V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 8, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #2,941 of 23,366
Quote:

M-100 TONIGHT LIVE
Will be used by NORMAN DORAY, French Producer/DJ @ Ruby Skye in San Francisco.  Ironically, it is the place that I lost the VERY first Crossfade LP...  I'll take video! Unfortunately, 2/3 of the colors are out on loan to a large partner.

Is this for field testing purposed to make any final tweaks before pre-production or is pre-production happening as we speak?

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #2,942 of 23,366
Quote:
I think people tend to be scared of the phrase "PPU", because it might sound "unfinished". But, I think it's just a small version of "MPU" (mass production).

Knowing Val's posts, I think he wouldn't let the same product sound different in two release stages (PPU and MPU). It wouldn't make sense.

---
I would like to see (online of course) the MPU before buying the PPU, because if then I like an MPU better, I'd be like
blink.gif

Quote:
Is this for field testing purposed to make any final tweaks before pre-production or is pre-production happening as we speak?

Agreed - I rather get a "Pre-Release MPU" than a lower-end, unfinished version of the MPU (finished product) headphones. Will there be any noticeable sound difference between the PPU's offered to us and the media, and the ones made available to consumers?

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #2,944 of 23,366
I can't wait till they are released and compared to other top headphones. +9 or 8Db bass boost is quite mild for closed headphones, I wonder how they'll compare to the semi-sealed AKG 240 and my Q701 headphones. There are many other heavy-hitting full-sized cans in this price range that are comparable such as the AKG K550 and Denon AH-D2000 sealed headphones: what seems to be the main strength of these M-100 is that the super-aural (IMO the Crossfade LPs are inbetween on-ear and fully around-ear) size and fashionable styling means you can eat your audio cake and wear it outside in public, too. Here is a few similarly-priced closed cans graphed from Headroom:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=933&graphID[]=2881&graphID[]=2751&graphID[]=3571

So while I was super stoked for these, now I've had the time to consider: just how often do I want to take my headphones out of the house with me? I think that if I get a job where I'm flying or riding a streetcar/trolley/train/bus to work all the time, I will love these. Of course I would love them as a DJ, but my life has never moved in that direction.

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #2,945 of 23,366
Quote:
I can't wait till they are released and compared to other top headphones. +9 or 8Db bass boost is quite mild for closed headphones, I wonder how they'll compare to the semi-sealed AKG 240 and my Q701 headphones. There are many other heavy-hitting full-sized cans in this price range that are comparable such as the AKG K550 and Denon AH-D2000 sealed headphones: what seems to be the main strength of these M-100 is that the super-aural (IMO the Crossfade LPs are inbetween on-ear and fully around-ear) size and fashionable styling means you can eat your audio cake and wear it outside in public, too. Here is a few similarly-priced closed cans graphed from Headroom:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=933&graphID[]=2881&graphID[]=2751&graphID[]=3571
So while I was super stoked for these, now I've had the time to consider: just how often do I want to take my headphones out of the house with me? I think that if I get a job where I'm flying or riding a streetcar/trolley/train/bus to work all the time, I will love these. Of course I would love them as a DJ, but my life has never moved in that direction.

I'm going to compare them to the K550, D2k and K242HD, so watch this space.

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #2,948 of 23,366
well val i see the july 4th date didn't come to fruition so do you and your team of other people have any REAL idea as to when the M-100 will be ready for sale to consumers. I'm not looking for exact dates although that would be nice, but just an estimate is good enough for me. 

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #2,949 of 23,366
Quote:
well val i see the july 4th date didn't come to fruition so do you and your team of other people have any REAL idea as to when the M-100 will be ready for sale to consumers. I'm not looking for exact dates although that would be nice, but just an estimate is good enough for me. 

Patience is a virtue my friend. The M-100 will be released when they're ready.

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #2,950 of 23,366
Quote:
Patience is a virtue my friend. The M-100 will be released when they're ready.

Yes, the M-100 will only be released when I feel it will get 5 or 6 star reviews by the community...  in fact, by being patient in developing and testing M-80 with focus groups for nearly 6 years, it actually exceeded my calculated ratings.  You see, on-ear sound varies drastically based on the fit - so we only released it after extensive lab, focus group and ergonomic research.   

Because people are impatient (myself included), I've been around the world at headphone shows and have allowed people to give me VALUABLE feedback for over a year!  every voice counts! 

Quote:

We did lock and load the pre-production, which is happening now.  and we have the golden samples in the wild now. I also added a new color to the M-100 launch (3 total now).  I almost nixed Shadow until it was #1 on Facebook with >1200 votes!

trust me, the wait will be worth it as I ALSO will have a few surprise accessories ready for launch.  Sorry if I can't visit the forums as heavily in the next few weeks, I need to really spend a lot of time focusing on the final product.  If I miss responding then check my twitter and V-MODA facebook.  

PS - I have and will be posting new updates on V-MODA/Val Kolton twitter/FB in the coming weeks, feel free to repost hear in Head-Fi!  Norman Doray and I used them last night at Ruby Skye in SF.

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #2,951 of 23,366
Quote:
I hope Val at least conciders sending a sample to Tyll Hertsens from Innerfidelity, he would  gladly review this headphone I think. :)

We are readying PP units for Jude, Tyll, Audiophile media and the privé few!  We love to read smart reviews and watch videos that are accurate.  I think reviewers of headphones should have a license, like owning a gun (revolver of course).

Quote:
Always enjoy the updates.  Looking forward to the vid!

GRAZIE!
Quote:
A free shield kit would be rather cool.

PERFETTO.  DONE.  Free customized shield kit for PP orders.  And I'll sign something too.  Maybe a QC checklist or something hmmmm...

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #2,952 of 23,366
Quote:

We are readying PP units for Jude, Tyll, Audiophile media and the privé few!  We love to read smart reviews and watch videos that are accurate.  I think reviewers of headphones should have a license, like owning a gun (revolver of course).

Quote:

GRAZIE!

PERFETTO.  DONE.  Free customized shield kit for PP orders.  And I'll sign something too.  Maybe a QC checklist or something hmmmm...

I'm in - I'm SO IN.

Can you tell us if the PPU's will be the same as the MPU's in quality/sound?

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #2,953 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm in - I'm SO IN.

Can you tell us if the PPU's will be the same as the MPU's in quality/sound?

Yes.  We'll try to have the ordering up soon, lots of photography and marketing materials are in the worx! 

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #2,955 of 23,366
Thanks for keeping us updated Val! Can't wait to hear them already, and I'm glad you've been taking so much time perfecting the sound as well as getting others' feedback. I'm sure the final product will be amazing, considering all the hard work and dedication you've put into the M-100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back