V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 17, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #751 of 1,160
  There's a volume issue with these in BT mode, for sure. I use them with my iPhone 6+ and only keep it a few ticks above the minimum. I'll turn the headphones off, turn em back on later, and the volume is moved to about halfway. I forget this half the time & have to yank them off my head to fix the volume. I haven't ever had this problem with Bluetooth headphones, so I don't know what gives here.

That's been mentioned a few times in the thread... It's an issue :frowning2:

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #753 of 1,160
So, I've been using a pair of M-100s January, 2013 and it was a fantastic experience. They sound great with iPhone, as a switcher from Beats line I was shocked by sound clarity of mids and bass was pure and massive at the same time.
To be honest, listening to music destroyes headphones.
The sound of M-100 has become weaker can, the plastic cracked in some areas, so, when I saw an announcement of Wireless, I've made a decision to upgrade.
Am I totally disappointed? No.
Wireless looks pretty good in black but actually plastic feels cheaper.
There is a difference in sound between wired and wireless modes for sure but it's significant only in bass zone.
And here is the thing: you get much more bass in wired mode (maybe because I use iPhone 6 Plus which is pretty bassy itself) BUT it's still not much as it was on M-100s.
That means I miss my old silver M-100 but wireless mode is pretty handy in daily usage.
Also, I ordered XL cushions with the headphones but they have not come yet.
So, I've received the headphones like 3 weeks ago and wrote a letter to Customer service but have not received any feedback yet. Can you advice what should I do with this?
I'm sorry for any mistakes, I'm from Russia.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #754 of 1,160
  There's a volume issue with these in BT mode, for sure. I use them with my iPhone 6+ and only keep it a few ticks above the minimum. I'll turn the headphones off, turn em back on later, and the volume is moved to about halfway. I forget this half the time & have to yank them off my head to fix the volume. I haven't ever had this problem with Bluetooth headphones, so I don't know what gives here.

I'm hoping there are firmware updates to make them better. Particularly the hiss and volume resetting

I Hope for that too, but i dont think a firmware will adjust the buzzing and hiss of the speakers inside the headphones maybe just adjust the volume leveling because what i feel is that this last click of the max volume is a big jump from the level before it so my feeling is like the speakers cant handle that high volume.

Also as i used the M-100 before i was able to get much higher volume with My C5D amp than what i can with the CFW in wired mode without any buzzing or hiss

and yes the difference between wired and wireless is in the bass zone where i can clearly hear the buzz/hiss

maybe they will adjust it in a 2nd revision or something.

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #755 of 1,160

I Hope for that too, but i dont think a firmware will adjust the buzzing and hiss of the speakers inside the headphones maybe just adjust the volume leveling because what i feel is that this last click of the max volume is a big jump from the level before it so my feeling is like the speakers cant handle that high volume.

Also as i used the M-100 before i was able to get much higher volume with My C5D amp than what i can with the CFW in wired mode without any buzzing or hiss

and yes the difference between wired and wireless is in the bass zone where i can clearly hear the buzz/hiss

maybe they will adjust it in a 2nd revision or something.

Its not the drivers/speakers, you can amp these like mad, much louder than the amp does when in BT mode, you can also EQ them like crazy in the lower end and not get any distortion/popping.

Some amps just don't perform well at max volume, which is why its always recommended you get an amp with plenty of headroom. I would also imagine power/performance plays a roll here???

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #756 of 1,160
Yeah for the record these get loud enough for me. Max volume on both my phone and the headphone is uncomfortably loud.I just wish it had clean headroom so I could max out the headphone and use my phone as a master volume. Cant do the opposite either bc my phone distorts the signal at the highest volume. Granted I have the preamp in power amp maxed out.
Tldr: there's enough volume

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #757 of 1,160

I downloaded the newer version of Bluetooth Explorer and was able to force select AAC as the bluetooth codec, however the CFW still only display as SBC on my Mac. 

For those interested:

I investigated a bit further the codec that the CFW appear to be using.  This time I did a bluetooth capture on my Samsung Galaxy S5 running flac and mp4 audio.  Just as with my Mac the bluetooth codec that appears is still SBC.  This is disappointing that these headphones are supposed to support AAC.  Of course there are many variables and this could be an issue with the Samsung and Mac.  I have emailed Vmoda to see if they can shed any light. 

Or maybe I am completely confused about the whole bluetooth codecs. Should I expect to see AAC as the codec or is this somehow used under the hood of SBC? 

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #758 of 1,160
I thought Val said these supported AAC? I'm heading to bed
  For those interested:

I investigated a bit further the codec that the CFW appear to be using.  This time I did a bluetooth capture on my Samsung Galaxy S5 running flac and mp4 audio.  Just as with my Mac the bluetooth codec that appears is still SBC.  This is disappointing that these headphones are supposed to support AAC.  Of course there are many variables and this could be an issue with the Samsung and Mac.  I have emailed Vmoda to see if they can shed any light. 

Or maybe I am completely confused about the whole bluetooth codecs. Should I expect to see AAC as the codec or is this somehow used under the hood of SBC? 

I believe Val said these do AAC+. http://www.head-fi.org/t/778150/v-moda-crossfade-wireless-exclusive-preview-videos-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/600#post_12073374

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #759 of 1,160
Yeah,  I saw that post.  From the V-Moda site: Ultimate codecs - AAC+, AAC, MP3, SBC audio codecs in Bluetooth mode delivers hi-fi sound and maximum compatibility with all iOS, Android and notebook devices

So both AAC + and AAC should be supported. I just have not been able to see these as the actual running codecs even when forcing AAC on my mac the CFW connect as SBC.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #760 of 1,160

Its not the drivers/speakers, you can amp these like mad, much louder than the amp does when in BT mode, you can also EQ them like crazy in the lower end and not get any distortion/popping.

Some amps just don't perform well at max volume, which is why its always recommended you get an amp with plenty of headroom. I would also imagine power/performance plays a roll here???

I already amp it with My JDS C5D in wired mode and its fine not as loud as my previous M-100 but loud enough, since i got the M-100 and i have been using it on max volume that it hurts and i used to like that because my kind of music is trance and i liked to feel i am inside the event :D

The CFW cant reach that loud level without distortion/hiss/buzz with the same AMP that i used with my M-100

The Main Problem lies in the BT Mode where the max volume isnt enjoyable at all. i wish i hear things that loud but without distortion.

Yeah for the record these get loud enough for me. Max volume on both my phone and the headphone is uncomfortably loud.I just wish it had clean headroom so I could max out the headphone and use my phone as a master volume. Cant do the opposite either bc my phone distorts the signal at the highest volume. Granted I have the preamp in power amp maxed out.
Tldr: there's enough volume

I am used to that loud level of volume even more loud since my M-100. i just wish its loud and without that buzz that get along the bass in all the tracks i play

in anyway shall i keep it ? or return it ? i mean its not defective right ?

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #761 of 1,160

I already amp it with My JDS C5D in wired mode and its fine not as loud as my previous M-100 but loud enough, since i got the M-100 and i have been using it on max volume that it hurts and i used to like that because my kind of music is trance and i liked to feel i am inside the event :D

The CFW cant reach that loud level without distortion/hiss/buzz with the same AMP that i used with my M-100

If they are not as loud wired as your M-100 then it suggests that the CFW are harder to drive, so your no longer getting the same performance from your amp at max volume.

Using these wired I can listen to dubstep at ear bleeding levels with no problems at all.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #762 of 1,160

If they are not as loud wired as your M-100 then it suggests that the CFW are harder to drive, so your no longer getting the same performance from your amp at max volume.

Using these wired I can listen to dubstep at ear bleeding levels with no problems at all.

yes i remember the M-100 was louder , and with a cleaner bass much cleaner. i dont go to the max with my amp its still have so much more headroom in the amp i never reached its max because whatever headphones cant handle that much amplification in the C5D.

So what i mean is that my M-100 i could do extra clicks on the volume on the amp without distortion compared to my CFW. what i mean to say is that the CFW cant handle the amplification as the M-100 used to.

And a good example for that is when you go to the max volume in BT mode the amplification in the max volume click make much distortion.

Do you have any issues in BT mode on max volume level ? do you hear any buzzing with bass or distortion/hiss ?

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #763 of 1,160
I use these primarily while working out at the gym with XL cups and they are fantastic. There may be a loss in SQ in wireless mode but it's either barely perceptible (to my ears at least!) or that is just a little sacrifice I make for the convenience of not stripping headphones off my ears every time I get on the elliptical.

Also, how many situations can you think of when you want absolutely perfect SQ (which you're not getting with the CFW anyway TBH) and wireless convenience?

In terms of overall experience in the gym and how these cans deal with sweat, it's at an acceptable level whatever that means to you. My workouts are typically around 60-70 minutes and these are great throughout that time and actually mostly stay out of the way. I had to dab them once with a paper towel but that was only during a really intense cardio day. Overall, I'm happy with them in the gym.

Hope this helps...

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #764 of 1,160
I'm wondering, seeing as it seems very likely that Apple is going to get rid of the 3.5 plug, is it at all possible that v-moda will/can release a new cable with a lightning connection? I have the Crossfade Wireless so it's not a big deal cause I use it mostly in wireless mode, but it would be really great to still be able to plug in the wire if need be.

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #765 of 1,160
I'm wondering, seeing as it seems very likely that Apple is going to get rid of the 3.5 plug, is it at all possible that v-moda will/can release a new cable with a lightning connection? I have the Crossfade Wireless so it's not a big deal cause I use it mostly in wireless mode, but it would be really great to still be able to plug in the wire if need be.

Good question... if this is the case, get ready for all headphones to come with detachable cables and come with lightning variants as overpriced options. And then imagine Android phones doing the same... now you have lightning and usb options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back