V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 6, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #965 of 1,160
V-Moda CFW vs Fidue A83 (Odd Comparison)

So I felt like sharing some thoughts in regards to the V-Moda CFW and comparing it to my trusted Fidue A83. Now for this test I decided to pitch two different types of setups with my S6 Edge Plus; One where I used my Fidue A83 with PowerAmp and the second where I used my V-Moda Crossfade Wireless with Google Play Music.

So really this is going to be short but I just wanted to put my opinion out there. So the first thing I notice when I listened to the Fidue A83 is the tight and neutral bass response with forward mids and bright/sparkly treble. Switching from that to the V-Moda, I still get a tight bass response but with a little bit more boom and low end extension, the mids are more neutral with a slight forwardness to them and the treble is much smoother but still has some detail to it. I found the soundstage on both to be great, the Fidue A83 offered more air and soundstage over the V-Moda but I feel the V-Moda added more depth and thickness to the sound giving it more presence over the Fidue A83.

For me I found the Fidue A83 more detailed and the more accurate but when it came to enjoyment, I found the V-Moda to much more fun to listen to while still providing some detail and accuracy without going too far into colouring the music.

I know that this is not the most accurate way of comparing wireless vs wired but I’ve been switching between the two setups over the past week and found it interesting how I felt about each setup and I also found it interesting how I prefered the V-Moda, mainly due to the extra fun factor that it offers when listening to music over the Fidue A83.

Again I know it isn't the most fair or accurate comparison, considering in one test I am doing local playback and in the other I am doing music streaming but this is how I have been running each setup over the past week or so. And I really wanted to share my thoughts with the community, so let me know your thoughts and opinions.

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #966 of 1,160
I just replaced my iPhone 6 Plus with a Samsung Galaxy S7, and the difference in quality so far with one song (Killswitch Engage - We Carry On) is noticable. I still have my iPad Air 2, so I can go back and forth between the two. Both devices suffer at higher volume, but it's more apparent on the S7. I figure that a BT headphone with aptX support will sound better with the S7 than the CFWs do. I have an old LG Tone sitting around somewhere, but it may not be fair to compare due to the over-ear/in-ear difference, and age of the Tones (they might be BT v2.1 at best).

I bought the CFW fully knowing that these were geared towards iOS devices, so I'm not angry and am not complaining. I can always sell these off and pick up something else, though they're fine wired & I enjoy them with the AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2 DAC. I like the idea of a headphone that's both Bluetooth and wired. Over the fall and winter, all I had to do was pull the cord from the computer, switch on BT, and leave the office. With warmer weather approaching, I'll probably rely more on in-ears and sport models due to heat and sweat. But because of how hard it is to find a good pair of 3-button wired Android headphones, I might need to mainly use Bluetooth.
I can't understand how different bluetooth is going to affect SQ. i thought Bluetooth just pass the data signal and it's up to the headphones to convert them to analog? The bluetooth dac inside the headphones, to be precise

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #967 of 1,160
I can't understand how different bluetooth is going to affect SQ. i thought Bluetooth just pass the data signal and it's up to the headphones to convert them to analog? The bluetooth dac inside the headphones, to be precise

It's because on Android we are sending the music using SBC Codec (Not 100% if it does send MP3 as is) over Bluetooth and on the iPhone we are using AAC+ Codec over Bluetooth.

You are correct that Bluetooth is Bluetooth but each phone is sending the data over Bluetooth with a different codec.

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #968 of 1,160
For comparison, I've been using my Sony XBR950BT's for most of this week and have had no issues. It's still Bluetooth, but the audio sounded clearer compared to what I was getting from the CFWs. I'll switch back to the CFW on Monday and see how it sounds. The CFWs were also intermittently disconnecting from my Galaxy S7, which is another matter entirely. I could just send them back for a warranty replacement.

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #969 of 1,160
I'm not a frequent poster, but I'm a constant reader of this website. I was a hip hop dancer in NYC for 9 years, until injuries sidelined me long enough to change industries. My best one line, honest review would be... I'm having a hard time not dancing with these on :wink:

They're also great for backstage sound isolation during live streams. I bounce between 2-3 computers and TRS during our 6 hour streams. These give me so much freedom to just... move around on set. As a tool, they're great!

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #970 of 1,160
Hey

I have an issue with my CFW. I got also the 3d printed metal plates, I screwed them on but somehow I didn't do it right on one side. 
But the screws are already woren off from screwing them on and I can't screw them off to place the plate correctly. 
Now 2 screws on one side are kind of loose, or not tight enough or not straight, not sure.... And when deep bass is hitting, it results in a disturbing resonance from the metal plate or the screws, not sure.
So whats the solution? Sending them in to vmoda and paying shipping is kind of expensive from where i live, does anyone have a better idea? I have spare screws I just cant unscrew them, im not even sure if I could screw them back if I succeed unscrewing them...

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #971 of 1,160
Hey
I have spare screws I just cant unscrew them, im not even sure if I could screw them back if I succeed unscrewing them...
do you mean they were screwed in the plastic??? There was not a metal part inside the cans, where the screw would be fixed?
If they are screwed in the plastic it's over, you can't do much, the plastic was eaten.
You should glue it if you won't send them to fix.
To unscrew, did you apply enough pressure?
You could try by putting a thin but rigid and resistant something (like a small very thin flat screwdriver) between plastic and metal plate, in the corner where the loose screws are.
So you can lift the plate a bit and apply upward pressure while you unscrew. The plate would be lifting the screw and this would help unscrewing.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #972 of 1,160
do you mean they were screwed in the plastic??? There was not a metal part inside the cans, where the screw would be fixed?
If they are screwed in the plastic it's over, you can't do much, the plastic was eaten.
You should glue it if you won't send them to fix.
To unscrew, did you apply enough pressure?
You could try by putting a thin but rigid and resistant something (like a small very thin flat screwdriver) between plastic and metal plate, in the corner where the loose screws are.
So you can lift the plate a bit and apply upward pressure while you unscrew. The plate would be lifting the screw and this would help unscrewing.

To me, it sounds as though he stripped the hex head on the screw, or the hex driver that came with them stripped.  The best bet is to go get a proper set of hex wrenches so that you don't have to use the one that V-MODA sent with the shields.  It's junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back