V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 15, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #12,301 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
I really dont know if I should buy these headphones. I like the design and the build quality. But the sound, it seems there are a lot of different opinions. I will mainly use them to listen to jazz, some rock like dream theater, pink floyd, rush and so on. Maybe some gaming at home, the boom Mic is a huge bonus there!

The only headphones I have been using lately is focal spirit one, and they are just too boring.

I am one of the biggest M-100 fans out there, but I don't think they are ideal for jazz because of the emphasized bass.  I think you would be better served by the PSB M4U1 as they are more neutral, but not boring like I have heard about the Focal.

I think some jazz sounds good with the M-100's. Piano/keyboards have some nice weight to them so if you listen to smooth jazz that emphasises those instruments, I think the M-100's sound fine with that kind of jazz. Fourplay sounds pretty nice, but yeah the in-your-face bass guitar does get a little distracting.

I'm playing some Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3DS bundle I got yesterday and the M-100's sound passable out of the 3DS. The bass is pretty heavy for the amazing (orchestrated?) soundtrack though since I don't get the regular "this soundtrack is EPIC!" kind of feeling like I do with most Fire Emblem games.

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #12,302 of 23,366
Anyone compared the Beyerdynamic DT 1350's to the M-100's. Im wondering if there on the same level or one is better han the other.

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #12,303 of 23,366
I have both and prefer the highs on the the DT1350'S, the mids are about even, but the Beyers vocals are more transparent. The M100's have a wider soundstage and more impactful bass and midbass. The Beyers go deeper, but there's not much punch. For hip hop and bass heavy music, I would go with the M100's. For jazz, I would go with the DT1350'S.
The M100's are also easier to drive.

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #12,304 of 23,366
So the right hinge is becoming wobbly, very noticeably so. It might be from DJing, constantly moving the left cup off and on my ear, but I don't know. 

Is anyone else who's owned the M-100s since the original, or second round of pre-orders having any hinge wobble?

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #12,305 of 23,366
Quote:
So the right hinge is becoming wobbly, very noticeably so. It might be from DJing, constantly moving the left cup off and on my ear, but I don't know. 

Is anyone else who's owned the M-100s since the original, or second round of pre-orders having any hinge wobble?

The hinge? Mine has always been a bit wobbly (I have one from the VTF batch). Tightening the hex screws didn't do anything about it so don't bother adjusting those. It wobbles when you try to rotate it, correct? (rotate as in the earcups are facing you and you move the earcup left/right)
My left earcup has more wobble than my right one.

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #12,306 of 23,366
I just ordered my M-100 shadows to replace my HFI-580's.  As with any headphone, it is apparent that it really depends on each persons individual taste in music and sound to figure out if a headphone is right for them or not.  You can only read so many reviews before you have to try them out yourself.  I can't wait for these to arrive to see if it lives up to the hype it's getting on head-fi.

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #12,307 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

The hinge? Mine has always been a bit wobbly (I have one from the VTF batch). Tightening the hex screws didn't do anything about it so don't bother adjusting those. It wobbles when you try to rotate it, correct? (rotate as in the earcups are facing you and you move the earcup left/right)

My bad, upon further inspection, the hinge is fine, it was actually the hex screws that the CliqHinge connect to the fork part with the cup. Tightening the screws in fact did help, and I panicked for a moment as I forgot where I put the hex key, but I was smart and put it in the box 
size]

In the picture above I've already tightened the screws, but it was the lower two in question that I had to tighten. They were actually quite loose, I recommend keeping the hex key in a safe place for adjustments, it might mean having a functioning headphone or not. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #12,308 of 23,366
Quote:
I just ordered my M-100 shadows to replace my HFI-580's.  As with any headphone, it is apparent that it really depends on each persons individual taste in music and sound to figure out if a headphone is right for them or not.  You can only read so many reviews before you have to try them out yourself.  I can't wait for these to arrive to see if it lives up to the hype it's getting on head-fi.

^^this^^

But I had the M80's myself and they were awesome. So if that's any indication I am very confident on the M100.

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #12,309 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My bad, upon further inspection, the hinge is fine, it was actually the hex screws that the CliqHinge connect to the fork part with the cup. Tightening the screws in fact did help, and I panicked for a moment as I forgot where I put the hex key, but I was smart and put it in the box 
size]

In the picture above I've already tightened the screws, but it was the lower two in question that I had to tighten. They were actually quite loose, I recommend keeping the hex key in a safe place for adjustments, it might mean having a functioning headphone or not. 

Heh, well glad it worked for you. 
tongue.gif

I tightened mine and they're still loose for me. I think the actual discs of the hinge are loose for me, not the way the hinge is attached (what the hex screws are for).

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #12,310 of 23,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Heh, well glad it worked for you. 
tongue.gif

I tightened mine and they're still loose for me. I think the actual discs of the hinge are loose for me, not the way the hinge is attached (what the hex screws are for).

Aw, damn. That's too bad it didn't work for you... Have you tried tightening the bolts that hold the hinge together?

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #12,311 of 23,366
Ah Miceblue, I love me a bit of game music :D
I could probably be considered sad, but I have an entire collection of VGZ (VGM) files playable on my phone using an app and love to occasionally put some on random

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/65438556
Releasing on CD

A really kewl artist I have on Soundcloud btw:
https://soundcloud.com/airstyle/airstyle-moisture-2010-edit

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #12,312 of 23,366
I lost my first girlfriend to Fire Emblem (among other things), so I've never been able to get into it. That, and I donated my last game boy to a kid whose family had lost their home in a flood and weren't going to be able to afford Christmas presents (at least the kind of gifts they were expecting).

If we're talking jazz & videogame soundtracks, how does the Halo ODST soundtrack fare on the M-100? Love the sax.
[Video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okFLt9lGxlc&sns=em[/video]

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #12,314 of 23,366
I did a quick comparison to the M-80 (by request of another member).  The results of my comparison are below.

V-Moda M-Class Shootout

Big vs Small

A warmer linear sound is really what made Head-Fi fall in love with the V-Moda M-80.  To this day, it remains one of the headphones that can still be recommended for by fashion and sound.  Many wanted an over-ear version of the M-80.  While some were disappointed that the M-100 didn’t live up to this wish, it still remains a great headphone nonetheless.  It makes a great contrasting headphone to the M-80.  It’s not a complete upgrade, but a good one regardless.

Both headphones can easily be driven by my iPod Touch 5G without the need of an amp.  That is the source used for the comparison.

Fit

The first difference between these two is not in their sound; rather, their form factor.  The M-100s are an upgrade in terms of comfort between the two headphones in terms of fit for me.  Unless, of course you have a tiny head (the M-80 can fit more comfortably on a smaller head).  Both, of course, aren’t without their problems.  Eventually, both headbands will cause some discomfort due to their weight.  The M-80s ear cups are soft, like the M-100s.  However, the M-80s may cause a bit of discomfort after a while.  The M-100 on the other hand may be a little shallow for most people.  

Regardless, I was able to get a good few hours with both headphones without the need to take them off.  I did get slight discomfort here and there though (headband).  

Sound

The M-80s offer a more linear sound with a bit of mid-bass to keep them interesting.  The M-100s are a v-shaped signature that quickens the bass decay a bit to keep it from overwhelming the mids.  Both headphones are great, they both compliment each other very well.

Bass

Despite what the graphs show, the M-100’s bass doesn’t seem to be much bigger than the M-80s.  Yes, it’s bumped up, but only by a few dB max.  The M-100 has a larger emphasis on the lower-sub bass to create much more delicate texturing over the M-80 while having a tighter punch.  This does come with a slight loss of impact though.  The M-80s have a bigger low-to-mid-bass emphasis so the punches hit harder, and impacts have a bit of slam behind them.  

Mids

If the M-100 has a weakness, it’s the midrange.  The M-80s really do a much better job focusing on the lower midrange detailing and retrieval besting the M-100 at both of these tasks.  The M-100s are able to matchup with the M-80 in the upper-midrange clarity for instrumentals.  Same goes for the upper vocals as well as they carry great energy with them.  Though the M-80 perform the lower vocals amazingly, the M-100 aren’t too far behind in this area.

Highs

Both of these headphones do a beautiful job rendering the lower treble region.  They actually have similar snare snaps that give quite a bit of energy into the upper ranges.  The M-100 does have a little better presence and dominance in this area though.  Both of these headphones can extend quite a bit into the upper treble as well.  The M-80, however, is a little reserved in this area in comparison to the M-100.  It also seems to extend a little bit further than the M-80s as well being able to uncover a little more detail.

Final Thoughts

In reality, the choice of headphone will still go down to the signature preference, as well as fit preferences.  The M-100 is still audiophile friendly, but diverges from the more accurate line the M-80 creates.  Still, you can’t go wrong either direction.  The M-100 give you more of a musical sense to the music while the M-80s try to stay more accurate, but also stay in touch with its musical side.  The choice is yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back