V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #16,342 of 23,366
Quote:
Some help here? I'm actually stuck between the M-100 and the Earsonics Sm64.... But with the M-100 price tag i can easily get a new DAP also... I currently own a Gr07 and would really like a good upgrade from it 

IMHO, I would prefer a great headphone to a lesser headphone and amp since I could always upgrade the amp in the future.

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #16,344 of 23,366
Well, after being away from Head-Fi for about a week or so, I'm back, and I figured that I should post my own impressions of the NuForce Transient cable line.

The cable, measuring in at 1.5 meters, is definitely of a manageable length for portable use, as compared to the audio-only cable included with both the M100 and the LP.  Since it is insulated using a smooth material, there is no chance of it fraying or sticking to clothing.  Also, good luck getting it to kink, as I've had the cable in my LP case for quite a few days and it fell straight as soon as I took it out.

As for the actual sound, there is definitely an improvement.  There is a lack of microphonics that were present in V-MODA's standard cable, as when I compared the two, I felt that the V-MODA cable compressed the sound very slightly.  I noticed that there was a sliver of increased clarity for treble, and I could have sworn that the sound stage became a minuscule quantity wider, but don't quote me on that.

So yeah, I pretty much have to back up Dr. Sheep and recommend the NuForce Transient cable.

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #16,345 of 23,366
Quote:
Well, after being away from Head-Fi for about a week or so, I'm back, and I figured that I should post my own impressions of the NuForce Transient cable line.

The cable, measuring in at 1.5 meters, is definitely of a manageable length for portable use, as compared to the audio-only cable included with both the M100 and the LP.  Since it is insulated using a smooth material, there is no chance of it fraying or sticking to clothing.  Also, good luck getting it to kink, as I've had the cable in my LP case for quite a few days and it fell straight as soon as I took it out.

As for the actual sound, there is definitely an improvement.  There is a lack of microphonics that were present in V-MODA's standard cable, as when I compared the two, I felt that the V-MODA cable compressed the sound very slightly.  I noticed that there was a sliver of increased clarity for treble, and I could have sworn that the sound stage became a minuscule quantity wider, but don't quote me on that.

So yeah, I pretty much have to back up Dr. Sheep and recommend the NuForce Transient cable.

I can attest to that, I personally haven't had good experience with V-Moda cables sound wise, they give a very warm/smooth and somewhat "smeared" sound versus many other cables I've tested (talking cheap bundled cables here, nothing fancy), I can see what you mean by compressed in this case. I compared with M-Audio Q40 and had to use EQ to boost the highs one step on the EQ with the V-Moda cable to get equal much highs presence. Then later on I tested the Monoprice 8323 DJ headphones bundled cable and experienced greater clarity, a more "pure" sound, greater dynamics. Not a world of a difference but if you've got trained ears like mine and keep mastering tracks on a daily basis tweaking EQ with 0.5dB or so changes or less these kind of things start to become noticeable. It probably works quite well with M100, but the headphones LP1 and LP2 especially benefit by a cable swap due to their already too warm & smeared sound.

It could be difference in impedance I suppose giving very tiny bit different volume differences perhaps, quite difficult to A/B very tiny bit vol differences. I might have to order the Nuforce cable, seems to be a very good quality cable for the price asked, thanks for recommendation.

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #16,346 of 23,366
Quote:
IMHO, I would prefer a great headphone to a lesser headphone and amp since I could always upgrade the amp in the future.

So which would you recommend i get?

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #16,347 of 23,366
Quote:

+1 on this - I've had the NuForce cable for a week now and my impressions are the same. Also, they were running half off the advertised price, so you're looking at about 12 USD for a good replacement cable. 

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #16,348 of 23,366
NuForce charges 8 $ shipping from nuforce.com.. 
triportsad.gif
 for the cable.
Red cable is not available on amazon.

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #16,349 of 23,366

Users who are viewing this thread

Back