V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 29, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #526 of 1,160

I second this. I wantneed to know if this supports aptX before I would consider buying one, but, more specifically, which aptX it supports (or none at all, or something else). There are multiple types of aptX: "normal", Low Latency, Lossless, "enhanced" and Live, the latter of which I didn't know about until just now. Please be specific.

Why has this question not been answered by Val ?? I was just about to get excited…quit ducking the question. Some of us are actually wanting to use something like this for professional live use, believe it not. If it’s not capable of providing accurate, <2ms latency, forget about it. http://www.csr.com/products/59/aptx-live

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #527 of 1,160

Why has this question not been answered by Val ?? I was just about to get excited…quit ducking the question. Some of us are actually wanting to use something like this for professional live use, believe it not. If it’s not capable of providing accurate, <2ms latency, forget about it. http://www.csr.com/products/59/aptx-live

Can you point me to a good and credible article that even somewhat definitively shows that aptx makes a real difference?  I haven't been able to find any really good tests.

Also, I would just expect that it doesn't support it unless it is stated, but I don't know.

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #529 of 1,160
  Can you point me to a good and credible article that even somewhat definitively shows that aptx makes a real difference?  I haven't been able to find any really good tests.

Also, I would just expect that it doesn't support it unless it is stated, but I don't know.

I’m not affiliated etc. with apt-x so I’m afraid you’ll have to do your own googling :) I think that when a company states 40ms of latency on the supposedly “low latency” apt-x codec and 1.9ms on the “live” codec, if those numbers are even remotely true, that’s a HUGE difference when talking real world applications such as doing live tracking/monitoring/playing/singing etc. basically doing any time critical professional work would be an issue.

Kinda funny how this guy conveniently mention all these things that supposedly make these cans as good wireless as wired, and totally disregard the Apt-x question, no word on latency otherwise..all this is up to the users to figure out..

I’m obviously interested in the total roundtrip latency..It all adds up. Perhaps the “live” codec is more expensive than the “low latency” one? In any event, unless Apt-X are slow with updating their site, I think this guy is probably, unfortunately, right:

Quote:
  V-Moda products couldn't be found on AptX website, thus I doubt they'd be supporting AptX codec. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #530 of 1,160

Try using the thread search as it has been answered.

Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We will consider APT-X, and our Flash is upgradable to it in Crossfade Wireless - but we want to see more sources support it.

-V

http://www.head-fi.org/t/778150/v-moda-crossfade-wireless-exclusive-preview-videos-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/315#post_11942639

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #531 of 1,160
Sorry, new here…“Go to APT-X site, one notebook supports it” and “APT-X has some cool features in the FUTURE, but now 99% of consumers cannot take advantage of it (like APT-X LL of 40ms).”  Sorry but those statements are untrue, borderline blatant lies.

Perhaps it has a sound profile, that masks the loss in detail, since it’s claimed that these cans sound the same as when cabled. But facts are facts. It’s not using a lossless technology, far from it. Notice how he mentions (almost as if it’s a feature in itself) that when out and about, you won’t hear the difference from cabled or wireless. He might also refrain from mentioning any truth about the actual latency, noise floor etc. of his product. I could try and google all night long, to no avail.

I think perhaps Yaroslav said it best:

I love the smell of bull in the morning. This kind of talk is even worse than talk on golden cables that "improve the sound", diamond HDMI cables and such.

So far there is no single mention of V-MODA being able to do Apt-X in this thread (but a very long list of features that does indeed look nice), so I have to assume V-MODA does not have Apt-X license unless Val explicitly says otherwise. I really hope it does.

TL;DR if it does support Apt-X, the sound off iPhone and such will still be worse than on wired version. If it does not support Apt-X, the sound off everything will be worse, and I don't think it is wise to spend more than, say, $100 on a non-Apt-X enabled headset. If it does not support Apt-X, there is no way the bold part of the quote could possibly be true.

1. If a bluetooth headphone supports Apt-X, it indeed can sound very close to its wired version, but usually don't (has to include a good DAC inside of the ear cup and there is still that acoustics problem; see Tyll of InnerFidelity on Momentum 2.0 wireless review to learn how wired and wireless versions usually compare). But, you still have to have a source that supports Apt-X. MacBook Pro does it out of the box, you can buy an adapter for PCs, but a lot of really popular smartphones do not! iPhone does not support Apt-X. Nexus does not support Apt-X to avoid licensing fees. Same for 1+1 AFAIR. Even if Crossfade Wireless supports Apt-X, there is no way you can get the same clarity on iPhone or a Nexus phone.

2. If it does not support Apt-X, well, the sound quality should be audibly bad. If you wonder about that, you can get one of the Sony wireless headphones, they basically have a profile switch on them between common Bluetooth CSR and Apt-X, basically, Apt-X on and Apt-X off. MDR-1ABT and MDR-10RBT will do. Just pair them with a good Apt-X enabled source (Sony smartphone, MacBook Pro, etc.) and test it out. The differences are very audible — like comparing a 192 MP3 to 320 MP3.

Head-Fi forums have some great investigations on Apt-X quality and overall bluetooth headphones quality, so I advise anybody who's into that to lurk around. 

P.S. I am no hater, and I own 3 V-MODA products, but this is just plain funny.

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #532 of 1,160
I’m not affiliated etc. with apt-x so I’m afraid you’ll have to do your own googling :) I think that when a company states 40ms of latency on the supposedly “low latency” apt-x codec and 1.9ms on the “live” codec, if those numbers are even remotely true, that’s a HUGE difference when talking real world applications such as doing live tracking/monitoring/playing/singing etc. basically doing any time critical professional work would be an issue.

Kinda funny how this guy conveniently mention all these things that supposedly make these cans as good wireless as wired, and totally disregard the Apt-x question, no word on latency otherwise..all this is up to the users to figure out..

I’m obviously interested in the total roundtrip latency..It all adds up. Perhaps the “live” codec is more expensive than the “low latency” one? In any event, unless Apt-X are slow with updating their site, I think this guy is probably, unfortunately, right:

No, that's the thing, I have googled it but I haven't found anything that shows through testing that it is necessarily better.  Was just curious if you had additional information that I haven't seen considering you thought it somewhat necessary.

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #533 of 1,160
Sorry, new here…“Go to APT-X site, one notebook supports it” and “APT-X has some cool features in the FUTURE, but now 99% of consumers cannot take advantage of it (like APT-X LL of 40ms).”  Sorry but those statements are untrue, borderline blatant lies.

Perhaps it has a sound profile, that masks the loss in detail, since it’s claimed that these cans sound the same as when cabled. But facts are facts. It’s not using a lossless technology, far from it. Notice how he mentions (almost as if it’s a feature in itself) that when out and about, you won’t hear the difference from cabled or wireless. He might also refrain from mentioning any truth about the actual latency, noise floor etc. of his product. I could try and google all night long, to no avail.

I think perhaps Yaroslav said it best:

I love the smell of bull in the morning. This kind of talk is even worse than talk on golden cables that "improve the sound", diamond HDMI cables and such.

So far there is no single mention of V-MODA being able to do Apt-X in this thread (but a very long list of features that does indeed look nice), so I have to assume V-MODA does not have Apt-X license unless Val explicitly says otherwise. I really hope it does.

TL;DR if it does support Apt-X, the sound off iPhone and such will still be worse than on wired version. If it does not support Apt-X, the sound off everything will be worse, and I don't think it is wise to spend more than, say, $100 on a non-Apt-X enabled headset. If it does not support Apt-X, there is no way the bold part of the quote could possibly be true.

1. If a bluetooth headphone supports Apt-X, it indeed can sound very close to its wired version, but usually don't (has to include a good DAC inside of the ear cup and there is still that acoustics problem; see Tyll of InnerFidelity on Momentum 2.0 wireless review to learn how wired and wireless versions usually compare). But, you still have to have a source that supports Apt-X. MacBook Pro does it out of the box, you can buy an adapter for PCs, but a lot of really popular smartphones do not! iPhone does not support Apt-X. Nexus does not support Apt-X to avoid licensing fees. Same for 1+1 AFAIR. Even if Crossfade Wireless supports Apt-X, there is no way you can get the same clarity on iPhone or a Nexus phone.

2. If it does not support Apt-X, well, the sound quality should be audibly bad. If you wonder about that, you can get one of the Sony wireless headphones, they basically have a profile switch on them between common Bluetooth CSR and Apt-X, basically, Apt-X on and Apt-X off. MDR-1ABT and MDR-10RBT will do. Just pair them with a good Apt-X enabled source (Sony smartphone, MacBook Pro, etc.) and test it out. The differences are very audible — like comparing a 192 MP3 to 320 MP3.

Head-Fi forums have some great investigations on Apt-X quality and overall bluetooth headphones quality, so I advise anybody who's into that to lurk around. 

P.S. I am no hater, and I own 3 V-MODA products, but this is just plain funny.

Did you see this? :

"We will consider APT-X, and our Flash is upgradable to it in Crossfade Wireless - but we want to see more sources support it.

-V"

http://www.head-fi.org/t/778150/v-moda-crossfade-wireless-exclusive-preview-videos-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/315#post_11942639

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #534 of 1,160
Did you see this? :

"We will consider APT-X, and our Flash is upgradable to it in Crossfade Wireless - but we want to see more sources support it.

-V"

Yes I did see that. Sounds promising, but not holding my breath, given that the guy in charge somehow thinks 99% of people can’t use Apt-x…. 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
  No, that's the thing, I have googled it but I haven't found anything that shows through testing that it is necessarily better.  Was just curious if you had additional information that I haven't seen considering you thought it somewhat necessary.

As long as I can use it with my Mac and the roundtrip latency is sufficient for the kind of work I’m doing, I’m happy.

Apt-x claims 1.9ms with the Live version. Is it possible to achieve such low latency without apt-x should be the question.

For “comparison”: The Line 6 Relay G70 and G75 "provide industry-leading audio specs and the lowest latency of any digital wireless system (under 1.5ms). A custom-designed radio with four calibrated internal antennas delivers a lossless 24-bit digital signal and a wide dynamic range of up to 120dB. And unlike other digital wireless systems, Relay G70 and G75 never compress the signal”

- Now those Line 6 things are for musicians, and is running on 2.4GhZ wifi so it’s not a fair comparison, but just to mention that is is possible, if you choose the right method and actually care about latency when making a product. I don’t think Apt-x would state the “low latency” version to be 40ms if it was less…40ms is a lot in my world. Perhaps it should be  re-named “slow latency”, when you look at what is actually doable these days.

​So I guess the question is: When will the Croosfade Wireless get updated to work with Apt-x Live ?

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #535 of 1,160
Here it is folks! My custom V-Moda CFW Headphones. Super happy with the results! Special thanks to @ValKolton (Val Kolton) for making this possible! :)

What I used:
- V-Moda Crossfade Wireless (Phantom Chrome).
- Custom Shields With My Own Logo + Chrome Screws.
-  V-Moda XL Memory Cushions.

Let me know what you think? :)

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #536 of 1,160
Would appreciate if someone could shed some light on the approximate time it takes to get the 3D printed shields. It's been a month since I sent the design, but I haven't heard from the 6-star support when they'd be shipped. Does it always take so long? I don't mind waiting but the radio silence is frustrating.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #537 of 1,160
Would appreciate if someone could shed some light on the approximate time it takes to get the 3D printed shields. It's been a month since I sent the design, but I haven't heard from the 6-star support when they'd be shipped. Does it always take so long? I don't mind waiting but the radio silence is frustrating.

Did you call them to ask about the status?

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #540 of 1,160
I'm out of the country so calling isn't an option at the moment. Emailed the support and they just forwarded me to someone else who hasn't answered. How long did you have to wait before getting your shields, DanidJ?

Hmm ok. Do you have an order number? I could call them for you to see if I can get an update since I live here in Los Angeles (send me a PM for security purposes). I got mine pretty quickly since they were laser engraved, I know that 3D printed shields take longer since the process is a bit more complex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back