V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jun 25, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #15,166 of 23,366
I like it ! Purposely listened to it just on my iPad speakers ..... You may want to bring your levels down a hair

Thanks! Yeah I find listening to it on speakers with no bass gives you a good sense of how lively it really is. Which levels do you think I should turn down? Or just in general it's too loud a track?

Not bad. The treble seems kind of tizzly too me though.

It reminds me of this song that one of my friends helped make:

Tizzly is probably right, I fumbled a lot with getting the right amount of presence on the bass, it came out a bit more farty than phatty but it gets better with every revision.

That's a cool track, how did your friend get into contact with people at digipen?

I'll post final print here when I'm allowed to post the video!

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #15,167 of 23,366
Quote:

Thanks for the update, Val. Much appreciated! I know you won't have a chance to respond to this for quite some time, but: Any plans to make the current M-100 pads available for purchase? One of the pads that came with my Matte Black M-100s was kind of a mess...a number of the edges where it clicks into the earcup are mashed and warped from what looks like rough handling/improper installation at the factory. It's certainly not a huge deal; and I don't know how much (if at all) it really affects the sound; but, still, it shows a level of poor finish I admit to finding bothersome in a headphone of this caliber.

On a separate note, I've been having a hell of a time getting the light of day from V-MODA Customer Service lately. There was a day or two a few weeks ago where I had a good correspondence going with David and Joanna about a warranty issue (after having my cracked earcup housing repaired, I opened the package to find another crack in one of the wingplates). They apologized for the trouble and assured me everything would be taken care of promptly. After submitting a new warranty claim on the website and sending a couple of follow-up emails, all I've gotten is silence. Anyone else here having trouble with e-mail communications from V-MODA CS?

Actually, they have been responsive from my perspective with a cracked wingplate issue as well as Vamp/Verza issues.  However, I have been waiting for days for a replacement wingplate.  V-Moda should really consider a more pliable or durable material for the "weak links" in an otherwise durable product.

I think they could do a better job with email updates, like sending tracking information when they ship replacements.

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #15,168 of 23,366
Quote:
Val,
I have owned my M-100 for nearly a year and can't say enough positive about them.  I have an interest in an IEM that would be comparable to the sound of the M-100 and hope you would crowd source that product as well.  The biggest issue I have with IEM's is a comfortable, secure fit (more than what tips alone provide).  As you know, losing even a bit of seal dramatically impacts the sound, particularly bass.  I think B&W was onto something with their C5 ear loop which definitely checks the box for secure fit, but not comfort.  I am confident you can innovate something unique to secure an IEM for active use similar to the innovation of the click hinges on the M-100 and will look forward to updates.

Denon C300s... not the most comfortable but... HOLY BASS!!!!!!!!!!!
You can find them for like $120 or so if you look well enough :wink:

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #15,170 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
I like it ! Purposely listened to it just on my iPad speakers ..... You may want to bring your levels down a hair

Thanks! Yeah I find listening to it on speakers with no bass gives you a good sense of how lively it really is. Which levels do you think I should turn down? Or just in general it's too loud a track?

Quote:
Not bad. The treble seems kind of tizzly too me though.

It reminds me of this song that one of my friends helped make:

Tizzly is probably right, I fumbled a lot with getting the right amount of presence on the bass, it came out a bit more farty than phatty but it gets better with every revision.

That's a cool track, how did your friend get into contact with people at digipen?

I'll post final print here when I'm allowed to post the video!

I think loud as in the track itself is pretty loud without much dynamic range. It sounds compressed if you know what I mean. Correct me if I'm wrong though. XD

^ the spots right here      ^ and here for example

That game was actually a senior project at DigiPen so my friend helped develop it.

@ Val thanks for the update
I voted for a new earphone as the next product from V-MODA

I first purchased your Vibe (generation 2) earphone but the cable broke within a year back in 2007.

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #15,171 of 23,366
Quote:

Denon C300s... not the most comfortable but... HOLY BASS!!!!!!!!!!!
You can find them for like $120 or so if you look well enough :wink:

Quote:

Is the rest of the sound any good? Somewhere in between the horrendous D400 and the magnificent D600?

I checked out the CNet review by Steve Guttenberg since I have found his reviews match my taste perfectly.  From his comments, the bass sounds great, but the clarity would be far behind the M-100 and would even be a step down from the C5 in that regard.  The trick that the M-100 pulls off is powerful bass with reasonably detailed mids and highs.  However, I also don't want to dismiss them based on one review. 

@gelocks- do you consider the mids and highs on par with M-100?  If so, where can I find for $120?

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #15,172 of 23,366
Quote:
Val,
I have owned my M-100 for nearly a year and can't say enough positive about them.  I have an interest in an IEM that would be comparable to the sound of the M-100 and hope you would crowd source that product as well.  The biggest issue I have with IEM's is a comfortable, secure fit (more than what tips alone provide).  As you know, losing even a bit of seal dramatically impacts the sound, particularly bass.  I think B&W was onto something with their C5 ear loop which definitely checks the box for secure fit, but not comfort.  I am confident you can innovate something unique to secure an IEM for active use similar to the innovation of the click hinges on the M-100 and will look forward to updates.

Secure fit & comfort is my NUMBER 1 problem with IEM's as well.  I am fortunate enough to audition quite a few IEM's and very few of them have great solutions to this problem.  I cringe to have to give this example, but the Bose IE2 is the most comfortable in-ear model I have ever worn.  Clearly, the audio quality leaves a bit to be desired, but they stay put and don't cause any pain.  To be fair, I have never tried a custom IEM.     

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #15,173 of 23,366
I checked out the CNet review by Steve Guttenberg since I have found his reviews match my taste perfectly.  From his comments, the bass sounds great, but the clarity would be far behind the M-100 and would even be a step down from the C5 in that regard.  The trick that the M-100 pulls off is powerful bass with reasonably detailed mids and highs.  However, I also don't want to dismiss them based on one review. 

@gelocks- do you consider the mids and highs on par with M-100?  If so, where can I find for $120?

Heck no! LOL
I was just talking about BIIIG BASS, like the biggest I have heard. Lower mids get chewed up a bit by the mass, upper mids are "Ok" but these are not really too forward from that point on. So no, they don't match the "M100 sound" at all, but it does provide good separation, respectable mids and highs but very BIG bass :wink:.

You could try to get them here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-AH-C300-Double-Air-Compression-Driver-In-Ear-Headphone-with-remote-mic-/271183722377?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item3f23cf3789

(I believe they are selling these cheap in the UK because they got the C301 now, which I believe it's the same thing... but not sure...)

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #15,174 of 23,366
Just got my V-MODA M-100 from Amazon, and for the once, the hype actually lived up. The sound is AMAZING. The first song I played through them was A Perfect Circle's The Package, and I can't really describe just how good the song sounded. Every other headphone I've tried always chokes up on the bassline in that song, but M-100 plowed straight through it. It's also the first headphone I've never wanted to EQ...the sound signature is perfect, from rock bands like deftones to EDM such as Knife Party. I'm bassist by trade, and I really enjoy the bass driven yet balanced sound the M-100 has - seriously, if I was to pick a perfect sound signature, this would probably be it. 

All that said, the only missing piece to the equation is the BoomPro Mic. I do a fair bit of gaming, and I want to use the M-100 as a back-up if I'm trying to play late at night.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #15,175 of 23,366
Quote:
Just got my V-MODA M-100 from Amazon, and for the once, the hype actually lived up. The sound is AMAZING. The first song I played through them was A Perfect Circle's The Package, and I can't really describe just how good the song sounded. Every other headphone I've tried always chokes up on the bassline in that song, but M-100 plowed straight through it. It's also the first headphone I've never wanted to EQ...the sound signature is perfect, from rock bands like deftones to EDM such as Knife Party. I'm bassist by trade, and I really enjoy the bass driven yet balanced sound the M-100 has - seriously, if I was to pick a perfect sound signature, this would probably be it. 

All that said, the only missing piece to the equation is the BoomPro Mic. I do a fair bit of gaming, and I want to use the M-100 as a back-up if I'm trying to play late at night.

Trust me, it's a great combo for games at night.  Too bad that V-MODA stopped the VTF sales of the BoomPro Mic, so you will have to wait for the official release.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #15,176 of 23,366
OH is that what happened to the boom mic.  I remember seeing them on the V-MODA site but when I went back to order them they were gone.  Will just have to wait now.  Oh well...
L3000.gif

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #15,180 of 23,366
Quote:
OH is that what happened to the boom mic.  I remember seeing them on the V-MODA site but when I went back to order them they were gone.  Will just have to wait now.  Oh well...
L3000.gif

BOOM/COIL LAUNCH NEXT MONDAY - FOR 4TH OF JULY
The new boom mics are in stock now worldwide, in addition to the coiled cables.  I just need to launch them properly and finish the PR, I am editing it myself today and getting it translated (any volunteers with an English major to proofread or a German/French/Italian translator that knows audio send me a PM).

Sorry for delays, but I am hiring new staff in Europe in our Milan office and Netherlands, so I was testing a worldwide launch process where we try to launch worldwide multilingual at the same time with multi-press releases.  But, alas, it is proving more difficult than we thought with the new team - so for SURE it will be next Monday and for the next product launch will be much smoother.  

XL PAD NEWS!
FINALLY!  We had to completely change the stitching and now it is sounding much better, it is crazy how much difference the littlest things on fittings/cushion makes to the sound.  My golden-ear team says now that we have changed the stitching process for larger ears that we can prototype 4 variants of sizes in quantity of 5 sets so we can get some test help.  They are sending photos to me tonight of the final breakthrough and you can see the differences.  

Just making the original cushion design bigger in multi-dimensions did not work at all... proof that the driver and comfort is important, but "the fit is the final sound". Like a bespoke tailored suit, it makes the man.

FINALLY!  You do not know how long I've been agonizing over this XL cushion and pushing the team, I can finally post again and be more active so that I don't read people asking anymore, it is painful but Rome wasn't built in a day.

M-80 WHITE SIDE NOTE
They are completely sold out now, so if you have one - you are lucky!

Stay tuned for XL pics within 48 hours, promise!  And we will post them for preorder.  As far as normal M-100 cushions, thanks for reminding me.  I'll add to our production run grey + black.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back