V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 20, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #21,466 of 23,366
  V-Moda has some great warranty... however, well, just, hear me out.

Originally, I sent my (Shadow) M-100 headphones for warranty because the earpads were unremovable. I also mentioned my mic on the cable wasn't working, so I got that replaced at the same time. 

Two weeks later, they came back with a new cable and my headphones again. 

I was away from home, so I opened them a week or so after. Upon inspection, one of the earcup edges was chipped now. It was only cosmetic damage, but of course, I didn't want that. So I messaged them again, and they immediately shipped out another pair to me with a return label so I could return my old pair.  (This part really surprised me, as they didn't even take my payment information or anything. I'll be using that return label though of course.)

Again, two weeks later, I receive another set of headphones in the mail. However, upon opening them, I find out they're the matte black version instead of my shadow ones. They look pretty cool as matte black, so I figure I'm thankful. 
Except.. Upon putting them on my head, I notice that the horizontal (?) swivel is really loose compared to my shadow pair. The earpad foam themselves also feel less dense, but that could be the fact that they're new headphones.

Is the swivel thing extremely loose on anybody else's headphones? Like I'm talking they won't stay upright kind of loose. I'll upload a video if anybody needs. 

I have the matte black version and I have a lot of swivel. The cans are very still, they dont wobble or anything, but they swivel very easily. It seemed normal to me given they way they are constructed

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #21,468 of 23,366
   between these headphones which one has better sound quality ? (  high , mid , bass , sound stage , detail ...) ... 
B&W P7
V-MODA M100
Sennheiser DJ HD8  
sennheiser momentum

whats your opinion ? why ? 

thanks 

Well, you're probably going to get a bunch of M100 fanboys over here, though I'm sure some people have owned more than one of those.

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #21,469 of 23,366
 between these headphones which one has better sound quality ? (  high , mid , bass , sound stage , detail ...) ... 
B&W P7
V-MODA M100
Sennheiser DJ HD8  
sennheiser momentum

thanks 

I am a self-professed V-MODA fanboy who has listened to all of the headphones you listed. You can take both the Sennheisers off your list. The HDJ 8 sounds congested and is really dull without an amp and the Momentum has a strange fit and small sound stage.

The P7 sounds the most refined(audiophile friendly) of the bunch, looks great and has the best sound stage. The M-100 is the most portable and basshead friendly with a slightly recessed midrange and sparkly, non-fatiguing treble. A few people have trouble with the ear pads being too small, but the XL pads($20) usually solve that problem.

If you have a Best Buy near you you might be able to listen to both in the Magnolia section. Call and ask if they have them.

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #21,470 of 23,366
Do the Vmoda m100s scale when paired with a decent a amp? I currently have the magni/modi uber 2 stack. Would the Asgard 2 be a better match for these headphones? I will be using this combo mostly for gaming on my PS4. Thank you in advance.

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #21,471 of 23,366
B&W P7
V-MODA M100
Sennheiser DJ HD8  
sennheiser momentum

thanks 

I would definitely go for the B&W P7. I own the M100 w/XL Pads and the B&W P5 Series 2 headphones. I find that in all your said options you'll find that they have a "u" type sound signature. I had to mod my M100 by sealing the air vents in the side with tape under the shields. This mod tightened up the bass to equal the slam in bass I have found is well presented in the P7. With that being said the P7 has the best build materials period with the added bonus of not having to buy another set of ear pads. The treble on both add sufficient sparkle and air but the P7 tends to be slightly brighter to my ears. I have not been able to demo the DJ HD8 and found the Momentums to be too veiled for me and the fact that, before the new version, is basically an on-ear. I would also consider the Pioneer HDJ-2000MK2 as it looks promising with the coming revision(s) compared to the MK1. Anyway, hope this helps narrow things down for you.

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #21,472 of 23,366
Do the Vmoda m100s scale when paired with a decent a amp? I currently have the magni/modi uber 2 stack. Would the Asgard 2 be a better match for these headphones? I will be using this combo mostly for gaming on my PS4. Thank you in advance.

Yes they do scale, although not as drastically as other headphones. The sound gets a bit warmer using a cMoy BB v2.03 which I didn't like. With my Aune T1 and Vamp Verza I get cleaner, tighter bass, more forward midrange, better imaging and a wider sound stage. The differences aren't huge, but definitely noticeable. I notice the changes between different amps/DACs much more with the Q701.

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #21,473 of 23,366
Yes they do scale, although not as drastically as other headphones. The sound gets a bit warmer using a cMoy BB v2.03 which I didn't like. With my Aune T1 and Vamp Verza I get cleaner, tighter bass, more forward midrange, better imaging and a wider sound stage. The differences aren't huge, but definitely noticeable. I notice the changes between different amps/DACs much more with the Q701.

Thanks for the reply! Just wondering if the $100 difference between the Asgard and magni is worth it or not?

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #21,474 of 23,366
The M100's sound nice on Bryston BHA-1 (in comparison to iPhone 6), but that's not what I got that amp for. :) I think something in the price range of Magni/Modi is great for M100. IMHO, Asgard or anything better would be worth it only if you're planning to upgrade from M100's, or add more demanding headphones like HD650.

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #21,476 of 23,366
Hello fellow m-100 lovers! I'm a brand new owner and am very happy with the sound. I was worried the bass would be too bloated but it isn't at all. The comfort is hideous though and I can't wait for the XL pads to arrive.

I've noticed a large difference between the 2 bundled cables, is that normal? 
They flat out don't work out of my Little bear P8 amp (a bunch of static with a tinny version of what they should be playing in the distance) so I've had to resort to using my stock X1 cable for that. That was only for testing purposed though; it's not exactly a match made in heaven.
I'm keeping an eye on 2nd hand E17s. Any comments on that combination?

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #21,477 of 23,366
  I've noticed a large difference between the 2 bundled cables, is that normal? 
They flat out don't work out of my Little bear P8 amp (a bunch of static with a tinny version of what they should be playing in the distance)

Some players may not work correctly with the TRRS connectors. That seems to be the case with your device... you can try to pull the connector out just a tiny bit to maybe get a correct connection. Or use the cable upside down, i.e. use the TRS part to connect to your source and the TRRS on the headphone.

TRS vs. TRRS: there's 3 resp. 4 connections: Tip / Ring / Sleeve or Tip / Ring / Ring / Sleeve, with the latter sometimes giving problems if the socket is TRS, i.e. uses tree connections and does not align well with 4-connection plug.

Oh, and welcome to the club!

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #21,479 of 23,366
The E17 sounds good with the M-100. Having adjustable bass and treble helps to balance out the sound and the DAC is very clean. Small warning if you pair it with a phone; the E17 will pick up EMI from cellular signals and wi-fi. I am talking about the original and not the new E17K.

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #21,480 of 23,366
The E17 sounds good with the M-100. Having adjustable bass and treble helps to balance out the sound and the DAC is very clean. Small warning if you pair it with a phone; the E17 will pick up EMI from cellular signals and wi-fi. I am talking about the original and not the new E17K.

Hmm OK, good to know.

Man I'm glad I went for these over the HP50! They make (electronic) music so enjoyable. 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back