V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #6,528 of 23,366
Looks like more will be released by December - a perfect birthday present to myself since my birthday's on the 1st. Here's to hoping I'll get to pick one up by then with some gun metal or chrome shields. So excited. Thanks for all the updates and all your effort Val!

Sep 20, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #6,529 of 23,366
Wow this thread exploded since my last post. I also vote to delay and get every unit verified and signed off by Val. As much as I would like to have the headphones by the 28th since I'm going on vacation, I don't mind a delay if it means theres an absolute 100% chance that it will be perfect! I chose the 3 day shipping, so as long as it gets shipped by tuesday it will hopefully get to me in time :)

Sep 20, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #6,530 of 23,366
Quote:
WOW!!! I'm still glad I got white, but damn that looks cool!
Is anyone else from Australia getting these? I might be the only person in my country to have these! Cool!

Another Aussie preorder here. I've been lurking and following this thread since the beginning but preordered at the first chance possible. I'm also getting white but after seeing the black ones, I'd be just as happy with either.

I've actually never seen a V-Moda headphone in the wild here.

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #6,533 of 23,366
Okay I was wrong. The Microsoft Store in my area DOES have a few V-MODA Crossfade M-80's to "demo", except they're hidden in the Xbox 360 playing area (AKA the back corner of the store where no one goes).

^ *gigidy gigidy*

^ Note: I do not believe that is a coiled cable from V-MODA

Yes that M-80 is hooked up to my own gear. :3
Comparing it to the Amperior in the Apple Store (right above the Microsoft Store on the 2nd floor in the mall), the M-80 had significantly less bass impact, rolled-off highs, and clearer/cleaner/more accurate mids. The mids were not recessed, nor laid back, but they weren't what I would call forward either. The timbre sounded pretty good given my surroundings. Isolation was OK, not bad, but not nearly as good as the Amperior. They certainly don't have the kind of isolation I would need in a bus or airplane. The bass of the M-80 seemed slightly accentuated to me, but not overly so. The soundstage of the M-80 is actually pretty decent for a closed-back headphone.

Giving the same pair of Amperiors a second round after 2.5 weeks of letting them burn-in at the Apple Store, I still conclude that they are quite sibilant (less so than before, but nonetheless still there), the mids seem more metallic or hollow compared to the M-80, and the bass is really powerful (too much for my liking, but I can see why people would love it for electronic music). The M-80's mids sounded smooth and lush in comparison to the Amperior, but slower in comparison.

^ Not that it matters too much, but I think I'm wearing the Amperiors the wrong way. I figured the red earcup cable indicates the Right audio channel, but the cable usually goes on the Left side of a headphone...Sennheiser failed to put any L/R indicators on the headphone unless I missed it after inspecting the headphone itself for 30 seconds.

Gigi Leung - How I wish (midrange testing)
Jane Zhang - Heat (upper-midrange, bass, and sibilance testings)
Joanna Wang - Lost in Paradise (midrange and highs testing)
Joanna Wang - As Love Begins to Mend (midrange testing)
Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls (midrange, bass, and timbre testings)
Yosi Horikawa - Bubbles (soundstage, midrange, bass testings)
Malice Mizer - Le Ciel (soundstage, bass, midrange, highs, and timbre testings)
Isaac Hayes - Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic (soundstage, midrange, sibilance, and timbre testings)
Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2) (soundstage, midrange, and bass testings)
Fila Brazillia - Heat Death of the Universe (sub-bass testing)
Massive Attack - Teardrop (midrange, bass, and sibilance testings)
Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe (I only like the keyboard synthesizer portion of the song...cuz I'm weird like that)
Gabriela Montero - G. Sanz/Canarios (midrange and timbre testings)
Battles - Futura (midrange, bass punch, and highs testings)

All songs are in FLAC format; most of them are ripped from CD using EAC

To be dead, brutally honest, I actually prefer the sound of my Sennheiser HD238 over both the Amperior and the M-80 because the midrange is much clearer and sound more accurate-sounding than either of those headphones while keeping the bass right in the middle of the two (not as much impact and presence as the Amperior, but more than the M-80) to my ears. Charts on Innerfidelity look like they agree with my observations. The only downside is the fact that they're open-back and are completely useless on the bus. Trust me I've tried it and it's ridiculous (Sansa Clip Zip with volume at -2 dB, +24 dB bass boost, -15 dB treble decrease, max volume on my FiiO E7 with bass boost setting 3). XD

Given that the M-100 is an improvement over the M-80, I am actually even more excited to hear the M-100 than before. More treble extension, maybe some sparkle, more forward mids, punchier, deeper bass are on my wishlist, and it seems to be on others' lists as well.

One of my only complaint for the M-80, and I think I will happen to the M-100 as well, is the lack of being able to angle the headphones properly on my ear. My Shure SRH940 and HD238 headphones both have swivel earcups along the z-axis (z-axis is pointed upwards from the earcup towards the headband) so it's easy to adjust to the angle my ears are. The M-80 on the other hand didn't have that rotational freedom so I was forced to do what Tyll does, which is to bend the headband towards me to allow the earcups to point slightly outward. Hm...this problem screams "Revolver".

After my headphone assessments at the Apple and Microsoft stores, I'm starting to lose faith in the "premium" consumer headphone market...sooooo many of those headphones just sounded soooo bad. Even Harman Kardon and B&W headphones sounded "bleh" to me. I'm glad V-MODA isn't going in the celebrity headphone direction because those headphones sound...well we all know about them. :frowning2:

Actually, believe it or not, the Monster Inspiration and Beats Mixr headphones sounded pretty decent, being 2 of the 3 headphones I would actually listen to for more than 2 minutes. And yes, I think the Mixr sounds better than the Pro, unless my cable connection was really bad since I had a hard time getting it to work with the Pro.

I took a ton of photos with my 3 megapixel "smart" phone during my "adventure" today. I have to wonder what the employees were thinking, especially considering I brought my own mini plug-mini plug cable and MP3 player while unplugging the stock cables from the headphones. XD

Apparently the Apple Store I went to has the largest Genius Bar in the world, even surpassing the one in the New York store. Reason being is that the "bar" is really just a 40-ish foot long table and all 4 sides of the table are used for customers instead of the 1 or 3 sides in other stores. Also, when at the Genius Bar, the employee who helped me thought that albums "Mastered for iTunes" meant lossless files. I give him credit for trying though, he honestly had no idea what it was.

Oh and I don't think I need to say it, but I vote for a delay. Quality is #1.

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #6,535 of 23,366
Returning my Momentums because the earcups are too small. Does anyone know how wide the earcups on these are? I can't wait to pick up a pair of the gunmetal.

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #6,537 of 23,366
Quote:

Woah, hey, hang on man. How do they sound?

They sound great. I'm really sad. I want to love them so badly, but they just make my ears twitch and hurt. I can ignore it after a while but every time I take them off I spend another 10 minutes screwing around trying to get them just right. Check the Momentum thread, last 10 pages or so if you want my (and a few others') impressions.

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #6,538 of 23,366
Quote:

They sound great. I'm really sad. I want to love them so badly, but they just make my ears twitch and hurt. I can ignore it after a while but every time I take them off I spend another 10 minutes screwing around trying to get them just right. Check the Momentum thread, last 10 pages or so if you want my (and a few others') impressions.

It would be great if you could provide a review or even just a few first impressions on the sound and such, and link it to this thread - thanks!

I also hope that my fellow M-100 owners will review and compare the M-100's against other headphones on the Closed Mid-Fi Battle 2012 Thread too!

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #6,539 of 23,366
I hate that vmoda added the midnight blue shields last minute :frowning2: I contacted customer support to go from blue to midnight blue they are just SEXY with the white m80's and will be perfect for my m100's. Hopefully they will change the order!

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #6,540 of 23,366
Quote:
[snip]...Given that the M-100 is an improvement over the M-80,...[snip]

Did Val say that?

I remember the post below:

Originally Posted by valkolton 

It's funny you mention this, I was thinking the same thing today.  The prices of M-100 is due to the new driver that has more tech than M-80s, and more features.  

The only problem now is that the bigger driver requires an amp to surpass M-80, unamped it's SQ is < M-80.  What to do?!  Lock or try again w a new driver that can beat M-80 with an iPhone 4S?  Or go for diff sound signature.  I'm stuck in my head analyzing what will make the greater sound for the greatest amount of people, it depends who is buying it!

If anybody wants to test I can organize something soon in LA to get feedback and then I can lock.
-v

But, I don't remember how that went in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back