V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 8, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #4,082 of 23,366
Question to Val,

My use of the M-100 will definitely be in quiet environments. I will listen at low volumes (lower than most people because of a condition I have.) Now more than ever, since I have been using the faders VIP daily. I used to watch movies on TV at a volume of 20-23, and now that I have the faders VIP, I watch movies on TV at volumes of 10-13 (without wearing the faders VIP!).

How is the performance of the M-100 at very low volumes without an amp? Will it suit me?
Does an amp increase volume without a person manually increasing volume on the source? I surely don't need more volume.

Thanks.

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #4,083 of 23,366
So I have been silently watching this thread for months now and I am getting excited for the release. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and man I sure hope I am one of the first soldiers to rock the M-100's in the desert. Really hoping I get a chance to get my hands on a set of the PPU's. Can't wait to show off V-Moda to my fellow Brothers in Arms.

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #4,084 of 23,366
Quote:
Wait 3 more hours before you sell anything Val! Just woke up for a night snack - I'll be up for real in 3 hours or so!
*crisses fingers harder than ever before* So excited!

Thanks!!!  I'm so amped too, I am wearing the first unit right now, the cable is shocking and looks killer. They won't go on sale quite yet until we sort and see what we "yield".

In fact, we test the FR curves at 6 points to be lower than <2dB variance.  For the first 100 units, we yielded about 50%, yet the units that didn't pass were SOOOO close you'd almost say "ok you made it" considering that some brands are up to 20dB variances.  But, thats not how we roll and a rule is a rule on our variance tolerances.  

In the end, this is very good news on the sound based on my years of experience that the yield will be >90% in both the next PP round/rework and the MP. Have no fear, the rejects aren't trashed with our on/over-ear products, they just go back to school and get new drivers/parts until they pass!  
Quote:
Question to Val,

My use of the M-100 will definitely be in quiet environments. I will listen at low volumes (lower than most people because of a condition I have.) Now more than ever, since I have been using the faders VIP daily. I used to watch movies on TV at a volume of 20-23, and now that I have the faders VIP, I watch movies on TV at volumes of 10-13 (without wearing the faders VIP!).

How is the performance of the M-100 at very low volumes without an amp? Will it suit me?
Does an amp increase volume without a person manually increasing volume on the source? I surely don't need more volume.

Thanks.

Wow, another use for faders.  Tell me more or post review on Amazon about this.  Every day I learn of more uses for Faders VIP that I never originally intended.  It is fascinating to me as I didn't test that "use case" scenerio.

Low Volume Listening and Fletcher-Munson Contours
Great question.... If you have time research the Fletcher-Munson and the perception of loudness and sound quality. It is tough because I'd need to see your audiogram to know your hearing loss in the "notch" and high frequencies as well as know the songs/genres you listen to for the optimal answer.  Since your a Faders user and obviously smart as you are here, I will assume that you have pretty good to great hearing.  Therefore, I'd have to say a resounding "YES"!  

I don't have time to do a fancy drawing now but I'm working on one. Many "audiophile brand" curves actually are not flat and from low to high the SPL is constantly rising.  OR they artifically spike the highs.  This is terrible...  Ours usually have a bass boost (ranging from medium to "freq'), but we aim to keep the mids and highs flat.  I like to say "don't get too high"  

M-100 is going to be the best low-volume listening we've made IMO because the highs have a much further extension than our other models and the overall clarity is amazing.  We do have some bass boost however, so maybe if you listen at 50% volume for older songs we can find an EQ setting that is optimal. Or... another solution is VQ:  

VQ on VAMP
The "VQ" setting on VAMP was designed to also enhance low volume listening.  VQ + M-100 is perfect for this use case, I don't know about iPhone's stock EQ settings as I never use them but I do know VAMP + M-100 + VQ is very special.

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #4,086 of 23,366
Can't wait to take these on holiday with me, strut around Barbados! Any word on the Head-fi custom shields? Would they come with the headphones or separately you think?

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #4,088 of 23,366
Don't forget to get some sleep Val! I know my ears aren't so discerning when I'm tired.

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #4,091 of 23,366
Quote:
Don't forget to get some sleep Val! I know my ears aren't so discerning when I'm tired.

True I did in between listens... my golden ear Bill is about to bring over his final analysis models to the room.  I actually am going to study the "WORSE" of the PP as much as the best if not more.  Defense is the best offense!
Quote:
Can't wait to take these on holiday with me, strut around Barbados! Any word on the Head-fi custom shields? Would they come with the headphones or separately you think?

They'll include custom shields of any color and design so get your designs ready!
Quote:
I'm hoping he waits till the weekend, I won't have the money for them until friday afternoon/evening!

Yes it'll definitely be after this weekend or around this weekend. We're close...

Quote:
So I have been silently watching this thread for months now and I am getting excited for the release. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and man I sure hope I am one of the first soldiers to rock the M-100's in the desert. Really hoping I get a chance to get my hands on a set of the PPU's. Can't wait to show off V-Moda to my fellow Brothers in Arms.

We truly salute our troops! My brother and co-founder of V-MODA is a pilot in the USAF and deployed in the middle east now as well.  V-MODA's head of sales is a former Air Force sergeant.  This Military Minded mantra helps fuel our quality defensive engineering and dedication to a cause.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #4,092 of 23,366
Awesome updates Val, keep up the good work and get some rest when you can! Although I can just imagine your adrenaline is probably pumping with this anticipated M-100 release. I'm definitely amped.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #4,093 of 23,366
What software is everyone using to edit/create their shield designs? I'm terrible at design, but would love to add something custom. I'd like to have a design ready before this weekend, thanks for the help!

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #4,094 of 23,366

We truly salute our troops! My brother and co-founder of V-MODA is a pilot in the USAF and deployed in the middle east now as well.  V-MODA's head of sales is a former Air Force sergeant.  This Military Minded mantra helps fuel our quality defensive engineering and dedication to a cause.

Thank you Val! It means alot! Will I be able to ship to a APO, AP Address?

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #4,095 of 23,366
Quote:
Awesome updates Val, keep up the good work and get some rest when you can! Although I can just imagine your adrenaline is probably pumping with this anticipated M-100 release. I'm definitely amped.

No caffeine needed, this is pure adrenaline and excitement.  I am, however, aware of the effects of listening while working out or too energetic/tired.  The blood goes to other parts of your body vs your ears and you cannot hear quite as well.

Tonight will be a good rest knowing we are close.  We must all rest our ears now after so many hours of listening.

PIC OF PACKAGE... it seems so small compared to our others with the new cases.

FYI - the hanger will match the product headband inside now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back