V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #10,426 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm so happy people are happy... A lot of hard work went into these products (AND VAMP VERZA) this year and I am THRILLED people can enjoy them finally.

I am reading every single word on the internet to gain deeper knowledge of every user experience... I'm amped about CNET's editor's choice award and the listening stations I am rolling out worldwide by January.

Onward..

-V

Any updates about the cables section on your website?
Looking for more information on the boom pro mic, the coil cables, and an updated ETA of the velor pads for M100.
Thanks Val, your the best! :)

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #10,427 of 23,366
I guess my neighbors will hold them until further notice. It's a shame, they haven't even moved in yet 
mad.gif
 I really doubt that I will get them anytime soon. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #10,428 of 23,366
Hey guys, first post in this thread, it actually has nothing to do with M-100s but I didnt want to spam the forum with a new thread for it.

Just around half an hour ago I opened my shipment from V-Moda of a new pair of custom shields and a single button speak-easy remote cable. I bought the single button remote so I could use it with my HTC EVO Shift 4G, but it actually barely works. The play and pause function works perfectly, but when I double click it just calls the most recent number in my call history. I deleted my call history to see if that helps but it does nothing now. The triple click just pauses the song and then starts to play it again.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #10,429 of 23,366
Yeah i'm loving the sound of these...

sigh....see....good headphones...they make you fall in love with your music all over again...like:

I listened to Alicia Keys sing: "baby baby baaaaabaaaay!" ....and i couldn't help but say "hey! ..I heard you the first time!"

I listened to some salsa stuff I have... and I'll be damned ... all of a sudden I know spanish now! *sings* Todo Tiene Su Finaaaal!

And that's what good headphones do for me...Val has gotten me and Alicia back together and...now i know spanish.  I think that's a good 300 dollar investment.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #10,430 of 23,366
Quote:
ok so i got mine and have been listening and....i just don't consider these bass heavy at all...there is very clean bass...but not the kind of bass I was expecting from the reviews most have been giving...

...now don't get me wrong...it sounds good...the whole package feels like quality sound...but i can see some bass heads wanting more. i've been listening through my pc and zune ...gonna hook it up to my receiver and see what i think about it then... but my initial impression is...i might want a digizoid 2.3 to bump it up a bit for portable use.

You don't think the M-100's are bass heavy at all?
eek.gif

Even Tyll of Innerfidelity thought the bass boost was excessive.
Quote:
Now, the big bass can get in the way at times. It's weird having Linda Ronstadt and the Nelson Riddle Orchestra up on stage and the bass player sitting in your lap. And I've got some orchestral tracks where the concert hall's air conditioning rumble is downright distracting.
The V-Moda M-100 has dramatically emphasized bass, nominally up about 8-9dB over the mid-range. That's a lot of bass, and it starts to kick in from 400Hz to 200Hz. I would have preferred the bass boost to happen about 100Hz lower. For acoustic music and smooth Jazz like Foreplay or Dave Grusin, this upper bass/low mids accentuation is a bit too thick.

So if I may ask again, how does one prefer to listen to bassy headphones when it makes the rest of the music sound totally unrealistic and not enjoyable to listen to (at least for me)? It just doesn't make any sense to me at all. I don't want to start a flame war here [again] but listening to a super bassy headphone like the Sony XB_00 or the Beats...(yeah Beats again) wasn't a very enjoyable listening experience as it killed the rest of the sound spectrum.

Quote:
It should.  I have been burning it in for the past 24 hours now but didn't notice much improvement.

I burned mine in for 144+ hours straight with pink noise and I noticed very little, if any differences between the out-of-the-box M-100 and the "burned-in" M-100.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #10,431 of 23,366
Quote:
eek.gif

So if I may ask again, how does one prefer to listen to bassy headphones when it makes the rest of the music sound totally unrealistic and not enjoyable to listen to (at least for me)? It just doesn't make any sense to me at all. I don't want to start a flame war here [again] but listening to a super bassy headphone like the Sony XB_00 or the Beats...(yeah Beats again) wasn't a very enjoyable listening experience as it killed the rest of the sound spectrum.

I burned mine in for 144+ hours straight with pink noise and I noticed very little, if any differences between the out-of-the-box M-100 and the "burned-in" M-100.

It is all subjective.  For me, that is what makes the M-100 so special- I feel V-Moda found a way to provide powerful bass than enhances and complements the rest of the music.  After listening to the M-100, I feel most other midrange headphones are missing something on the low end that completes the package.

I also think you know better than to compare the M-100 to Beats or Sony XB.........

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #10,432 of 23,366
Quote:
eek.gif

I think you have to keep a bit of perspective here. Tyll said these cans are fantastic for more modern music. His aim with that talk of the accentuation being too much was in particular geared towards classical and jazz pieces (to which I agree doesn't produce the best possible reproduction). I'd imagine that someone hunting for basshead cans would be someone aiming for electronic or hip hop, something that has that bass emphasis, as opposed to something that benefits more from the extra bass emphasis. It's not bass heavy like some other cans that bassheads would probably consider, but I think AMG J has a good point in saying that it's a very clean bass, which is why Anakchan's statement that it's a headphone that does give you an appreciation of good bass fits. Of course, it's a genre specific headphone, but the extra bass might be okay as long as it doesn't bass bleed like the Beats, which have an exceptionally distasteful amount of bleed.

The M-100 hits me for the right amount of bass, and any more would be too much for me personally though in most cases. I disagree with Tyll's assertion that they're basshead cans, but they do have a bass emphasis (see V-Moda's chart that was posted some pages back)

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #10,433 of 23,366
Quote:
Just got my pair in the mail today!

First impressions after about just an hr of use:

Comfort- Very comfortable! no problems so far
Bass- Its very textured and accurate. I dont think it bleeds into the mids at all either However, it is a little much for my taste. I would prefer slightly less bass
Tremble- Very detailed and I can hear a lot of instruments in the background (not as much as my k167s though). I would also prefer the tremble to be more upfront. 
Mids: Mids sound pretty good. wouldnt say they are amazing, but they are very pleasing and rich. 

P.S. Anyone know if burnin improves vmoda headphones?

Glad you like them.  fyi- high end is treble.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #10,434 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
ok so i got mine and have been listening and....i just don't consider these bass heavy at all...there is very clean bass...but not the kind of bass I was expecting from the reviews most have been giving...

...now don't get me wrong...it sounds good...the whole package feels like quality sound...but i can see some bass heads wanting more. i've been listening through my pc and zune ...gonna hook it up to my receiver and see what i think about it then... but my initial impression is...i might want a digizoid 2.3 to bump it up a bit for portable use.

eek.gif

I think you're just being a little too critical of people's preferences. I personally love bass, and if it's 'sitting on my lap', awesome. I've heard the Beats and the quantity IS excessive for someone who also appreciates the rest of the spectrum, but some people might find the highs getting in the way of their basshead needs. I don't get it either, why destroy the rest of the spectrum with something so over powering, but that's exactly what some bassheads go for. I've noticed the Basshead club is in love with the XB series, but I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole, based soley on the fact that they don't even do bass WELL ENOUGH-- for me -- to sacrifice the rest of the spectrum, and they still bass boost. All the best to them, really. Who am I to judge?

I'm going to try out the ZO with M-100s, and I'm probably gonna just laugh a nervous laugh at how rediculous the bass can get with these headphones. If that's the case, I'll go all over the basshead club singing its praises, and most likely not even use the ZO with the M-100 myself, but I know at least ONE thread who will eat it up.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #10,435 of 23,366
Quote:
eek.gif

Yeah I starting to notice that higher end IEMs and low impedance headphones need very little to no burn in time.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #10,436 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
eek.gif

I think you're just being a little too critical of people's preferences. I personally love bass, and if it's 'sitting on my lap', awesome. I've heard the Beats and the quantity IS excessive for someone who also appreciates the rest of the spectrum, but some people might find the highs getting in the way of their basshead needs. I don't get it either, why destroy the rest of the spectrum with something so over powering, but that's exactly what some bassheads go for. I've noticed the Basshead club is in love with the XB series, but I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole, based soley on the fact that they don't even do bass WELL ENOUGH-- for me -- to sacrifice the rest of the spectrum, and they still bass boost. All the best to them, really. Who am I to judge?

I'm going to try out the ZO with M-100s, and I'm probably gonna just laugh a nervous laugh at how rediculous the bass can get with these headphones. If that's the case, I'll go all over the basshead club singing its praises, and most likely not even use the ZO with the M-100 myself, but I know at least ONE thread who will eat it up.

Quote:
Quote:
eek.gif

It is all subjective.  For me, that is what makes the M-100 so special- I feel V-Moda found a way to provide powerful bass than enhances and complements the rest of the music.  After listening to the M-100, I feel most other midrange headphones are missing something on the low end that completes the package.

I also think you know better than to compare the M-100 to Beats or Sony XB.........

Quote:
Quote:
eek.gif

I think you have to keep a bit of perspective here. Tyll said these cans are fantastic for more modern music. His aim with that talk of the accentuation being too much was in particular geared towards classical and jazz pieces (to which I agree doesn't produce the best possible reproduction). I'd imagine that someone hunting for basshead cans would be someone aiming for electronic or hip hop, something that has that bass emphasis, as opposed to something that benefits more from the extra bass emphasis. It's not bass heavy like some other cans that bassheads would probably consider, but I think AMG J has a good point in saying that it's a very clean bass, which is why Anakchan's statement that it's a headphone that does give you an appreciation of good bass fits. Of course, it's a genre specific headphone, but the extra bass might be okay as long as it doesn't bass bleed like the Beats, which have an exceptionally distasteful amount of bleed.

The M-100 hits me for the right amount of bass, and any more would be too much for me personally though in most cases. I disagree with Tyll's assertion that they're basshead cans, but they do have a bass emphasis (see V-Moda's chart that was posted some pages back)

Yeah I suppose this is all true.

I dunno about you guys, but the midrange even with modern music is still there, and the M-100's midrange is still laid-back; so even with modern music, I don't completely feel "into" the music. I'm listening to T-Swift's Speak Now album and it's pretty noticeable that the whole midrange is a few steps back from the bass, and the drumset even further back...it just doesn't sound very lively and engaging to me. I don't think her new Red album would sound much better as it's more poppy and less country, thus making the midrange seem even more laid-back than in Speak Now. The same observations are "seen" with Katy Perry albums, T.I., Timbaland, Carly Rae Jepsen, Far East Movement, Jason Mraz...and the list goes on. I have my fair share in modern music and the midrange just doesn't groove with modern vocal-based tracks in my honest opinion; I certainly don't sing their songs "karaoke-style" like I would with a more midrange-focused headphone.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #10,437 of 23,366
Quote:

yeah...what he said!  however...im gonna flat out and say i hate beats...i think you have a misconception that bassheads love dre's beats and we look for head phones that can only produce deep ...impactful bass and nothing else.  but...thats not true.  See what you forget is that headphones are attempting to do something that my living room does effortlessly....produces deep..airy....impactful bass that can truely be felt WITHOUT drowning out mids and highs.  the perfect storm. :)

All I can say is... it makes your skin crawl when you hear/feel it.  And I think that is what a true basshead is after.  I'm looking to get what my living room does in a set of cans i bring anywhere....and bass is a serious part of that equation.  Music is not something you are ONLY suppose to only hear....you gotta feel it too! :wink:

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #10,438 of 23,366
Call me when they make a living room sounding can for $300! I'll be all over it!
I'm tempted to get these since my M-80 isn't very comfortable, but i LOVE the sound. It would be the perfect set if the 160Hz and lower were 3dBs louder. SERIOUSLY.
The M-100 looks to be very close. Tyll and HA liked it so... they influence me. But, Miceblue isn't exactly blown away and he is one of the more active M-100 owners here. So I'm just 2/3 sure that I want them, haha.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #10,439 of 23,366
Quote:
Call me when they make a living room sounding can for $300! I'll be all over it!
I'm tempted to get these since my M-80 isn't very comfortable, but i LOVE the sound. It would be the perfect set if the 160Hz and lower were 3dBs louder. SERIOUSLY.
The M-100 looks to be very close. Tyll and HA liked it so... they influence me. But, Miceblue isn't exactly blown away and he is one of the more active M-100 owners here. So I'm just 2/3 sure that I want them, haha.

Just because I'm more critical of the M-100 doesn't mean it's a bad headphone. XD

I like mah mids forward and in-focus when needed, clear upper-treble, and wide soundstage for home listening for a large range of music genres...all of which are not the M-100's strong point. Mods and earpad swapping can only help it so much (I still think DigitalFreak's mod is the best and easiest to install; it's a Quick-Fix <- TF2 reference anyone?).

Like I said, the M-100's are still my #1 portable headphone of choice, so I like the M-100 as it is perfect for that purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back