V-MODA Forza Series: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 20, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #121 of 293
Well I got my comply tips on Saturday and have had a couple of work free days to listen to the mettalo's    As a background I am replacing a pair of Shures 215's that I loved the fit of and thought the sound to be solid if not spectacular.  Real problem was the left ear kept cutting out even though I had the bud replaced twice.  A known problem I guess maybe due to the replaceable cords? (another thing I loved about them.)

Basically auditioning three pairs of headphones over the last couple of weeks (God I love Amazon and their return policy).   Started with the 1more triple driver which has obviously gotten a lot of positive reviews.  My first impression of them was overwhelmingly positive.  Such a larger soundstage then the shures.  High end was much crisper in my opinion and bass was very present without being overwhelming.  Unfortunately all this was true with either the silicon tips or smaller foams tips provided by 1more and that is where I had a problem with them.  Coming from the shures which are over the ear and fit so securely I really had a hard time adjusting to the feeling of wearing these straight down.  Once I got the comply tips the fit became more secure for me but the seal was so complete the bass become too pronounced and I lost some of the high end.

Next I tried the RHA ma 750's.   After reading reviews and the threads here I thought this could be the answer.  And it could have been given the sound these things produce.  Fairly neutral but the balance seemed very good to me.  I really enjoyed listening to all types of music on these and they are built like a tank and made to last. But the cord on these things ruined them for me.   I do most of my listening on the go and these have an extremely long, heavy cord with a battle axe of a plug on the end of them.   I think if I sat around at home and used these I would have found my answer.  But for portable use they were a no go for me.

Lastly I got the metallos and for the most part I have been very pleased with them.  They are somewhat of a combination for me of the other two.   Highs are very crisp,  mids are pronounced without being annoying and the bass, while not as present as with the 1mores is still more than adequate for me.   And the fit with the fins is very, very good especially with the comply foam tips.  I know others have these as well but V-Moda has done an excellent job making these.   The softness of the rubber does not irritate at all and helps with both the seal and secureness of the headphones.   My only real gripe is the cord which I have a love/hate relationship with.   While I love the fact that it is impossible to tangle this thing I hate how microphonic this thing is.   Because of the stiffness of the cord I am really noticing a fair amount of noise regardless of what I do.  

This brings me to my question.  Has anyone gotten both the metallos and sport models and compared?  Most reviews I have read seem to brush off the differences.   What I really want to know is do they use the same driver and is the sound pretty much identical?  And if so how does the cord on the sport compare to the metallos?  I could lose the tangle free aspect if the sport cord is significantly quieter.   I really want to stick with the Forza's although while the RHA's are on their way back to Amazon I still have the 1mores for another week or so to compare the two.

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #122 of 293
@gtcharlie
Have you watched Dale Thorn's reviews of both models? Mostly what I take from it is the Metallo has slightly more refined highs.

As for the fit issues with the 1More Triple Drivers, have you tried wearing them up? This is the only way I wear them since I can't deal with the microphonics the cable produces.

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #123 of 293

​I had not seen those reviews but will definitely check them out.  And as far as the 1mores go I tried wearing them over the ear but it just did not feel natural or comfortable to me.  Honestly the microphonics on them do not bother me nearly as much as the metallos.  I am pretty sure it is the stiffness of the cord causing me the issues as I usually am not that sensitive.  I also have been wearing a jacket which has a fabric that could be contributing to the issue although I have seen in mentioned in reviews.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #124 of 293
Just checked today for the Forza Wireless and there's not even a pre-order on Amazon UK, i'm guessing it's not going to be the first couple of weeks of March then.  Darn it.  

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #125 of 293
  Just checked today for the Forza Wireless and there's not even a pre-order on Amazon UK, i'm guessing it's not going to be the first couple of weeks of March then.  Darn it.  

You can pre-order them on the U.S. Amazon store but they're being sold in the Marketplace by a store called AVLGear.  They say the release date is March 27th but that looks like it's just a placeholder.  With a March release date, I would expect pre-orders to go live on V-Moda's website almost any day now.  Then again, the release date could be pushed back again.

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #126 of 293
Thanks, so we have some kind of date at least lol 

I'm kind of looking at the JayBirds X3 at the moment, they seem to have very good reviews and you can adjust the sound through their app to your taste.  Shame the black pair is sold out most places here in UK.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #127 of 293
  Thanks, so we have some kind of date at least lol 

I'm kind of looking at the JayBirds X3 at the moment, they seem to have very good reviews and you can adjust the sound through their app to your taste.  Shame the black pair is sold out most places here in UK.

The main reason why I don't like the JayBirds is that their controls were awful.  For whatever reason, Jaybird decided to use their own controller setup.  Normally, headphones use the three button setup.  A volume up button, a volume down button, and a multi-use button for play, pause, skipping tracks, fast forwarding, skipping back tracks, and rewinding.  JayBird has it setup so that you hold their volume up button to fast forward, you hold the volume down button to rewind, and the center button will start playback but it can also initiate a phone call with the last person you talked to.  I had the Freedom earbuds for 10 minutes and decided their controls were so bad that I had to return them.  It was awful as I would pause music and press the center button to resume playback but my iPhone would end up calling my wife.  I tried to fast forward and my ears would get blown out before the controller/phone realized what I was trying to do.  I tried them with an Android phone and had similar results.

Maybe they've updated the firmware so they aren't so buggy.  I enjoyed the SQ and liked that I could adjust things but the controls were terrible.  I also wasn't a fan of the ear tips that they came with but they do work with Complyfoam's comfort tips (my favorite).

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #128 of 293
V-MODA is costing me a lot of money by constantly delaying these :p. I've been through three expensive wireless headphones and haven't been 100% satisfied yet. Honestly I think wireless headphones that hit that 98-99% mark are a few years off but I'd be willing to give the Forza Metallo Wireless a fair trial against the AirPods and Solo3, which both have very impressive connectivity/wireless quality.

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #129 of 293
V-MODA is costing me a lot of money by constantly delaying these
tongue.gif
. I've been through three expensive wireless headphones and haven't been 100% satisfied yet. Honestly I think wireless headphones that hit that 98-99% mark are a few years off but I'd be willing to give the Forza Metallica Wireless a fair trial against the AirPods and Solo3, which both have very impressive connectivity/wireless quality.

Same here! lol Im off to buy the beats X and Jaybird X3 today to see how they compare.  

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #130 of 293
  The main reason why I don't like the JayBirds is that their controls were awful.  For whatever reason, Jaybird decided to use their own controller setup.  Normally, headphones use the three button setup.  A volume up button, a volume down button, and a multi-use button for play, pause, skipping tracks, fast forwarding, skipping back tracks, and rewinding.  JayBird has it setup so that you hold their volume up button to fast forward, you hold the volume down button to rewind, and the center button will start playback but it can also initiate a phone call with the last person you talked to.  I had the Freedom earbuds for 10 minutes and decided their controls were so bad that I had to return them.  It was awful as I would pause music and press the center button to resume playback but my iPhone would end up calling my wife.  I tried to fast forward and my ears would get blown out before the controller/phone realized what I was trying to do.  I tried them with an Android phone and had similar results.

Maybe they've updated the firmware so they aren't so buggy.  I enjoyed the SQ and liked that I could adjust things but the controls were terrible.  I also wasn't a fan of the ear tips that they came with but they do work with Complyfoam's comfort tips (my favorite).

Thanks for the feeback on the JBs.  That's a shame.  The X3s are new and i'm hoping they've sorted those issues out.  Read some reviews all seem positive.  I think it's probably the best offering on the market right now price wise and sound quality.  Shame the Forza Wireless are not out so I can compare it against it.

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #131 of 293
  Thanks for the feeback on the JBs.  That's a shame.  The X3s are new and i'm hoping they've sorted those issues out.  Read some reviews all seem positive.  I think it's probably the best offering on the market right now price wise and sound quality.  Shame the Forza Wireless are not out so I can compare it against it.

It could have just been my phone and/or earbuds, or it could have been problematic firmware that Jaybird has since updated.  The only reason why I blamed Jaybird is because the same things happened to me with both the Freedom F5 earbuds and the X3's that I purchased later.  I still don't understand why Jaybird thought they could do better than the rest of the headphone industry with their remote buttons.  Other than that I actually really liked the X3's, I wasn't a fan of the F5's because they didn't quite fit my ears right.  The X3's though, they fit much better.  Just get ready to adjust their EQ unless you are happy with a flat response.  It should also be noted that, for whatever reason, the X3's do not support aptX over Bluetooth.  They only support standard SBC and AAC, think the Bluebud X supported aptX.
V-MODA is costing me a lot of money by constantly delaying these 
tongue.gif
. I've been through three expensive wireless headphones and haven't been 100% satisfied yet. Honestly I think wireless headphones that hit that 98-99% mark are a few years off but I'd be willing to give the Forza Metallica Wireless a fair trial against the AirPods and Solo3, which both have very impressive connectivity/wireless quality.

Not to go off-topic but I have been surprised by the Beats Solo3 headphones.  I haven't tried the AirPods as Apple's EarPods won't stay in my ears so I know there's no point for me to try them.  But the Solo3's have been a nice pair of on-ear headphones, nicer than I expected.  Their wireless range is truly insane even with my Moto Z Force.  In fact, I think it's stronger with my Moto than it was with my iPhone 7 Plus.

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #132 of 293
Not to go off-topic but I have been surprised by the Beats Solo3 headphones.  I haven't tried the AirPods as Apple's EarPods won't stay in my ears so I know there's no point for me to try them.  But the Solo3's have been a nice pair of on-ear headphones, nicer than I expected.  Their wireless range is truly insane even with my Moto Z Force.  In fact, I think it's stronger with my Moto than it was with my iPhone 7 Plus.

The wireless quality/connectivity on the Solo3 makes it the best wireless headphone I've tried so far, including AirPods. 

Really high quality native AAC support makes Apple's offerings stand out. V-MODA's pretty smart so I think the Metallo Wireless will include AAC support, but I'm never buying a wireless headphone without it again since after comparing all the Bluetooth codecs I prefer AAC to aptX. Would be pretty funny if we waited all this time and the Metallo Wireless doesn't support the AAC codec...

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #133 of 293
  The wireless quality/connectivity on the Solo3 makes it the best wireless headphone I've tried so far, including AirPods. 

Really high quality native AAC support makes Apple's offerings stand out. V-MODA's pretty smart so I think the Metallo Wireless will include AAC support, but I'm never buying a wireless headphone without it again since after comparing all the Bluetooth codecs I prefer AAC to aptX. Would be pretty funny if we waited all this time and the Metallo Wireless doesn't support the AAC codec...

I'm not sure if the Metallo Wireless support Bluetooth AAC, it's not listed on their page (only aptX) but V-Moda confirmed that the Crossfade Wireless use AAC and that's not listed on their page either.  Qualcomm makes the internal hardware for the Metallo Wireless and I'm not sure how well they support AAC when they're all about aptX, they own the technology now anyways.  AAC is great if you are in Apple's universe but it's awful if you're an Android user.  AAC support is little to none with Android smartphones as not only does their hardware have to support it but so does the OS and each individual app.  It's a mess and you're crucified if you even suggest that Google should start enforcing some standards, like making all apps (which output sound) at least support the internal AAC encoder for Bluetooth transmission.

Supposedly there are some Android phones that support AAC over Bluetooth.  The Moto Z line is one of them and I think the last phones from Sony did as well.  These are all just claims from people who rooted their phones, streamed audio to a device with known AAC compatibility, were able to capture the audio as it was being streamed, and looked at the format of the streaming audio.  It's something that the manufacturers really don't specify and you have to hunt down the info in forums that are a year old.  Personally, I can't hear a difference between AAC and aptX but, as an Android user, more phones support aptX so I tend to prefer it.  What I really like are companies who support both with their products.  Sony's higher end headphones (like the MDR-100ABN and MDR-1000X) support both, B&O has even released a couple that do like the Beoplay H7, H8, and H9 (though their latest Beoplay H4 headphones only support SBC and AAC).

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #134 of 293
I guess this somewhat explains the delay of the Metallo Wireless.

http://v-moda.com/remix-bluetooth-speaker/

Bluetooth speaker + headphone amplifier.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #135 of 293
I guess it does, one would think that V-Moda has a separate department or most separate people working on the speaker and the earbuds.  The speaker looks nice but they didn't list what Bluetooth tech it is compatible with (AAC, aptX, etc.).  Aside from the 3D printing and built-in headphone amp, I wonder what differentiates it from others like the Bose SoundLink Mini II, Beoplay A1, or even the UE Megaboom (which may not have the sound quality but it is waterproof).

Also, like a few others, I went ahead and purchased a new set of earbuds.  The Metallo Wireless are still on my radar but, for the meantime, I've purchased a new pair of daily wireless earbuds.  We are now mid-March and there's still no information regarding a release date.  I know these are complex and V-Moda was working on launching another product (finally, a Bluetooth speaker) but it would be nice to get a tidbit of info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back