V-moda Crossfades vs Skullcandy Aviators vs FA-004?? which one?
Mar 11, 2011 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

diodiel

500+ Head-Fier
hello there im just wondering if there any any good cheap portable headphones around? i tried both aviators and crossfades at the apple store, i like the sound of the aviators better but the build quality+comfort, its the crossfades.. aviators feels very fragile.. Also interested with FA-004 i heard it is good overall but is anything better for the buck? thanks sorry for posting this random post, im just bored with my life :)

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 26
I've had the crossfades but sold them.
The bass was muddy and the highs weren't exactly as accurate as it seemed, seems like a lazy phone...
But the build quality and the accessories that come with it are pretty damn good, I loved the exoskeletal case of them.

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 26
I'm trying to decide the same thing, minus the FA-004.
I really want to sample their sound quality for myself. The aesthetics of both the Crossfades and the Aviators are spectacular in my opinion. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Aviators from what I've heard, but it's been the other way before. One thing I really love about the Crossfades though is the cable. That detachable, Kevlar-reinforced cable, and all the other goodies that are included, sound awesome (& worth the extra cost)!
Once I make my mind up and I've had them for a while I'm planning on doing a video review of whichever one I choose. I'll probably post something on Head-Fi when I make the video.

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 26
yea i wanted the crossfades but  when i tried it on rock, the bass was overpowering other instruments. i ended up with 004 :) i liked aviators, sounded more open  and clear than vmoda. but i heard people liking the a004 over srh840, m50, ah-d1001, and CAL! so yea lol i hope its good......

Quote:
I'm trying to decide the same thing, minus the FA-004.
I really want to sample their sound quality for myself. The aesthetics of both the Crossfades and the Aviators are spectacular in my opinion. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Aviators from what I've heard, but it's been the other way before. One thing I really love about the Crossfades though is the cable. That detachable, Kevlar-reinforced cable, and all the other goodies that are included, sound awesome (& worth the extra cost)!
Once I make my mind up and I've had them for a while I'm planning on doing a video review of whichever one I choose. I'll probably post something on Head-Fi when I make the video.

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 26

Quote:
yea i wanted the crossfades but  when i tried it on rock, the bass was overpowering other instruments. i ended up with 004 :) i liked aviators, sounded more open  and clear than vmoda. but i heard people liking the a004 over srh840, m50, ah-d1001, and CAL! so yea lol i hope its good......

uhh where have u been not to rain on your parade but 840, CAL's, and m50's blow the vmodas away and probably the a004, but the aviators have amazing mids and treble If you were looking for portable headphones like that you shoulda gone with the aviators

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 26
The bass is a little overstated and somewhat bleeds into the rest of the music, slopping the whole ensemble up. They're beautiful headphones but being Skullcandy, the sound quality doesn't match the price. They're not terrible, but they're not to be taken seriously either. If they were 50 dollars or so, I'd be much more of a fan of them.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #11 of 26
I had the Aviators briefly when they were sold for $70 instead of $200 and I didn't like them at all. They sounded kind of muffled. The only positive side I can think of is they're extremely comfortable.

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #12 of 26
well u seem to be going for all three sound signatures, aviator = analytical, and cold yet still lots of bass
fa-004 = very balanced
v-moda = bass, but awful headphones for money.
I think the aviators are actually REALLY good atleast considering its skullcandy, I think they match up with other 100 dollar headphones even if there 150. But you should consider the adidas hd 25-1 II or Phiaton ms400, which I own and they sound slightly warm but not too much bass. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #13 of 26
I wonder how the V-MODA M/V-80 would compare to these? From what I've read they are a noticeable improvement over the Crossfade. I also like the smaller form factor and aesthetics of the V-80.

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
I wonder how the V-MODA M/V-80 would compare to these? From what I've read they are a noticeable improvement over the Crossfade. I also like the smaller form factor and aesthetics of the V-80.

I'll be able to do a comparison shortly between the Crossfade LPs and the new M-80s.  I've got the M-80s right now and I've got a set of the LPs on order...I LOVE how the M-80s fit and sound right now, so I'm pretty sure from reading other reviews, these are nothing like the LPs sonically.  Build quality and pack in accessories are, of course, outstanding.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #15 of 26

yea i usedto have the hd-25ii they wer pretty good except it was too painful for me; i ended up with the tma-1s which i liked more besides its inferior isolation over the hd25
im still very interested to get an fa-004, have you tried it? how do you compare it to the hd-25ii? 
Quote:
well u seem to be going for all three sound signatures, aviator = analytical, and cold yet still lots of bass
fa-004 = very balanced
v-moda = bass, but awful headphones for money.
I think the aviators are actually REALLY good atleast considering its skullcandy, I think they match up with other 100 dollar headphones even if there 150. But you should consider the adidas hd 25-1 II or Phiaton ms400, which I own and they sound slightly warm but not too much bass. 

man  m-80 is tempting how much did you get yours for?
Quote:
I'll be able to do a comparison shortly between the Crossfade LPs and the new M-80s.  I've got the M-80s right now and I've got a set of the LPs on order...I LOVE how the M-80s fit and sound right now, so I'm pretty sure from reading other reviews, these are nothing like the LPs sonically.  Build quality and pack in accessories are, of course, outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back