V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 2, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #22,051 of 23,366
  Can you guys help in Suggesting best sound source?

Sure can! Check out this thread of mine, along with this one. Happy Rockboxing and EQ'ing! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #22,052 of 23,366
  Recently i purchased M100's. I'm quite impressed by the headphones ergonomics and curves
gs1000.gif

But i dont know ,it doesnt sound as much as i expected from the hype created around. I tested it on various grounds.
Before M100's i was using AKG K420.

1.Sony Xperia ZR
Result: Sound was almost same  as K420. Not much Impressive as in terms of bass.

2.Sony Xperia ZR + Fiio E12 Mont blanc
Result: Sound was bit better than K420 and its bass was quite impressive.

3. Sony Vaio F14 Series Laptop 
Result: Sound same as with Xperia ZR and K420, Not much of Difference. I felt treble is more dominant.

4.Sony Vaio F14 series Laptop + Fiio E12 
Result: Sound was out of world. Totally Blown away by the bass. Just the same way i expected it to be.

As listening from laptop is quite tedious as in terms of portability.

Can you guys help in Suggesting best sound source?

Vamp Verza does wonders with the M-100. At the new discounted price of $400 (still friggin' expensive) I think it's worth every penny considering it has Android, iOS, PC and MacOS compatibility.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #22,053 of 23,366
I have been thinking about selling some of my gear for a while, so if anyone is interested in my VERSA or VentureCraft stuff.  Please let me know.  Thanks.

Nov 13, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #22,054 of 23,366
  Vamp Verza does wonders with the M-100. At the new discounted price of $400 (still friggin' expensive) I think it's worth every penny considering it has Android, iOS, PC and MacOS compatibility.

Yes, Vamp Verza was fine tuned to match M-100, together they sound amazing....

SHIELDS:

New video on CNET of Crossfade Wireless vs M-100:

http://www.cnet.com/videos/v-modas-crossfade-wireless-headphone-takes-aim-at-apples-beats-studio-wireless/

Also, our 3D design team made this new design, check out the "golden ear" Steve Guttenberg (Audiophiliac from CNET) design we made.

The steel+metals do take a little time so order now to ensure delivery before Xmas, but if you understand the process from design to 3D printing to polishing and more, it is very complex and in fact shorter than a Nike ID shoe.  It is like commissioning a piece of art or college class ring, it isn't overnight but it is worth it, will last a lifetime and become a heirloom relic.

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #22,055 of 23,366

The presenter was wearing his glasses with his V-Modas. He was using the wireless mode (with the limited amp power), so the earpieces on his glasses probably weren't adversely affecting the sub-bass very much.

But in wired mode, running off a Cayin C5 portable amp with its bass boost switch turned on, connected to a Rockboxed iPod Classic with extreme EQ presets (with 32 Hz boosted by an additional 20 to 36dB on top of the rest), those glasses he's wearing will break the air seal around the earcups of the headphones and significantly reduce the sub-bass. In that situation, it may also sound like one side has more sub-bass than the other, due to the slightly-uneven extent that the air seal is broken on each side because of his glasses.

Anyway, as far as Beats is concerned, I seriously doubt that Beats headphones would respond very well to extreme EQ'ing with lots of amp power -- the way that M-100s do.

And in the future if I'm at a store and they have a pair of the Crossfade Wireless, I'll definitely be interested in plugging my rig up to it and comparing the sound of the CFW to my M-100s. The results of that comparison will be posted here when that time comes, guaranteed! 
L3000.gif

Nov 14, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #22,056 of 23,366

The presenter was wearing his glasses with his V-Modas. He was using the wireless mode (with the limited amp power), so the earpieces on his glasses probably weren't adversely affecting the sub-bass very much.

But in wired mode, running off a Cayin C5 portable amp with its bass boost switch turned on, connected to a Rockboxed iPod Classic with extreme EQ presets (with 32 Hz boosted by an additional 20 to 36dB on top of the rest), those glasses he's wearing will break the air seal around the earcups of the headphones and significantly reduce the sub-bass. In that situation, it may also sound like one side has more sub-bass than the other, due to the slightly-uneven extent that the air seal is broken on each side because of his glasses.

Anyway, as far as Beats is concerned, I seriously doubt that Beats headphones would respond very well to extreme EQ'ing with lots of amp power -- the way that M-100s do.

And in the future if I'm at a store and they have a pair of the Crossfade Wireless, I'll definitely be interested in plugging my rig up to it and comparing the sound of the CFW to my M-100s. The results of that comparison will be posted here when that time comes, guaranteed!  :L3000:

The glasses will affect the sound of the M100 whether it's wireless or is wired into an iPod with Rockbox and your wonderful 999999+ custom Rockbox EQ presets.

Nov 14, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #22,057 of 23,366
Only somewhat related, but I want to give a shout-out for Richard the V-moda customer support rep who sent me a replacement Y-splitter that I use with my M-100 and Boompro. I use this splitter to connect the Boompro to the Creative E5 amp/dac.  This Y-splitter broke when M-100 work just fine.

M-100 and the boompro are quite durable. I was a bit concerned if the plastic cup cover was damaged, but there's no issue on my unit. The rep thought I was asking for the whole boompro to be replaced and it took a phone call to clarify that it's just the Y-splitter. (I mistook his intention and cut up the adapter when he wanted me to destroy the boompro)

I decided against getting the Wireless because Creative E5 has Bluetooth AptX on-board come to think of it. I feel that M-100 as it is is the most survivable headphone out there.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #22,059 of 23,366
Is it just me or do the M-100 respond extremely well to lossless music? It's almost to the point that shelling out $20/month for Tidal, despite being an inferior service otherwise, might be worthwhile.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #22,060 of 23,366
  Is it just me or do the M-100 respond extremely well to lossless music? It's almost to the point that shelling out $20/month for Tidal, despite being an inferior service otherwise, might be worthwhile.

Agreed, our whole team and even Jude uses Tidal now. The sound is absolutely spectacular on our headphones.  Even if the UI/recommendations is still catching up to Spotify/etc, I cannot highly recommend it enough.

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #22,062 of 23,366
hmm, i have an odd question. I'm quite sure no one has gone through this but, is there some explanation as to why did my M-100 electrocute me? perhaps it was a short circuit or something. It hapenned yesterday and i've been thinking about it a lot. What cause it? it wasn't hurtful. it was a quick, very frightening shock, but nothing else. i have them for over a year of constant use and this is the only weird thing about 'em. 

Nov 20, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #22,063 of 23,366
  hmm, i have an odd question. I'm quite sure no one has gone through this but, is there some explanation as to why did my M-100 electrocute me? perhaps it was a short circuit or something. It hapenned yesterday and i've been thinking about it a lot. What cause it? it wasn't hurtful. it was a quick, very frightening shock, but nothing else. i have them for over a year of constant use and this is the only weird thing about 'em. 

Static electricity. I've seen posts about it in this thread a good many times. I've only experienced it once in nearly two years with them. I think what you're wearing and what cable you're using affects how likely it is.

Nov 20, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #22,064 of 23,366

During the winter in NYC I get shocks from my M-100 time to time. Dry air and layers of clothing will do that. It's normal and your unit is not defective.

Nov 20, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #22,065 of 23,366
  I don't get where the gap is....picture ?

There's a gap between the two ear pads. When I got them the two ear pads would clamp firmly together but now the clamping force has seem to be reduced to the point that they no longer secure together. Not a big deal, just wondering if it's normal.

___

I think the M-100 were designed to be used without glasses as when I wear my glasses over the headphones (looking quite odd in the process 
etysmile.gif
) they are immensly more comfortable and when the fitment is right very much so, along with the obvious improvement in sub-bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back