V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 24, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #21,856 of 23,366
I'd just like to point out for the people who still find these uncomfortable with the XL pads that the HM5 pads do help with the comfort quite a bit. I imagine people who already find the XL pads comfy would find the HM5s pretty luxurious. My temples are particularly sensitive so I still have to take them off fairly often, but when I get some free time to try to add a suspension band, I'll update on the comfort factor. I should note that with the HM5s they no longer fold up well since it makes them noticeably larger overall since the pads stick out from the cups so much more.

how did you get the hm5 pads installed?

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #21,857 of 23,366
I'd just like to point out for the people who still find these uncomfortable with the XL pads that the HM5 pads do help with the comfort quite a bit. I imagine people who already find the XL pads comfy would find the HM5s pretty luxurious. My temples are particularly sensitive so I still have to take them off fairly often, but when I get some free time to try to add a suspension band, I'll update on the comfort factor. I should note that with the HM5s they no longer fold up well since it makes them noticeably larger overall since the pads stick out from the cups so much more.

Wouldn't non-OE pads change the sound signature?

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #21,858 of 23,366
how did you get the hm5 pads installed?

It just occurred to me that most people don't remove the dust filter from the pads like I do and that this would be a necessary initial step for putting the screws back in during the last step. Then remove the original pads, unscrew the screws in the cups, pop out the driver chambers being careful not to damage the connected wires, put the ring of the HM5 pads between the two parts of the cup and hold them back together with the pad in place while you put the screws back in.

Wouldn't non-OE pads change the sound signature?

Well, every pad changes the sound signature to some extent, even the XL pads from the original. But it certainly doesn't change the V-shape or warmth, and other than having a very pleasantly wider soundstage and better noise isolation, I would have to A/B a second pair in direct succession to tell any subtle changes. I should also note that for these I am using the (p)leather HM5s, but from experience the velours have a more natural and revealing signature and as such may make the mids more enjoyable. But that's both subjective and speculative without yet having tried them on the M-100 myself.

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #21,861 of 23,366
Hopefully this slight angle helps gauge the depth a bit. As you can see, I put felt all over the inside of the cups for dampening, I think it makes a noticeable difference in the control of the tones. Unlike with the similar mod for Hifimans, though, it didn't bring out the clarity in the midrange much, if at all.

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #21,862 of 23,366
Hopefully this slight angle helps gauge the depth a bit. As you can see, I put felt all over the inside of the cups for dampening, I think it makes a noticeable difference in the control of the tones. Unlike with the similar mod for Hifimans, though, it didn't bring out the clarity in the midrange much, if at all.

do you think you can take a picture of the m100s when its collapsed?  I know you said it can't but I'm curious

Jul 25, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #21,863 of 23,366
It just occurred to me that most people don't remove the dust filter from the pads like I do and that this would be a necessary initial step for putting the screws back in during the last step. Then remove the original pads, unscrew the screws in the cups, pop out the driver chambers being careful not to damage the connected wires, put the ring of the HM5 pads between the two parts of the cup and hold them back together with the pad in place while you put the screws back in.
Well, every pad changes the sound signature to some extent, even the XL pads from the original. But it certainly doesn't change the V-shape or warmth, and other than having a very pleasantly wider soundstage and better noise isolation, I would have to A/B a second pair in direct succession to tell any subtle changes. I should also note that for these I am using the (p)leather HM5s, but from experience the velours have a more natural and revealing signature and as such may make the mids more enjoyable. But that's both subjective and speculative without yet having tried them on the M-100 myself.

I am noticing a significant widening of soundstage going to the XL pad, and yes, the bass isn't as pronounced with these pads. The performance of M-100 with the XL pad has been absolutely outstanding, and I find myself keeping EQ off when on the go, while turning it on for room listening.
The comfort level boost of these thicker pads have been a matter of night and day. I will never go back to the stock pads ever again.

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #21,864 of 23,366
I am noticing a significant widening of soundstage going to the XL pad, and yes, the bass isn't as pronounced with these pads. The performance of M-100 with the XL pad has been absolutely outstanding, and I find myself keeping EQ off when on the go, while turning it on for room listening.
The comfort level boost of these thicker pads have been a matter of night and day. I will never go back to the stock pads ever again.

I've been talking about the HM5 pads, not the XL pads. The soundstage and comfort with the HM5s is very significantly improved over that of the XL pads, which in turn are improved over the stock pads.

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #21,865 of 23,366
Here they are collapsed as best I could get them. I couldn't get both sides to fold in completely, and the pads squish together at the top by the headband. Maybe others could find better success with more bending of the headband, but as is I don't care to keep them folded in so as to preserve the pads.

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #21,866 of 23,366
If someone does not want endless space and mostly listens to bassy contemporary music, there are no better headphones out there at the moment than the M100s. :)

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #21,867 of 23,366
Hey guys, new member here!

A week or so ago I won Magnetic Magazine's "Get Discovered" contest, the prize was an article on my track 'Render' and an interview with them. To top it off they also threw in a pair of custom V-MODA M100's (courtesy of Val, Kira J and the rest of the team!). I'm super excited for their arrival and I'm planning on using them a lot. The model I picked is the Shadow model along with matte black shields (customised with my logo). 

***I completely trust V-MODA's design and build quality, however I thought it would be best to reach out and see if anyone (by any chance) had had any sort of issue with the threading on the Shadow model headband. This is in no way a concern about the build quality of the headphones, however thread is thread and it seems to always find a way to come un-done!***

Any reassurance or advice is greatly appreciated,

Otis. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #21,868 of 23,366

Hey guys, new member here!

A week or so ago I won Magnetic Magazine's "Get Discovered" contest, the prize was an article on my track 'Render' and an interview with them. To top it off they also threw in a pair of custom V-MODA M100's (courtesy of Val, Kira J and the rest of the team!). I'm super excited for their arrival and I'm planning on using them a lot. The model I picked is the Shadow model along with matte black shields (customised with my logo). 

***I completely trust V-MODA's design and build quality, however I thought it would be best to reach out and see if anyone (by any chance) had had any sort of issue with the threading on the Shadow model headband. This is in no way a concern about the build quality of the headphones, however thread is thread and it seems to always find a way to come un-done!***

Any reassurance or advice is greatly appreciated,

Otis. 

Congrats for winning and welcome!

You may end up finding the M-100 to be the best of all the prizes
smily_headphones1.gif

I have read about the headband wearing for some users that wear the headphones around their neck, so that would be the only part of the headphone I would show extra care to.

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #21,870 of 23,366
Thanks for the reply and kind words Michael! 

I'm a DJ so the majority of the time they will be around my neck, however i'll be sure to use them with care! 

Otis

Depending on the degree of noise isolation you seek, I would also suggest upgrading to the XL ear pads. Better comfort too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back