V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 31, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #826 of 1,160
I am at a bit of a loss as to what to think/do with my CFWs. I'm a big fan of V-Moda products in general and love their build qualities and sound. That being said my CFWs have a very distinct hiss underlying quiet passages of music and between tracks. It seems to have intensified over time to the point that I can't stand to listen to them wirelessly any more. This is my 3rd pair that have had this issue. Given the detailed ears that listen and post on this site, I'm very surprised this hasn't been a major topic with these headphones, so did I just get unlucky 3 times in a row or is there another explanation? I'm not buying that its inherent to BT, because I've had other much cheaper BT headphones without a hint of the hiss. Any suggestions?

The cfw hiss. Its not your particular headphone. All bluetooth headphones have some kind of signal noise to them. V-modas are louder than anything ive used so far. The quietest bluetooth device I have is a little 4.0 dongle. Many bluetooth devices hide the hiss by having it on all the time. The sony mdr1a had a very faint, always on hiss/signal noise. It was much more pleasant at low volumes than the cfw. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #827 of 1,160
saw this on my phone

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/v-moda-crossfade-wireless-mixed-bag#EQwbTI05KepHHyG3.97

looks like tyll doesn't seem thrilled with the crossfade wireless

I wonder why though, the differences between the m100s and the wireless (objectively speaking, in terms of measurements) isn't tooo drastic

yet he was quite happy in terms of both his written and video review of the m100s yet the crossfade wireless seems to garner a different sort of response

hm..... the m100s was $300 initially at its release= same with the wireless

is the cliquefold hinge?  the larger footprint?

hm....

wonder if he would still recommend the m100s today after listening to the wireless

questions....questions.....

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #828 of 1,160
I just read the article and wow he was hard on the sound recommending for calls and video- wow even his review of beat solo 2 seem more positive- well Tyll got news for you i like the sound signature of my Vmoda and i am not afraid to say tha i prefer a colored sound over totally neutral. especially when using them in a portable noisy enviroment. Ill say it i am a bass head so what. He seemed to put down and critisize the term "modern audiophile". whatever man. We all have preferences dont care about harman freq response blah blah. For home used i like my Alpha Primes which kind of have a warmish signature but still very detailed- i remember trying the HD800 to see what was all the fuss about and even with mods could not handle the piercing treble and lack of bass. Bottom line is a lot of us love a colored sound over some boring "neutral sound.

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #829 of 1,160
I just read the article and wow he was hard on the sound recommending for calls and video- wow even his review of beat solo 2 seem more positive- well Tyll got news for you i like the sound signature of my Vmoda and i am not afraid to say tha i prefer a colored sound over totally neutral. especially when using them in a portable noisy enviroment. Ill say it i am a bass head so what. He seemed to put down and critisize the term "modern audiophile". whatever man. We all have preferences dont care about harman freq response blah blah. For home used i like my Alpha Primes which kind of have a warmish signature but still very detailed- i remember trying the HD800 to see what was all the fuss about and even with mods could not handle the piercing treble and lack of bass. Bottom line is a lot of us love a colored sound over some boring "neutral sound.

well I think objectively the beats solo 2 measured "better". I'm loving my pair atm.

I didn't post the link to in a sense "rock the ship".

just figured viewers/reader see both sides of the coin so to speak.

well on the positive note, he did mention that for his music listening he didn't enjoy the wireless, and he did mention the master and dynamic mh40? I think

those are "fun sounding" but they don't pack near the same amount of punch as the m100 (to my memory, which is probably not very accurate, but ehh)...

those mh40s don't have a wireless function so (and he mentioned that they sound very similar whether wired or wireless, which is a very impressive as it is already!)

he did also say that if your "basshead" its perfectly fine! tylls no basshead i guess =)

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #830 of 1,160
I sense that some "Audiophiles" use the term "basshead" in a somewhat derrogatory manner or as a second class citizen - like if neutral sound is the only way to go- by the way i like classical music and modern alternative but on the go i need the extra ommph.
I guess his main point is " Honoring the original artistic intent with high-fidelity reproduction (not editorialization) is, in my mind, the highest priority goal of audio gear". Blah blah blah
Thats in a perfect world!!! I live in reality.
sorry for the rant lol

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #831 of 1,160

Tyll loved the original M-100. It's still on his Wall of Fame along with V-MODA's other two headphones the M-80, which I bought in part due to his review, and the XS. I haven't heard the CFW, so I don't know what's he's not liking about the sound, but he definitely is not a V-MODA hater.

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #832 of 1,160
Tyll's review I found to be very honest and to the point without being harsh. What was wrong with them? Too sparkly in the wrong place, and intrusive bass bloom. Sounds like a couple of reasonable complaints to me. I would love to hear them for myself. Love VModa's designs and I enjoy big bass and aggressive treble. Could be right up my alley.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #833 of 1,160
Have to say I love the V-MODA Crossfade Wireless. Prefer the sound over the Mater & Dynamic MH40s and the Sennheiser Momentum wireless. I'll probably end up selling the MH40s as well now. They sound just as well in wireless mode as they do in wired. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #834 of 1,160
I was about to buy these until I read Tyil's review. We have very similar tastes, although I love the Audioquest Nighthawk and he has been a bit quiet about them so far. Was looking for a good bluetooth pair just for the occasional treadmill work out and watching TV. I'm not a basehead though, more neutral based and have no opportunity to listen to these. Anyone else here got similar headphone tastes to me (see my sig) and own these? Would appreciate a wide perspective before pulling the trigger.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #835 of 1,160
[COLOR=2C2C2C] They sound just as well in wireless mode as they do in wired. [/COLOR]

I have read this claim or something equivalent to it numerous times through this thread. Given the underlying hiss that is clearly audible during quiet passages of music in wireless more and is most definitely NOT there in wired listening, how are people making this claim? I bought into the hype and the early reviews that made the claim and have been sorely disappointed by the differences.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #836 of 1,160
I have read this claim or something equivalent to it numerous times through this thread. Given the underlying hiss that is clearly audible during quiet passages of music in wireless more and is most definitely NOT there in wired listening, how are people making this claim? I bought into the hype and the early reviews that made the claim and have been sorely disappointed by the differences.

I haven't noticed any hiss while I've been using them over the weekend, I'm not saying that it's not there, just that I haven't noticed. I'm coming from the Momentum wireless as my main pair on headphones which I haven't been happy with. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #837 of 1,160
I'm using these with a Note 5 and the sound performance particularly on the bass end of things is considerbly poor in wireless bluetooth mode. In wired mode the sound is phenomeonal. Can anyone direct me on how to improve the sound of these using my Note 5 in wireless bluetooth mode?

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #838 of 1,160

They are pretty close. There is a slight hiss and there is some clipping at high volume but if you listen at low to moderate levels its about as good as every other BT headphone. I've got the MDR1ABT as well and while they both hiss a little the Sony doesn't seem to clip as much. Maybe that's because they don't go quite as loud.

It's as simple as you have to give something up when you go wireless. Just the technology right now.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #840 of 1,160
I've never used BlueTooth headphones, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but does or should the source device affect sound drastically if at all? I've always been under the assumption that BT headphones have their own built-in DAC and amp, so theoretically the only thing affecting the sound would be lag or latency. If not, then do different formats, AAC+, Apt-X, etc., actually sound different and furthermore, sound different depending on device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back