those FiiO stuff...

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #13,255 of 23,366
Quote:
I know but she is only 23 and she is growing up, she is experimenting and trying different styles. I really liked our song and forever and always back in the day. 

yea and forever and always was my favorite at on point, noticed her songs slowly go to pop from her first album - all country 2nd album mostly country some pop, 3rd album some country mostly pop, and finally the 4th album pop with a little dubstep haha

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #13,256 of 23,366
i use my sony A865 3.5mm-3.5mm+fiio e17. im no audio engineer but i happen to have pretty good ears, and this seems to have the best synergy with the m100, i just cant imagine it sounding any better(for the m100)(and i have herd many flagship headphones/ amps/dacs). i also have an ibasso t5 which the input and output jacks broke within a week... regretted buying the ibasso only because of that and they wouldent pay for the unit to be resent to ibasso in china which would cost me 50$+ so i use the e17. but i digress the ibasso had a much "silkier" sound.
there are also things i like about the e17 more though(more volume, eq, e09k dac functionality)
hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back