V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 23, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #17,566 of 23,366
Please forgive me if I repost something allready known here. The German HiFi Mag "Audio" reviewed the M100 recently and gave it a special recommendation for ... wait... "Neutral Sound" no kidding! :)

Something must have been lost in translation 
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #17,572 of 23,366
Never tried that I use "Bass Reducer".

I find that increasing the bass lesser than the treble (EQ) makes the M100s sound better.

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #17,574 of 23,366
Has anyone tried apple's "late night" eq settings with the m100s? It seemed to tone down the bass and raise the mids on tracks where the bass was a little bit too much.

Here's what I have found that hits my "Sweet" spot. I have IPhone 4S.

Download TuneShell...it's free. Adjust the EQ to the following settings (I have ripped my CDs to WAV, but MP3 320 works too):

32: 3.9
64: 2.09
125: 0
250: -2.09
500: -2.99
1K: -1.67
2K: 1.74
4K: 4.38
8K: 5.43
16K: 3.97

These settings sound great to me (all songs). The bass could go a bit higher, but I find distortion setting in if you go about a notch higher. Anyway, it's a great start, but I find you absolutely must EQ these if you are using an IPhone 4S. The default music player just doesn't cut it.

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #17,575 of 23,366
Went to the store today to really gives these and the Beats Studios at thorough test drive. The longer I stayed, the more I was assured the M100s are a much better headphone.

The Studios take batteries and the sound isolation just wasn't that good. They did block the sound out better than my M100s, but not that much more. The ear cushions are comfy, so no issue there. The headphone is very comfortable to wear and the padding is pleasing to the ears. The build is just absolute cheap rubbish compared to the M100s. Now, to the sound. With my EQ set and my newly ripped CD WAV files ready to go, the test drive began.

I played Boom Boom Pow since that is the song they like to demo with. The Studios sound is not bad. It's good and lively. The M100s sound is not as potent, more lush and warm and still layered. Where I keyed in on the Studios was the sound of the vocal tracks. I have discovered that every song I played, the sound of the vocals were off. They just didn't sound like the singer who sings them. Once I keyed in on this, the headphone couldn't recover. In addition to the headphone distorting the actual singers voice, this part of the song began interfering with its bass output. I can confirm that the Beats Studios throw almost all of its sound at you on one layer. The more I listened, the more I began to not like it. The vocals sound like the singer is in a tunnel and doesn't match the actual singer's voice.

The M100's are superior in this regard. The vocal tracks sounds like I think the singer's voice should sound like and all elements of the song play nicely with nothing interfering with any parts of the song. I can't find one song where the bass interferes with any part of any song I have listened to with these. Amazing.

I then moved on to the Executives...those things are bulky, heavy, and absolutely uncomfortable to wear. I played one song and put them back up.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Yesterday, I noticed a person in the library wearing V-Moda's. I approached him and asked him about them. They were the LPs. He had just bought them after reading about them on Amazon. I asked what he thought about them. He said he's burning them in and that he is pleased with them. Curious, I asked if I could listen. He obliged. I played parts of two songs...Boom Boom Pow and Holy Grail. I was in a hurry. The biggest difference I noticed in those short 5 mins or so was that the Bass in the M100s is much better. Wish I had more time to confirm.

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #17,576 of 23,366
Strange inquiry.

My gray, one-button cable has frayed to hell in a little under a year, and I would like to avoid that with my next V-MODA cable. In your experience, which color cable frays the least?

For reference, my red, one-button cable that came with my V-80 is barely frayed and I've had it for much longer.

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #17,578 of 23,366
T
Here's what I have found that hits my "Sweet" spot. I have IPhone 4S.

Download TuneShell...it's free. Adjust the EQ to the following settings (I have ripped my CDs to WAV, but MP3 320 works too):

32: 3.9
64: 2.09
125: 0
250: -2.09
500: -2.99
1K: -1.67
2K: 1.74
4K: 4.38
8K: 5.43
16K: 3.97

These settings sound great to me (all songs). The bass could go a bit higher, but I find distortion setting in if you go about a notch higher. Anyway, it's a great start, but I find you absolutely must EQ these if you are using an IPhone 4S. The default music player just doesn't cut it.
hank you... Will try!

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #17,579 of 23,366
My grey SharePlay is still holding up quite well even after being caught on my jacket's Velcro seal many, many times.

My SpeakEasy cable is pretty destroyed/frayed on the other hand with minimal use and it hasn't even got caught on Velcro. :/

Similar experience here. My Orange SpeakEasy cable is frayed like a white girl's hair on the Sunday morning after many bad decisions.... Including velcro and zippers.... and kittens. 

SharePlay though, has survived a puppy, being knotted, braided, velcro.... Not much fraying at all.

Not taking the CoilPro out much (I could but it's heavy, and impractical) but it seems very sturdy and mostly amicrophonic. 

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #17,580 of 23,366
My grey SharePlay is still holding up quite well even after being caught on my jacket's Velcro seal many, many times.

My SpeakEasy cable is pretty destroyed/frayed on the other hand with minimal use and it hasn't even got caught on Velcro. :/

Similar experience here. My Orange SpeakEasy cable is frayed like a white girl's hair on the Sunday morning after many bad decisions.... Including velcro and zippers.... and kittens. 

SharePlay though, has survived a puppy, being knotted, braided, velcro.... Not much fraying at all.

Not taking the CoilPro out much (I could but it's heavy, and impractical) but it seems very sturdy and mostly amicrophonic. 

CoilPro makes your head slanted to one side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back