V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 23, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #796 of 1,160
I really don't know what people are talking about when they say their ears get hot. I use gaming headsets with synthetic leather and my ears dont sweat. I wear those for three to five hour stretches. As for working out I hate iems. I liked the Bose imei sport but they fall apart eventually. The wires get frayed near the earpiece.

So I switched to m100s which I got on sale for 150. Then I decided to go Bluetooth and here we are. As far as sweat goes, after a workout I wipe the pads down. Air dry and I'm good to go. They've never smelled, plus they're replaceable and I have two spares so that's not a big deal.

As for the sonys I haven't tried them yet. They'll be here on Monday. Wired sound, Aptx, amount of hiss,comfort, and bass response are going to be the deciding factors. Right now cfw sound great wired and wireless except for the low volume hiss in bt mode

i dunno I'm a sweaty boy i guess 0.0

yea i can totally see why your bose imei sport fell apart by the earpieces, that's why i enjoy Bluetooth during exercising.

that's a good deal you got the m100s from

oh I'm not saying no to wiping them down after working out (i would hope everyone does). im just saying it soaks INTO the pleather. honestly, my clothes smell like sweat after working out (duh) and if my thing is that if its soaked through my clothes, it'll soak through my headphones (and its not a smell i enjoy)

but thanks for sharing your thoughts! cheers! glad to hear what serves you well!

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #797 of 1,160
  Are there build quality issues with the CFWs?  It sounds like good customer service, but a lot of returns. 

A lot of returns, where exactly?

It is a big deal when a premium product has repeated issues.  Especially after the head guy stops by here stating they wouldn't sell blue tooth headphones until they were perfect. There have been more than a few defective units mentioned here with similar and unique complaints.  Some of the issues seem to be design rather than a one time glitch. 

For a high end product that many use daily, the exchange process is not quick and easy.  You aren't stopping in a store to make the swap. 

There's only been a couple of problems. One tiny cosmetic issue that I highlighted that you may or may not have, and two people with a driver issue. There's also been mentioned the volume that resets itself, but I'm pretty sure this is by design because they all seem do this, and for me the volume level that it resets itself too is below normal listening level.

Very true on the complaint department.  I'm just struggling to find a good pair of headphones that have a blue tooth option.  I'm willing to spend a little coin on them, but most seem to fall short of expectations. 

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these headphones especially for bluetooth, not to mention I can walk all over my house with these and they stay constantly connect.

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #798 of 1,160
I don't think I'd ever work out in these. I usually carry my Klipsch AS-5i sport earbuds with me at all times, and when I'm walking around NYC, sometimes I need to switch to them because the pads on the CFW (or my previous Sony XB950BTs) made me too hot. They crank the heat at my job on occasion, and I'll have to switch while at my desk. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #801 of 1,160
My phone gets lag, my tablet dosnt really seem bad. Its not perfectly synced but its not terrible. What device are you connectin it to? There might be a delay setting on your device or media player.

I will be using them on a bit of everything. iPhone, iPad, PS3, Apple TV, and a portable Bluetooth transmitter (not yet purchased) to connect to a couple of different TVs/receivers.

Maybe I am asking too much out of my future wireless headphones. The Sony MDR1s and the CFWs appear to be the best available. Just have pick one and go with it.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #803 of 1,160
Does anyone have experience using these for movies? Is the lack of aptX an issue?

You asked this already, different devices give different results.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/778150/v-moda-crossfade-wireless-exclusive-preview-videos-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/720#post_12241686

Why not just order from amazon? if you don't like them just return them for a refund or to replace them with the sony, its so easy with amazon and its free.

Even if everyone tells you they are fantastic, until they are on your head you will never know.

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #804 of 1,160
What I'd really like to know is if anyone on here has experience comparing aptX to AAC+? I've read reviews on the technology, but wonder how the performance differs when put into everyday situations.

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #805 of 1,160
What I'd really like to know is if anyone on here has experience comparing aptX to AAC+? I've read reviews on the technology, but wonder how the performance differs when put into everyday situations.

For what device, none of the devices you listed support aptx?

You don't say what bluetooth transmitter your planning to use with a tv/receiver because that opens up a whole other can of worms.

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #806 of 1,160
For what device, none of the devices you listed support aptx?

You don't say what bluetooth transmitter your planning to use with a tv/receiver because that opens up a whole other can of worms.

I was hoping to do my research and select the best headphones for what I need. Then work backwards and find the best transmitter for those headphones. Maybe I am approaching it the wrong way. I am locked into apple products; that's what my work provides and pays for. The portable transmitter is open.

I'm leaning towards the CFWs because aside from a cosmetic issue, they seem to be among the toughest built headphones around. Durability is a factor.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #807 of 1,160
I was hoping to do my research and select the best headphones for what I need. Then work backwards and find the best transmitter for those headphones. Maybe I am approaching it the wrong way. I am locked into apple products; that's what my work provides and pays for. The portable transmitter is open.

I'm leaning towards the CFWs because aside from a cosmetic issue, they seem to be among the toughest built headphones around. Durability is a factor.

Hey man, I got the Sony mdr1a today. The  short of it is: i'm sticking with the v-modas. I just preferred the bass of the cfw.  The tightness of the bass and how low it extends cleanly were what did it for me as far as sound signature. Sony's seemed to have a wider soundstage. If all I had were the mdr1a I would be happy. They're a great fun sounding headphone. I listened to them for about two hours straight. Then finally put the v-modas back in and immediately said "whoah" The thickness and depth of the sound immediately grabbed me. I listen to Metallica, Tool, Pearl Jam, Animals as Leaders, Mastodon. So as you can see mainly guitar driven music. I have no idea what your tastes are kpro, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with either. 

Non music related things that kept me with v-moda were the build quality and styling of the headphone. They look cooler to me on my head with my custom plates and the overall smaller size of the v-moda. Sony's build quality seem like one wrong drop or "oops I sat on them" would immediately break them, especially the swiveling ear cups. They swung freely (without creaking) if held by just the headband. Cfw can be used with other cables if need be and the boompro mic as well. The Sonys use a proprietary end on the headphone side of the plug so my boompro wouldn't fit, neither my small cables. The provided cable is downright flimsy.

two major pluses for Sony's are the battery life (30 hours) and the comfort. Because the earcups swivel, they fit my headshape like a glove. The earpads are soft as clouds too, but I think the swivel is what allows the pressure to be evenly distributed. 

APT-X...I have no idea, They both sounded extremely good to my ears in wireless mode. Either my phone wasn't pumping out aptx (galaxy s4 active) or it was and cfw sounds just as good without it. I'm using 320kbps files from poweramp. 

Sony cleverly hide their hiss by it being on all the time, since it never stops there's never a feeling of what it would be like to have no hiss at all. It is also relatively quiet compared to the v-moda's hiss. It takes less volume to drown it out than the cfw. Lucky for me I only use wireless outdoors or working out, two instances that require louder volume. 

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #809 of 1,160
You mean the 1abt? Sound wise I personally prefer the 1abt to the cfw, but they're just a tad bulkier and heavier. I agree the vmodas look better.

Yeah my bad, I meant 1abt. Which is pretty much the same thing as the 1a sans Bluetooth. I didn't feel like it was heavier, just bulkier. I can see why you prefer them. They're excellent headphones. Probably everything in the 300-400 range is excellent, just a matter of personal tastes, needs, and priorities. I have to admit, I'm not listening to high resolution music, flac, or anything above 320kbps so these headphones might all be lost on someone like me.

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #810 of 1,160
Yeah my bad, I meant 1abt. Which is pretty much the same thing as the 1a sans Bluetooth. I didn't feel like it was heavier, just bulkier. I can see why you prefer them. They're excellent headphones. Probably everything in the 300-400 range is excellent, just a matter of personal tastes, needs, and priorities. I have to admit, I'm not listening to high resolution music, flac, or anything above 320kbps so these headphones might all be lost on someone like me.

I auditioned the M100's and the 1A's at B&H and noticed the wider soundstage on the Sony's. The M100's had too much of a boxy sound, I suppose because of the narrow(er) soundstage. I ended up with the 1ABT's because the 1A's were sold out at the time of purchase, lol. They are bulky but still great looking cans. I LOVED the low end of the V-modas but I ultimately preferred the sound of the Sonys for the music I listen to.....House, Techno, DNB, Rock, Jazz. The Momentum 2's were nice as well but I'm not sure if the wireless variant are as good or better. They lack the low end of the Vmodas and Sonys but the clarity was phenomenal! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back