V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 6, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #871 of 1,160
What's funny about Tyll's review is that he raved about the m100 and how fun it sounded...suddenly that same sound is no longer good for music listening to him. Only movies. All because of the modern audiophile label? Weren't the m100 classified the same way? It's interesting watching reviews and how peoples tastes change.

Another topic. Sony Mdr1abt owners, did you find the vocals to aound a bit hollow? Im liking the soundstage on them, but vocals and where the bass kicks sound a bit weird to me. I'll keep playing with them over the weekend but I don't know, I may be sticking with the cfw afterall.

Totally agree with your comment, I thought I was the only one that noticed that inconsistency in the review and his dislike for the modern audiophile level. 

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #872 of 1,160

What's funny about Tyll's review is that he raved about the m100 and how fun it sounded...suddenly that same sound is no longer good for music listening to him. Only movies. All because of the modern audiophile label? Weren't the m100 classified the same way? It's interesting watching reviews and how peoples tastes change.

Another topic. Sony Mdr1abt owners, did you find the vocals to aound a bit hollow? Im liking the soundstage on them, but vocals and where the bass kicks sound a bit weird to me. I'll keep playing with them over the weekend but I don't know, I may be sticking with the cfw afterall.

I remember seeing a youtube video of Tyll doing a quick review of the CFW in front of Val and telling him how good they sounded. My speculation is that Tyll got upset with the headphones after seeing the test results on a chart. Maybe the sound signature on paper was a bit too extreme for his taste. In my ears the M100 and the CWF have a very similar signature (with cable) and I personally preferred the CWF.

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #873 of 1,160

I notice it too, a bit, when listening side by side w/ the CFW and M100...but if I go up against something like the MSR7...I don't notice it as much.  I just think the V-MODA offerings are a bit more colored, which ends up clouding our judgement.  If I listen to the 1ABT all by itself for a while, they sound great.

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #874 of 1,160
Kudos to Tom22 ( @Tom22 ) for posting the link to Tyll's article and video about the CFW. Although as a hardcore basshead I may not share Tyll's tastes, and while I may have the complete-opposite music-listening ideology as he does, Tyll posted an extremely helpful response-curve chart, comparing the CFW to the M-100. You can compare the yellow and blue lines in the chart below:

I haven't had a chance to listen to the CFW yet, but based on what other users on Head-Fi have said, it looks like the CFW may sound better than the M-100 when not using an EQ or amp. On the other hand, when using extreme EQ presets with a good portable amp, I'm guessing the M-100 will handily beat the CFW in that aspect. The low-end bass extension on the M-100 below 40 Hz looks quite superior, but probably won't be very noticeable without extreme EQ'ing and amping.

Any thoughts on this?

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #875 of 1,160
  Kudos to Tom22 ( @Tom22 ) for posting the link to Tyll's article and video about the CFW. Although as a hardcore basshead I may not share Tyll's tastes, and while I may have the complete-opposite music-listening ideology as he does, Tyll posted an extremely helpful response-curve chart, comparing the CFW to the M-100. You can compare the yellow and blue lines in the chart below:

I haven't had a chance to listen to the CFW yet, but based on what other users on Head-Fi have said, it looks like the CFW may sound better than the M-100 when not using an EQ or amp. On the other hand, when using extreme EQ presets with a good portable amp, I'm guessing the M-100 will handily beat the CFW in that aspect. The low-end bass extension on the M-100 below 40 Hz looks quite superior, but probably won't be very noticeable without extreme EQ'ing and amping.

Any thoughts on this?

i'm not sure about the low end extension part....

i'm not an avid eq- user so i don't think i'm the right person to say this ( usually leave the stock sound alone)

but i feel like the cfw may start clipping if you try to boost that area to make it align with the m100s

nonetheless its certainly worth a shot 

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #876 of 1,160
  The low-end bass extension on the M-100 below 40 Hz looks quite superior, but probably won't be very noticeable without extreme EQ'ing and amping.

Any thoughts on this?

That's a kind of confusing statement, those graphs become irrelevant the minute you apply any eq.

i'm not sure about the low end extension part....

i'm not an avid eq- user so i don't think i'm the right person to say this ( usually leave the stock sound alone)

but i feel like the cfw may start clipping if you try to boost that area to make it align with the m100s

nonetheless its certainly worth a shot 

I mentioned further back in this thread you can eq the hell out of these without any perceivable negative affects, of course it depends on the quality of the amp and the eq.

Feb 7, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #877 of 1,160

That's a kind of confusing statement, those graphs become irrelevant the minute you apply any eq.

But wait a minute. What about driver sensitivity to low-end sub-bass? Sub-bass requires the most amount of power to drive. When I see a steeper rolloff at the low end on the CFW (vs. on the M-100), that tells me that the CFW may require not only a higher bass increment in my EQ presets to put out a similar ratio of bass, but also more amp power as well.

In other words with the CFW, I may get amp clipping (on my portable amp) at a lower volume level versus on the M-100 when pushing the same ratio of big sub-bass. This has totally been the story for me when trying out most other brands of headphones at my local hi-fi shop and comparing my M-100s to them.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #878 of 1,160
I notice it too, a bit, when listening side by side w/ the CFW and M100...but if I go up against something like the MSR7...I don't notice it as much.  I just think the V-MODA offerings are a bit more colored, which ends up clouding our judgement.  If I listen to the 1ABT all by itself for a while, they sound great.

I sent back the 1abt today. I prefered the cfw sound despite the codec differences. I use them wired at home and wireless on the road. I think my search is over until its time for a new headphone. I hate tone chasing. I got my guitar, amp, and now my headphone.

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #880 of 1,160
I've been debating on picking up the CFW but have concerns about the hiss that some people have reported here.  It seems like the hiss is not present for all users when running in wireless mode.  If the hiss is actually there and its not a bug this would be a deal breaker for me.  I hate purchasing a product and then having to return it.  If the pair I receive do have a hiss i'm assuming this would be something covered by vmoda warranty for replacement?  Can anyone who owns these cans comment on the hiss and give your thoughts?

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #881 of 1,160
  I've been debating on picking up the CFW but have concerns about the hiss that some people have reported here.  It seems like the hiss is not present for all users when running in wireless mode.  If the hiss is actually there and its not a bug this would be a deal breaker for me.  I hate purchasing a product and then having to return it.  If the pair I receive do have a hiss i'm assuming this would be something covered by vmoda warranty for replacement?  Can anyone who owns these cans comment on the hiss and give your thoughts?

The headphones do have hiss, most bluetooth headphones will have some form of underlying hiss but in the Crossfade Wireless it appears to be more prominent than other bluetooth headphones.

It won't be covered under V-Moda warranty, mainly and simply because it isn't a defect of the headphones and is more simply just Bluetooth.

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #882 of 1,160

I am on my 3rd pair of CFW and all have hissed to the point that wireless mode is essentially unusable for me due to the distraction it causes. I have had a number of different BT headphones (Matrix2 AF60s, LG Tone 700s, et al) and the CFW hiss is far and away the most prominent of any of them. That being said, they sound absolutely great in wired mode. I'm still trying to decide whether to sell these and try Sony or Bose or just make do with them wired. It's awfully nice to have BT at work so I can move around without the wire getting in the way.

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #883 of 1,160
I am on my 3rd pair of CFW and all have hissed to the point that wireless mode is essentially unusable for me due to the distraction it causes. I have had a number of different BT headphones (Matrix2 AF60s, LG Tone 700s, et al) and the CFW hiss is far and away the most prominent of any of them. That being said, they sound absolutely great in wired mode. I'm still trying to decide whether to sell these and try Sony or Bose or just make do with them wired. It's awfully nice to have BT at work so I can move around without the wire getting in the way.

Yeah, I have the m100's now and honestly if I had to deal with the option of hiss or strictly wired I would rather just stay with the m100.  I love the form factor of this headphone and I too would like to use wireless at work for the same reasons.

Does anyone else have any comments on the hiss?  Sorry to push this hard this is the deciding factor on me picking the CFW.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #884 of 1,160
They all have hiss, its not about bugged ones vs normal ones. It's there period. If you listen to music at low volume you can hear it. If you listen wirelessly outside or in a busy environment you wont hear it. I never use bluetooth mode when listening on the couch or in bed. Bottom line is it's there and its more noticable than any bluetooth headphone ive ever heard but less prominent than some gaming wireless headsets ive used. There should have been some kind of noise gate to squash that. Or use a better bluetooth chip. My little piece of crap dongle has barely noticable hiss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back