V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 31, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #841 of 1,160
I've never used BlueTooth headphones, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but does or should the source device affect sound drastically if at all? I've always been under the assumption that BT headphones have their own built-in DAC and amp, so theoretically the only thing affecting the sound would be lag or latency. If not, then do different formats, AAC+, Apt-X, etc., actually sound different and furthermore, sound different depending on device?

Good question. Can you use a dac with bt headphones?

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #845 of 1,160
  I wouldn't think that a BT headphones have DACs built in since the source is still controlling the entire sound signature. You don't lose audio sig options on your sources when using BT headphones for this reason.

Could be wrong though...

BT headphones do in fact contain DACs though they are fairly poor due to battery constraints.

Can't find any details on the DAC in the CFW cans...

Source:
http://superuser.com/questions/464388/3-5mm-analog-audio-vs-bluetooth-audio-quality/464403

"If you are using a very high quality DAC on the source audio device, chances are it's better than the DAC that has to be in the bluetooth headphones to convert the bluetooth digital data to analog, because the in-headphones DAC is limited by battery power and size constraints"

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #846 of 1,160
I'm using these with a Note 5 and the sound performance particularly on the bass end of things is considerbly poor in wireless bluetooth mode. In wired mode the sound is phenomeonal. Can anyone direct me on how to improve the sound of these using my Note 5 in wireless bluetooth mode?

What is the issue with the bass performance? I noticed more bass in wireless mode. I created a slightly less bassy profile in poweramp on my galaxy s4 active. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #848 of 1,160
I have read this claim or something equivalent to it numerous times through this thread. Given the underlying hiss that is clearly audible during quiet passages of music in wireless more and is most definitely NOT there in wired listening, how are people making this claim? I bought into the hype and the early reviews that made the claim and have been sorely disappointed by the differences.

I was instantly weary about this hyped up headphone. Was ridiculed in here for asking questions about it's latency, and questioning the wild claims of sounding just as good wireless. I guess we have a lot of gullible people in this world that like to overestimate their own and other peoples intelligence. Sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade, and that seems to be exactly what Tyll from I.F. was doing in his review. For anyone that knows about audio, you know that 300hz is not bass, that's borderline mid-tone territory, ie. very crucial and not fun to have swamping your sound if you listen to a variety of different music, and have good ears (unless you like equalizing every song to match the headphones). So if it's true that they that hyped in the lower mid-tones, I can only imagine how unsatisfied many people would be with these. Glad I didn't jump on the hype train. Keep it real folks, and see ya on the flip side :wink:

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #849 of 1,160
I was instantly weary about this hyped up headphone. Was ridiculed in here for asking questions about it's latency, and questioning the wild claims of sounding just as good wireless. I guess we have a lot of gullible people in this world that like to overestimate their own and other peoples intelligence. Sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade, and that seems to be exactly what Tyll from I.F. was doing in his review. For anyone that knows about audio, you know that 300hz is not bass, that's borderline mid-tone territory, ie. very crucial and not fun to have swamping your sound if you listen to a variety of different music, and have good ears (unless you like equalizing every song to match the headphones). So if it's true that they that hyped in the lower mid-tones, I can only imagine how unsatisfied many people would be with these. Glad I didn't jump on the hype train. Keep it real folks, and see ya on the flip side :wink:

What did you end up going with? I'm doing my research before buying and am open to suggestions.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #851 of 1,160
What did you end up going with? I'm doing my research before buying and am open to suggestions.

I'm looking at investing in some pro digital wireles iem*s instead of consumer stuff, meaning, using any headphone/iem I want and then a pro wireless transmitter and receiver, preferably in the 2.4ghz wifi range, not bluetooth cr@p :)

edit: but have a look at this page for suggestions, if you haven't seen it already :) http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-wireless

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #852 of 1,160

I got in contact with V-Moda technical support and they informed me that SBC is the bluetooth codec unless it is an apple product.  The customer agent further explained this as that AAC is an iOS feature.  So for those of us with non-Apple phones you will not be able to use the higher quality bluetooth codecs (AAC, AAC+). I wanted to share this so anyone interested would be informed. 

Is this an android limitation? I think I read somewhere that apt-x could be enabled via firmware update. It might have been from Val himself. I hope that's the case as I finally heard the difference between apt-x and sbc. I have a little bluetooth clip on adapter with aptx and wired up the cfw to it. It sounds clearer and wider than the cfw's own bluetooth. (both to my galaxy s4 and note 3 haven't tried on my tablet). Since we can't use aac or aac+ at least update the firmware to let us android users have a higher quality codec. I'd rather keep these headphones than get something with higher quality codecs. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #854 of 1,160
  What is the issue with the bass performance? I noticed more bass in wireless mode. I created a slightly less bassy profile in poweramp on my galaxy s4 active. 

Love PowerAmp! Ive done the same but with lower emphasis on the treble. I have Tinnitus so sharp treble hurts my ears.

Hmmm to me every battery drains when the device is off. I haven't noticed this w my CFW or my MDR1ABT more than any other electronic device.

I have the MDR1ABT's as well and the battery life on them is ridiculously superb! I usually charge every week and a half to 2 weeks. I haven't noticed any battery drainage while its off either.

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #855 of 1,160
Is this an android limitation? I think I read somewhere that apt-x could be enabled via firmware update. It might have been from Val himself. I hope that's the case as I finally heard the difference between apt-x and sbc. I have a little bluetooth clip on adapter with aptx and wired up the cfw to it. It sounds clearer and wider than the cfw's own bluetooth. (both to my galaxy s4 and note 3 haven't tried on my tablet). Since we can't use aac or aac+ at least update the firmware to let us android users have a higher quality codec. I'd rather keep these headphones than get something with higher quality codecs. 

I asked V-Moda about a firmware update for apt-x and they said there is not one currently planned.

I have been comparing the CFW to Sony mdr-1abt. I hear slightly more clarity and a wider soundstage. It's not a huge difference but it is noticeable switching between the two. So I am trying to decide between the build quality of the crossfade wireless to the slightly more clear sounding sonys.

I don't know that AAC is a limitation of android or rather that AAC is iOS's "go to" for hi res Bluetooth and Apt-x is androids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back