V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 22, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #18,196 of 23,366
Anybody got a pic of grey XL pads on a matte black m100?

here you go. tho it is shadow rather than matte black, but that is how it looks hahaha

http://www.head-fi.org/t/688710/m-100-grey-xl-pads-for-sale-15-shipped#post_9948140

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #18,198 of 23,366
Jan 22, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #18,199 of 23,366
^better but still not feeling it.

- just did the paper towel mod. waaaaay more comfortable wow. def keeping these and ordering the XL pads. how the hell do i wait 4-6 weeks -_- is the backorder always there or can i get it shipped right away if i order in 4 weeks?

also is there space behind the XL pads like where you put the paper towels in the reg ones?

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #18,200 of 23,366
Hi guys,

test driving the m100 to see if they are the right pair of headphones for me. My first question is does V-Moda offer a 3 button cable for the m100?  I have an iphone and would like the ability to control volume. Could I use a 3rd party cable?

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #18,201 of 23,366
  Hi guys,

test driving the m100 to see if they are the right pair of headphones for me. My first question is does V-Moda offer a 3 button cable for the m100?  I have an iphone and would like the ability to control volume. Could I use a 3rd party cable?

The answer to your first question is "Not anymore." I'm sure you can still find official V-Moda 3-button cables around somewhere, but they are becoming increasingly rare.

The answer to your second is yes you can use a third party cable. So long as it fits into the port on the headphone side. There are two popular ones which I can't remember for the life of me at the moment. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #18,202 of 23,366
  ^better but still not feeling it.

- just did the paper towel mod. waaaaay more comfortable wow. def keeping these and ordering the XL pads. how the hell do i wait 4-6 weeks -_- is the backorder always there or can i get it shipped right away if i order in 4 weeks?

also is there space behind the XL pads like where you put the paper towels in the reg ones?

hahah true that. i haven't seen the grey pads on black headphones in person, but from the images online, i would imagine only the black earpads would really work w/ black headphones. tho the white headphones look really sick with black earpads if you have black shields :)

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #18,203 of 23,366

The answer to your first question is "Not anymore." I'm sure you can still find official V-Moda 3-button cables around somewhere, but they are becoming increasingly rare.

The answer to your second is yes you can use a third party cable. So long as it fits into the port on the headphone side. There are two popular ones which I can't remember for the life of me at the moment. 

Why doesn't v-moda sell them? I swear i saw the founder of the company comment on a post on amazon saying they are coming but they need to be approved or something but that was a few months ago,

Yes, i would love to know which brands of cable work for the headphones.

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #18,204 of 23,366
Why doesn't v-moda sell them? I swear i saw the founder of the company comment on a post on amazon saying they are coming but they need to be approved or something but that was a few months ago,

Yes, i would love to know which brands of cable work for the headphones.

From what I remember, they originally sold had a 3-buttom cable option, but moved away from it due to licensing issues with Apple or something.

I do know that the Fiio RC-MH1 cable is said to work with the M-100. Not sure if there is an option for a cable with in-line controls/microphone.

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #18,205 of 23,366
Hi,

I got my M-100's (Shadow) last week, and the XL pads arrived yesterday. I got the grey pads for the immediate shipping as opposed to waiting 2 months. What can I say? I've been spoiled by the memory foam pads on my KNS-8400's. The greys are close in shade to the gunmetal shields which I'll be ordering custom in a few weeks. Pictures once I get them. Red pads to match the Shadow trim would be cool.

The XL pads really are significantly deeper than the stock pads. My ears protrude quite a bit and the stock pads with rope trick still put some pressure on them. The XL pads are easily half again deeper so now my ears just barely touch the liner.

What is the XL pads? Is it a bigger pad?
That sounds nice! Did it feel more comfortable than the original one?

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #18,206 of 23,366

There's some space underneath the XL pads but there isn't as much play. Then again, you shouldn't need the mod with the XL pads.

If the twisted paper towel mod isn't sufficient then I recommend trying the rope trick version. Quarter-inch nylon rope is more resistant to crushing. Cut to 1.5-2" lengths, bond the ends with a little heat to keep them from fraying, and stuff under the upper and lower angles of the pads.

I have no idea about the lead times on the black pads.

Speaking of mods, the XL pads do have a little boominess about them (kudos to Val and V-Moda for keeping it to a minimum) so I've been experimenting with covering the bass ports to rein that in. Completely sealing them with electrical tape works too well (imagine that). I'm currently trying paper medical tape. One layer seems good for my industrial and EBM, two layers seem better for rock and metal.

I just remembered a way to get red pads to match the Shadow trim: sock mod. :)

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #18,207 of 23,366
There's some space underneath the XL pads but there isn't as much play. Then again, you shouldn't need the mod with the XL pads.

If the twisted paper towel mod isn't sufficient then I recommend trying the rope trick version. Quarter-inch nylon rope is more resistant to crushing. Cut to 1.5-2" lengths, bond the ends with a little heat to keep them from fraying, and stuff under the upper and lower angles of the pads.

I have no idea about the lead times on the black pads.

Speaking of mods, the XL pads do have a little boominess about them (kudos to Val and V-Moda for keeping it to a minimum) so I've been experimenting with covering the bass ports to rein that in. Completely sealing them with electrical tape works too well (imagine that). I'm currently trying paper medical tape. One layer seems good for my industrial and EBM, two layers seem better for rock and metal.

I just remembered a way to get red pads to match the Shadow trim: sock mod. :)

I'm asking about space behind the pads to tuck in my ear lol I find that it creates a better seal.

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #18,208 of 23,366
I'm asking about space behind the pads to tuck in my ear lol I find that it creates a better seal.

Ah, I see. The XL pads have much more space inside (Miceblue posted measurements earlier in the thread) so you may not need that extra space underneath the pads. For comparison, my ears are about 35mm from tragus (bump in front of the canal) to helix (rim) at the widest point and they protrude about 20mm from my scalp. The liner gently touches my helices. I've also flattened the headband a bit to reduce clamping force. Your mileage may vary.

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #18,210 of 23,366
Ah, I see. The XL pads have much more space inside (Miceblue posted measurements earlier in the thread) so you may not need that extra space underneath the pads. For comparison, my ears are about 35mm from tragus (bump in front of the canal) to helix (rim) at the widest point and they protrude about 20mm from my scalp. The liner gently touches my helices. I've also flattened the headband a bit to reduce clamping force. Your mileage may vary.

With the PT mod, my ears fit without going behind the pad and they JUST touch the driver. So hopefully they will fit perfect with the XL's.

I took out the PT to try to get used to it and I have to admit I'm getting used to em. I only use headphone 1-2hrs at a time anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back