V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 5, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #721 of 1,160
Edit: I tested the BT performance tonight on the iPad and after a lengthy process of trying to figure out why the CFWs sounded so strange tonight, I realized that my non-stock cable was causing a poor connection and didnt seat fully. I was getting everything in mono, which threw off the whole test. I retried with a new cable and the iPad experience is the same as on my Note 5 - better body and clarity wired than with BT, though i couldnt tell much of any quality difference between the iPad vs Note 5 in BT mode.

However one strange thing between the two devices was volume controls over BT. With the iPad, the headphone volume controls behaved the same as the on-device controls. Increasing volume from the headphone showed the volume box on the device go up. On the Note5, it's like I had two separate volume controls. I could use the phone controls as a course volume adjustment and the headphones controls as fine adjustment. This allowed very quiet listening where the hiss was very clear. On the iPad, the lowest volume setting was actually still modestly loud.

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #722 of 1,160
The biggest difference for me between BT devices was sound stage, the nexus 7 sound stage is on par with my dac/amp, another device it was pretty narrow.

How do you find these compared with the Fidelio X2, because I had them as well but didn't like them to much.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #723 of 1,160
  The biggest difference for me between BT devices was sound stage, the nexus 7 sound stage is on par with my dac/amp, another device it was pretty narrow.

How do you find these compared with the Fidelio X2, because I had them as well but didn't like them to much.

I only really noticed it since you brought it up, but the sound stage is a tad wider and taller on the Note 5 vs. iPad.  The difference is so narrow, it might just be in my head.

As for the X2, I find there are more differences than similarities compared to the CFW.  In general I prefer open 'phones to closed and these two really highlight the differences even though the CFW doesn't block much noise compared to many other closed cans.  Speaking to the X2: sound stage is larger in every dimension; much less bass in terms of extension and quantity but generally more pleasing for genres that aren't electronic or rock; less impactful across pretty much all frequencies, more tonal balance overall.  Surprisingly, they are the same weight according to my kitchen gram scale.  I like that my whole ear fits comfortably inside the X2 but I like the feel of the CFW's XL pleather pads better.  The headband isn't as comfortable as the CFW.

Products like http://thebtunes.com/ make me question how much I want to keep the CFWs.  The major thing keeping me from trying it, is the lack of volume control.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #724 of 1,160
I emailed V-Moda to inquire about the hissing noise, asking if there was anything I could do to reduce the effect.

This is the response I got:

"This noise is common with all bluetooth products.  Unfortunately, there is no way to adjust this."

I thought this was an unfortunate answer since I often use Jaybird X2's and there is no audible hiss at all - and those are sealed in-ears which would only make the issue more evident.  So, on one hand, I don't buy the "common with all bluetooth products" answer.  However, I understand that the amp must produce more power to motivate the larger driver in the CFW.  I would love to have a low-gain setting to minimize the hiss during quiet bedroom listening.

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #725 of 1,160
  I emailed V-Moda to inquire about the hissing noise, asking if there was anything I could do to reduce the effect.

This is the response I got:

"This noise is common with all bluetooth products.  Unfortunately, there is no way to adjust this."

I thought this was an unfortunate answer since I often use Jaybird X2's and there is no audible hiss at all - and those are sealed in-ears which would only make the issue more evident.  So, on one hand, I don't buy the "common with all bluetooth products" answer.  However, I understand that the amp must produce more power to motivate the larger driver in the CFW.  I would love to have a low-gain setting to minimize the hiss during quiet bedroom listening.

I can also say that B&W P5 Wireless are absolutely silent when turned on, but not playing any audio through them.

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #726 of 1,160
I only get a hissing sound briefly, in between tracks. I don't hear anything when I pause music.

This may be a common occurrence with wired headphones in general, but since the line cable for these is wrapped in some sort of fabric, does this contribute to random shocks on the listener's ear? I've had this a few times now, and it's enough to startle me and make me put these down for a while. I'm guessing the cloth on the cable rubbing up against my shirt (cotton) is causing static build-up.

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #727 of 1,160
I Skyped with my dad earlier and he said he's never noticed any hiss noise in wireless mode.

I'm sure glad that my dad and I aren't crazy audiophiles! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #729 of 1,160
Any suggestions on pairing the CFW's with a tv? Is there a quality Bluetooth adapter available? I'm a new dad who misses listening to music and movies at louder volumes. I also spend a fair amount of time flying; these look like a solid replacement for my QC15's.

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #730 of 1,160
Any suggestions on pairing the CFW's with a tv? Is there a quality Bluetooth adapter available? I'm a new dad who misses listening to music and movies at louder volumes. I also spend a fair amount of time flying; these look like a solid replacement for my QC15's.

There are a lot of BT transmitters on Amazon. I would go with a 4.0 model. Then just pair it with your CFW. Or, save money and just stick with the QC15, connected to another BT receiver (Mpow has been getting great reviews). The biggest issue with that method will probably be Bose's pesky 2.5mm jack with a really long stem. You eill either need to still use the Bose cable connected to the BT receiver or find a suitavle short adapter. Check out Btunes for exactly that, a dedicated Bose compatible version of a BT receiver BUT it has no onboard volume control so youll need to control volume at the source.

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #731 of 1,160
I would avoid bluetooth for tv just because of the latency. Its jarring to have delay between the audio and the video. I personally hate it. I use optical wireless headphones for tv and gaming. There's no noticeable lag. 

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #732 of 1,160
I would avoid bluetooth for tv just because of the latency. Its jarring to have delay between the audio and the video. I personally hate it. I use optical wireless headphones for tv and gaming. There's no noticeable lag. 

The delay is my biggest concern with regards to tv/movies. I looked at wireless headphones, but would like Bluetooth for the versatility. May have to reconsider.

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #733 of 1,160
Hopefully if Apple does release their own wireless format as rumored we get a V-MODA CFW version made for it. I'm sure Apple's technology will be superior to Bluetooth 4.0.

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #734 of 1,160

My advise as far as using these for movies and tv is give it a try, I'm very sensitive to sync issues (I HATE IT) as I've done a lot of video editing and had to sync a lot of audio and video, but I have used these with my HTCP and can quite happily watch stuff without feeling the need to make any sync adjustment, and this is watching movies with DTS 5.1 tracks so latency will be even higher.

Don't forget we are talking milliseconds, you can put audio out to a certain degree before its perceived to be out of sync, but at the end of the day it will come down to your specific set up, so the only way to know is to to give it a try.

Most modern tv's and pvr's have an options to sync audio anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back