V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 10, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #22,306 of 23,366
Loving my m-100's but I have a problem.

One of the screws on the hinge popped out and I can't find it. I used one of the screws on the shield as a substitute but it appears to be a little thinner (and longer) than the ones used for the hinges.

Does anyone know the size of the screw I should buy? I have no idea where I can get this information and google is zero help.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #22,308 of 23,366
Interesting that they don't click. Have your tried lightly pushing them in the direction they need to go to clamp shut?
Regardless of the clicking thing, you should be able to increase clamping force by pulling the earcups into wearable position, and pushing the headband in some with both hands from the left and right sides.. I forgot if you're supposed to just do that for a few seconds, or if you're supposed to leave it like that overnight or something like that.

Ah, they do still audibly click but it's just that one side clicks slightly after the first rather than together as when I got them.

I did try pulling the earcups together with minimal result, but they're minor problems for a great headphone. If anyone has any experience with increasing a minimized clamping force, feel free to chime in.

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #22,309 of 23,366

Ah, they do still audibly click but it's just that one side clicks slightly after the first rather than together as when I got them.

I did try pulling the earcups together with minimal result, but they're minor problems for a great headphone. If anyone has any experience with increasing a minimized clamping force, feel free to chime in.

You don't pull on the earcups, you push in on the headband.  The headband basically controls the clamping force.

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #22,310 of 23,366
So... I am modding my m-100. 
This is ganna sound crazy, but is there a bass mod? I googled it and it took me to THIS forum, surprise surpise. 

I just took the driver and casing apart for the first time, and I noticed a lot more ports and padding than I realized where inside.

I read that some really small changes can make a big difference in sound. For example. The only real difference between the HD-558 and 598 is a tiny sticker inside the housing. Supposedly they use the EXACT same driver and only the only difference whatsoever is some tiny sticker covering a port in the 558 (and color of the housing). People have taken the sticker off and they then sound identical to the 598. 

So has anyone tried anything like that with the m100? 

I am currently cutting the headband cable out and getting a L/R cable made. Still deciding on shields, but I have an idea... don't want to spoil it yet. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #22,311 of 23,366

I am currently cutting the headband cable out and getting a L/R cable made.

For what purpose? Just for style, or do you think it will make a difference in the sound? If it's the latter, then I'm very skeptical of that. Last year I made the following post (plus the one after it) on another topic thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/572588/audiophile-cables-an-interesting-question/1125#post_11628839

With 32-ohm headphones and a 1000-to-1 wattage ratio for the loudness level of speakers vs. headphones, we're talking a mere 1/63rd of the amount of current running through your headphone cable, versus a pair of 8-ohm speakers. Compared to 4-ohm speakers, we're looking at 1/89th the amount of current with the same loudness.

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #22,312 of 23,366

For what purpose? Just for style, or do you think it will make a difference in the sound? If it's the latter, then I'm very skeptical of that. Last year I made the following post (plus the one after it) on another topic thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/572588/audiophile-cables-an-interesting-question/1125#post_11628839

With 32-ohm headphones and a 1000-to-1 wattage ratio for the loudness level of speakers vs. headphones, we're talking a mere 1/63rd of the amount of current running through your headphone cable, versus a pair of 8-ohm speakers. Compared to 4-ohm speakers, we're looking at 1/89th the amount of current with the same loudness.

100% style only. 

Edit: I came into possession of a 2nd pair of M-100. I just want to have some fun with them. They already have two inputs. I thought why not have some fun with them. I suck at DIY stuff, but here is a chance to change things up a bit and if it goes south, I still have my vanilla pair of m-100. Thanks for the response. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #22,313 of 23,366
VModa_M80V80_photo_inside.jpg

I don't know how he did it, but this is a breakdown of the M-80 by Tyll Herstens on Innerfidelity.

I am trying to take off the wing plates on my m100. I understand this is the m-80 but I see that he got the wing plates off. 

I can't find a screw driver to fit those tiny screws? any help

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #22,314 of 23,366
  Wow this thread is HUGE! Over 22000 posts is crazy...
basshead.gif
So these must be popular around here I guess...
L3000.gif

I am currently looking to buy new head phones since my current ATH-M50 that I have been using and enjoyed greatly for the past 4.5 years are starting to give up on me. I love the sound of my ATH-M50 so do you guys think I will love these M100 cans from V-Moda?

I listen mostly to modern pop and dance pop as well as EDM and also modern violin such as Lindsey Sterling. Female vocals seem to dominate my playlist so it is important those sound good. But I also want a fun and engaging sound with a quick and snappy bass sound. Are these V-Moda perhaps too bass heavy? Do they feel to bass heavy meaning they are muddy and veiled sounding in the treble and mids? How do they compare to the ATH-M50? If I get the M100 I want it to be even better then my ATH-M50 considering the price!

How well do these isolate sounds compared to ATH-M50 and what about sound leakage? I do not want more sound leakage then the ATH-M50. Those openings/vents at the back plates is a little bit concerning in this regard...

Other headphones I am currently considering are the Sony MDR-100AAP, Sennheiser Momentum 2 around ears and Philips A5i Pro DJ headphones. Do you think I should choose the V-Moda's over those options?

Sennheiser Momentum 2(Over ear) beats V moda 100 hands down!
Dude,V moda 100 is a decent headphone with a crazy earth-shattering hype around it.Beware of falling for it! V moda has an amazing build quality and portabilty.When it comes to sound,it is average.

It depends on which music you re listening to and the source. With a good source with good amplifier it s a monster for hiphop and rnb and anyone that is Basshead

Wow this thread is HUGE! Over 22000 posts is crazy...
L3000.gif

I am currently looking to buy new head phones since my current ATH-M50 that I have been using and enjoyed greatly for the past 4.5 years are starting to give up on me. I love the sound of my ATH-M50 so do you guys think I will love these M100 cans from V-Moda?

I listen mostly to modern pop and dance pop as well as EDM and also modern violin such as Lindsey Sterling. Female vocals seem to dominate my playlist so it is important those sound good. But I also want a fun and engaging sound with a quick and snappy bass sound. Are these V-Moda perhaps too bass heavy? Do they feel to bass heavy meaning they are muddy and veiled sounding in the treble and mids? How do they compare to the ATH-M50? If I get the M100 I want it to be even better then my ATH-M50 considering the price!

How well do these isolate sounds compared to ATH-M50 and what about sound leakage? I do not want more sound leakage then the ATH-M50. Those openings/vents at the back plates is a little bit concerning in this regard...

Other headphones I am currently considering are the Sony MDR-100AAP, Sennheiser Momentum 2 around ears and Philips A5i Pro DJ headphones. Do you think I should choose the V-Moda's over those options?

How much are you willing to spend is a more important question, and like it was mentioned above, what source are you using?

Audeze deckard amp is good enough for me.I bought it along with Audeze lcd 3 as it was on discount at that time.At least for me,V moda 100 is not a monster.

But is it 6x better?

Nothing is 6 times better.I was replying to somebody who asked me a specific question.I am not comparing LCD3 with V moda 100.Please don't read posts in isolation.Hope this helps.

Actually your admonishment doesn't really help.  I did not read your posts in isolation and have been sort of looking forward to your M-100 bashing (within the V-MODA M-100 thread).  Have a nice day with your Audeze LCD3 which I could never get Wife Approval to buy.  I think my M-100 are pretty good for 1/7 the price of the LCD-3.

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #22,315 of 23,366
Sennheiser Momentum 2 has a refined sound and an amazing transparency for the price.It is genre king in its price segment.If you think V moda 100 sounds better than Sennheiser Momentum 2, ohhh dude......I get it haha! I am not bashing V moda 100. I was only helping that guy out. He himself mentioned Momentum 2 as one of his options.It looks like you haven't read that too.

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #22,316 of 23,366
Well,

i actually got the m100 when it was priced 310$, i felt before getting it that it shouldn't cost that much. ( but at the prices its going for these days, like 150$ on black friday its a steal !! )

and since i got em they have been growing up on me, even through my humble equipment inventory, they still get their listening time ..

and when it comes to bass heads, it won't take you long researching till you reach the m100 and jvc sz2000 as the top bass performers, i even enjoy the m100 more as the sz2000 has a smaller soundstage.

m100 introduced bass like no other it punches, rumbles and dances on your ear, they fit in some category of there own i guess (bass monsters, clean sounding , portable, loooooks fine)

may be they are not the most comfortable, and may be not everyone likes its signature.

but if you can i always advise to try before you buy..

and i love em !

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #22,317 of 23,366
Wow. What are you guys arguing about. The Q701 and HD650 with good amping crush the m100 any day of the week. I am sure there are 15 other headphones that destroy the M-100. 
That being said the m-100 is probably my absolute favorite cans I own. They are fun. They do stuff that no other can I have heard can do. Do this can or that can do this or that better? Sure. 
Is there any can out there like the M100? Not that I have found. So you either like it or your don't. Stop this "better" "worse" nonsense. 

Sure there are great "all rounders" out there. I would not call the m-100 an "all-rounder". Why compare them as such? 

MY QUESTION #1: Does anyone know if v-moda will sell OEM parts so we can self repair? I want to repair that ****ty plastic ring around the caseing which leads me to my second question. 

Questions #2: The White M100 and those weird Microsoft Store only chrome M100 both have a chrome looking ring instead of a black one. Is it metal? or just chrome painted plastic? 

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #22,318 of 23,366
I think everybody has a right to like what they like.  It is not about what best or whatever.  I chose them because I like their sound,  I don't care if other headphones "destroy" them I just like the signature of the M-100s and thats the end of the story.  Off course there will always be other alternatives and yes more "accurate" transparent true to "original" sound blah blah but it all comes down on what people enjoy.  And I my case I enjoy the Vmoda.  Am I am less of a headfier/audiophile because I prefer a specific colored sound, I think not.  I believe it is a choice.  So for those prospective buyers  I will just recommend to listen to them and compare them to others in the segment and choose whatever you prefer.  
Nice and simple, don't understand why we complicate things so much.

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #22,319 of 23,366
MY QUESTION #1: Does anyone know if v-moda will sell OEM parts so we can self repair? I want to repair that ****ty plastic ring around the caseing which leads me to my second question. 

Questions #2: The White M100 and those weird Microsoft Store only chrome M100 both have a chrome looking ring instead of a black one. Is it metal? or just chrome painted plastic? 

1. Not that I know of.

2. It's plastic painted to look chrome.

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #22,320 of 23,366
  HD650 with good amping crush the m100 any day of the week.
...destroy the M-100. 

In my experience, the complete opposite is true! At my local Hi-Fi shop last April, I listened to a pair of HD 650s with my brand-new Cayin C5 portable amp and my first version of Rockbox EQ presets.

Without any amp clipping, I could make the drivers on the HD650s bottom out with the beat and go "SNAP! CRACKLE! POP!" like Rice Crispies. (I talk about this in this post.) When that started happening, I quickly turned down the volume within one second of hearing that loud noise, otherwise those flimsy HD 650s would've been destroyed. Funny how those drivers are 300 ohms and my little Cayin C5 amp can only push them with 1/5th as much power as my 32-ohm M-100s, and this has never happened with my M-100s -- not even with the latest version of my EQ presets that can play deeper and can more easily max out the amp if I'm not careful.

Sure there are great "all rounders" out there. I would not call the m-100 an "all-rounder". Why compare them as such?

With Version 3.1 (i.e., the latest version) of my Rockbox EQ presets, the M-100 is the best all-rounder I've heard. I can make any music genre sound good with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back