V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 27, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #13,231 of 23,366
Quote:
Linkin Park sounds pretty good with the M-100 for the most part. It's probably a personal preference, but I would prefer to have a little more treble energy for the cymbals and snare drums to really shine and rock-on to, but the M-100's highs are still pretty good. The bass pedals sound really good with the M-100's bass, chest-hitting, and the extension is great too. The male vocals are somewhat veiled and laid-back by the big bass, but they are still quite listenable and easy to sing along to. Instrument separation is pretty good with the M-100's too so the instruments are pretty easy to identify and aren't all blended together.

As for bassy music, yup the M-100's will likely satisfy you if you like the UE6000. The UE6000 is a really great headphone in the $200 range, but the M-100's add another layer of resolution that I think makes it worth the price difference.

Do i need to amp it or not? because I'll use it with my iphone 4

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #13,232 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Linkin Park sounds pretty good with the M-100 for the most part. It's probably a personal preference, but I would prefer to have a little more treble energy for the cymbals and snare drums to really shine and rock-on to, but the M-100's highs are still pretty good. The bass pedals sound really good with the M-100's bass, chest-hitting, and the extension is great too. The male vocals are somewhat veiled and laid-back by the big bass, but they are still quite listenable and easy to sing along to. Instrument separation is pretty good with the M-100's too so the instruments are pretty easy to identify and aren't all blended together.

As for bassy music, yup the M-100's will likely satisfy you if you like the UE6000. The UE6000 is a really great headphone in the $200 range, but the M-100's add another layer of resolution that I think makes it worth the price difference.

Do i need to amp it or not? because I'll use it with my iphone 4

Do you NEED an amp? Nah. The M-100's still sound good straight out of the iPhone 4S.

A note about amping though:
Short answer: amping does help for instrument definition and overall clarity and coloured amps with good "synergy" with the M-100 can help bring out the treble and midrange for rock-like music genres.

Long answer: amping does help somewhat. The purpose of an amp, traditionally, is to provide more power to the headphone if something can't power it properly. Of course having an amp also introduces different amounts of distortion and whatnot, which is why not all amps sound the same. I own a couple of really clean-sounding amps (JDS Labs Objective 2 and C5), and one good but not as clean budget one (FiiO E7). I've found that between the three, the Objective 2 made the M-100's shine the most. Sound signature-wise the M-100's hardly change at all (as they shouldn't for a transparent amp like the O2), but in terms of instrument separation and definition, things are much better than through any other amp (internal or external), I've tried. So for slightly altering the presentation of the headphones, yes I think the M-100 can benefit from an amp. It will probably sound better with amps of better "synergy", or amps being coloured so the M-100's flaws are "fixed" with the amp's sound signature, but I'm not a fan of those kind of purchases (I think of it as buying a super-expensive sound equalizer).

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ok, I didn't think of this, thanks.  I guess we can do another accessory to get free XLs.

EDIT IDEA - perhaps any purchase >$20 on V-MODA.com gets free XL with proof of serial #. This way you can get extra cases, boompro, coilpro, slipmats, shields, shirt, 1/4", cables, in-ears, whatever you want.

Thanks for helping me MAKE this promotion!

The coupon code as of yesterday only worked when you had the faders in the shopping cart

Ah I see. That works for me, but for others they may want to wait a bit until Val confirms, or not, the above offer.

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #13,233 of 23,366
because I'll buy it in singapore and they only have the ibasso d-zero, is that good enough?

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #13,234 of 23,366
Quote:
coloured amps with good "synergy" with the M-100 can help bring out the treble and midrange for rock-like music genres.

What portable amps would you recommend for that?

I'm happy with my M-100, but I'm a newbie here and think I need to compare them with some other balanced headphones in the same league to see if there's much difference...

BTW, as some of you guys said, is more likely to see people here complaining about conformt, sound, etc... than those that are happy with it. I just want to say that I totally love the hinges and its portability. For me it was the key when chosing headphones and is what makes my experience far better than it would be with other headphones, regardless the sound (which is great anyway).

(sorry for my english, I'm spanish 
smile.gif
 )

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #13,238 of 23,366
Quote:
Cuz I have 950 in amazon gift card

Dang wish I had that much, I would totally get the m100 and verza combo, which I am sure you are getting :). Anyway I see you like taylor swift :wink: Let me say she sounds amazing in the m100's. My sister is her biggest fan and she has every cd, so I ripped it in the highest quality. It is amazing when she sings you could just hear her breathe and the smoothness of her voice is amazing. And the clarity in the m100 is just gold. The drum beat is so bumping, you'll definitely start dancing after you hear this. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #13,239 of 23,366
Dang wish I had that much, I would totally get the m100 and verza combo, which I am sure you are getting :). Anyway I see you like taylor swift :wink: Let me say she sounds amazing in the m100's. My sister is her biggest fan and she has every cd, so I ripped it in the highest quality. It is amazing when she sings you could just hear her breathe and the smoothness of her voice is amazing. And the clarity in the m100 is just gold. The drum beat is so bumping, you'll definitely start dancing after you hear this. 

Pfft I already dance to it and no I'm not gonna pay like 600 for an amp

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #13,240 of 23,366
Quote:
Pfft I already dance to it and no I'm not gonna pay like 600 for an amp

yea it sounds good unamped, I believe it doesn't really make it a big difference. Any off topic here, since my sister is a tay tay fan I somewhat became one, what is your favorite song by her? I feel like the M100 does really well with taylor swift. It provides some what a warm and natural sound, this is comparing to the m50's. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #13,242 of 23,366
Quote:
because I'll buy it in singapore and they only have the ibasso d-zero, is that good enough?

Should be, but there is no hurry to get an AMP/DAC for the M-100.  The JDS C5 is another hot item right now.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #13,244 of 23,366
Quote:

yea it sounds good unamped, I believe it doesn't really make it a big difference. Any off topic here, since my sister is a tay tay fan I somewhat became one, what is your favorite song by her? I feel like the M100 does really well with taylor swift. It provides some what a warm and natural sound, this is comparing to the m50's. 

It doesn't NEED an amp, but the Verza makes a HUGE difference...

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #13,245 of 23,366
Amping the M-100 with my cMoy doesn't make a huge difference, but the bass boost is very powerful and really helps when I'm out and about in the noisy streets. At home I turn the bass boost off.

As for Ms. Swift, I like "22" and "I Knew You Were Trouble."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back