V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 31, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #541 of 1,160
Would appreciate if someone could shed some light on the approximate time it takes to get the 3D printed shields. It's been a month since I sent the design, but I haven't heard from the 6-star support when they'd be shipped. Does it always take so long? I don't mind waiting but the radio silence is frustrating.

I know it said 15-19 days which I'm guessing are business days so that would be roughly a month. I'm surprised you haven't heard back from support as they always got back to me very quickly.

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #543 of 1,160

Wondering about Gunmetal versions for your CFW or LP.  My gunmetal CFW as pictured above has this bluish tint which shows up in pictures as those blue stripes.  I was wondering if anyone else has the same tint to their gunmetal versions of V-Moda headphones.

This is what I expected.  A matte greyish gunmetal whereas mine is more of a polished chrome with a blue tint.  In less light it looks like a polished gunmetal but it isn't quite what I expected.  To be honest I think my shields looks pretty cool and kind of unique but I just wondered if this was isolated or if this is how V-Moda gunmetal is across the board.

Wow. This is disappointing. My gun metal headphones are suppose to be here Tuesday. If this is what they look like they're going right back. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #544 of 1,160
  Wow. This is disappointing. My gun metal headphones are suppose to be here Tuesday. If this is what they look like they're going right back. 

They look nice but I'm more of the matte black non flashy type of guy.  I'm keeping mine because I don't mind the color and I didn't really care for the other options personally.  They all look cool, just not for me.  I'm considering swapping my matte black shields from my M100 since my CFW leave the house every day and my M100 stays home unless I'm traveling.

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #545 of 1,160
  They look nice but I'm more of the matte black non flashy type of guy.  I'm keeping mine because I don't mind the color and I didn't really care for the other options personally.  They all look cool, just not for me.  I'm considering swapping my matte black shields from my M100 since my CFW leave the house every day and my M100 stays home unless I'm traveling.

I do agree that some people will prefer the matte black shields, but that is why on V-MODA.com you can select an extra set of any aluminum or 3D printed shields for FREE (with or without customization).  We give you choices... 3D fiber, steel, precious metals or aluminum.

Personally, I like the matte black shields on Phantom Chrome...

PS - the gunmetal color is very hard to make consistent and it looks very different like a chameleon in various lighting, so look at it indoors/outdoors/etc. and with/without flash.  When we had Gunmetal in Apple stores the lighting made them look green, but they were very grey in fact without their unique lighting.

-V

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #546 of 1,160

Why has this question not been answered by Val ?? I was just about to get excited…quit ducking the question. Some of us are actually wanting to use something like this for professional live use, believe it not. If it’s not capable of providing accurate, <2ms latency, forget about it. http://www.csr.com/products/59/aptx-live

APTX-LL is 40-50ms, not acceptable for live/production but okay for TV... We will continue to research this and our CSR chips are Flash upgradable to a certain extent so we can add features later if CSR supports it....

FOR 0-latency, XFW supports pure analog wired mode and should be used for XBOX ONE, PS4 and music/DJ production.

The most important yet not talked about codec I am telling you is AAC+, which is what Apple supports and most streaming services... We could debate for years on which codec is best in the 320kbps pipe BT offers, but for most users NOT re-encoding the source or coloring it with DSP/artificial EQ will be the best sound.  

I am always talking to CSR and will ensure we have the best BT in the planet, while keeping the analog sounding virtually the same!

have you read some other BT headphone brands pages, its something like this:

Why is the audio cable included?

Audio will sound different because the headphones won’t have the power electronics that implement active EQ built into the wireless module.

-V 

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #547 of 1,160
  This makes me very happy.  Thanks.

I am new to joining the forum but I have read from it for a while now and part of the reason I was sold on V-Moda was your involvement in the community here.  It is appreciated and none of your products have disappointed me yet.

Thanks for your support, I couldn't do it without the community.  I read every post and take every message to heart while developing the products. I wish I could post more but my Italian keyboard makes too many errors and I guess I should just let go and make errors (Also, I've been busy launching some very new special projects, especially our in-ears!)...

So I just received my pair of the cross fade wireless and I have got to say they sound absolutely phenomenal in both wired and wireless modes. My one question is about charging. It may be a dumb question but will it be okay to use a phone wall charger with the USB cable to charge the headphones as I don't always have quick access to a computer with a USB port on it. I'd hate to somehow damage the battery by doing this.

Yes, it is okay... they should charge fairly quick in 30 mins.

Would these headphones be ruined by rain or melted snow?

In fact, our headphones are very resilient to water as they are also built to be DJ/running headphones, I wear mine all the time in the rain. However, we do not advertise they are water proof and we do recommend to take care of them in rainy/snow environments.  However, we do have the immortal life program, so if you want to snowboard/work out/etc. go ahead.  If they eventually go out, we'll replace them half price for life!

Many DJs, gym-rats and runners have used the same pair of V-MODAs for years...

I would imagine so.  I'm sure they can get a little rain on them but I wouldn't be using these uncovered in heavy rain or snow.

Si... not heavy rain but a little light rain shouldn't hurt, and if it does I'd like to see and analyze the unit...

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #548 of 1,160

I do agree that some people will prefer the matte black shields, but that is why on V-MODA.com you can select an extra set of any aluminum or 3D printed shields for FREE (with or without customization).  We give you choices... 3D fiber, steel, precious metals or aluminum.

Personally, I like the matte black shields on Phantom Chrome...

PS - the gunmetal color is very hard to make consistent and it looks very different like a chameleon in various lighting, so look at it indoors/outdoors/etc. and with/without flash.  When we had Gunmetal in Apple stores the lighting made them look green, but they were very grey in fact without their unique lighting.

-V

The process kind of confused me.  I thought I had to choose one of the new shields as part of the process and for some reason didn't see the "Add to Cart" button below and kept pressing next.  When I ordered them I inquired about the time it would take and was told since I added the free custom shields that my order would take 15-19 days to ship.  I went back and changed it to not include the extra shields because 1, I wanted gunmetal 2, I had matte black shields on my m100 and 3 I am impulsive and wanted my CFW/XFW ASAP. 

Anyways, While the XFW Gunmetal looks different than expected, I like the color and I really like the headphones.

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #549 of 1,160

Thanks for your support, I couldn't do it without the community.  I read every post and take every message to heart while developing the products. I wish I could post more but my Italian keyboard makes too many errors and I guess I should just let go and make errors (Also, I've been busy launching some very new special projects, especially our in-ears!)...

Wondering if you would ever make custom metal parts where the metal bar that holds the headphones meets the headband?  I don't know if there is logistics behind the reasoning for the plastic pieces used but I personally think it would be nice as an option, even if I had to pay a little more.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #550 of 1,160

Yes, it is okay... they should charge fairly quick in 30 mins.

In fact, our headphones are very resilient to water as they are also built to be DJ/running headphones, I wear mine all the time in the rain. However, we do not advertise they are water proof and we do recommend to take care of them in rainy/snow environments.  However, we do have the immortal life program, so if you want to snowboard/work out/etc. go ahead.  If they eventually go out, we'll replace them half price for life!

Many DJs, gym-rats and runners have used the same pair of V-MODAs for years...

Si... not heavy rain but a little light rain shouldn't hurt, and if it does I'd like to see and analyze the unit...

I would highly advice to put all wet equipment (if planning to use in heavy rain/water) in rice for a few days to hopefully have it working normally, just an idea though. :wink:

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #551 of 1,160

APTX-LL is 40-50ms, not acceptable for live/production but okay for TV... We will continue to research this and our CSR chips are Flash upgradable to a certain extent so we can add features later if CSR supports it....

FOR 0-latency, XFW supports pure analog wired mode and should be used for XBOX ONE, PS4 and music/DJ production.

The most important yet not talked about codec I am telling you is AAC+, which is what Apple supports and most streaming services... We could debate for years on which codec is best in the 320kbps pipe BT offers, but for most users NOT re-encoding the source or coloring it with DSP/artificial EQ will be the best sound.  

I am always talking to CSR and will ensure we have the best BT in the planet, while keeping the analog sounding virtually the same!

Hey Val. Thanks for taking the time to answer my somewhat harsh questions. I agree 40-50ms is not acceptable for time critical work, so why not switch the focus and attention to the Live codec, which sounds much more interesting: 

The aptX Live audio codec can deliver a single channel of 24bit, 48kHz audio in 120kbps with a codec latency of less than 1.9ms. The framework of aptX Live ensures a high resilience to random bit errors. Additional techniques employed within aptX Live will also reduce the significance of these errors and the magnitude of the effect of certain signals. The aptX Live decoder has a signal input from the RF link which can aid the management of bit errors or problems with the link.

Suitable for applications including:

1. Digital wireless microphones
  2. In-ear Monitoring
  3. Conference Wireless Microphones
  4. Intercom / 2-way push to talk
  5. Talkback applications
  6. Audio for Video Broadcast contribution
  7. Multi-player online gaming
      The aptX Live audio codec is also ideal for the delivery of multi-channel audio - from mono to surround sound - in real-time over IP networks.  Leveraging professional expertise gained in the pro-audio and broadcast industries aptX Live audio compression technology can be utilised to realise low-latency distribution of high quality audio for online multi-player gaming. For the ultimate immersive audio experience in online gaming the delay between users needs to be reduced. aptX Live has the lowest delay of any professional audio codec available and so can ensure seamless audio-video synchronisation.
  8. Outstanding audio quality
  9. Extremely low audio coding delay
  10. Strong resilience and robust to bit errors
  11. Optimised implementation for low power DSP

1. Compression ratio: Scalable up to 8:1 (16-bit) or 12:1 (24-bit)
  2. Audio format: 16-bit or 24-bit
  3. Supports 24-bit word resolution, 48kHz Fs/
  4. Data rates: 120kbps (16bit,48kHz,6:4:1 compression) is optimal setting
  5. Frequency response: 10Hz to 24kHz
  6. Delay: <1.89ms @ Fs 48KHz
  7. Dynamic range: 16-bit: >92dB, 24-bit: >120dB
  8. THD+N: -88dB (16-bit), 90dB (24-bit) at 4:1 compression and 48 kHz Fs
  9. Bit error resilience: Up to 1:10,000

I don’t fully get your re-encoding argument, if you’re using the apt-x live codec (on both ends?), there won’t be any re-encoding (right?)…and if the above csr info is correct, you’d be able to achieve a latency that’s both gaming, tv-watching, production and everything else worthy. 

Also, could you please shed some light on what the actual latency is for the XFW with say a macbook pro using the AAC+ codec ? I’m just curious to know since you mention AAC+ as being the holy grail, but I don’t get how that relates to latency, unless I’m missing something…so whatever way your cans are receiving the audio, what type of latency can we expect?

Lastly, I just wanna say I really appreciate you actually caring about all this, I’m sure your customer satisfaction must be through the roof :) I’d refrain from using terms such as “zero latency” when cabled, cause that technically is not true. It’s like if Evian was saying “our bottled water is 100% pure”.. Cables also introduce latency :wink: But I digress, you gotta sell your products and make it sound nice and appealing, even if it’s not always the complete truth :)

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #552 of 1,160

Lastly, I just wanna say I really appreciate you actually caring about all this, I’m sure your customer satisfaction must be through the roof :) I’d refrain from using terms such as “zero latency” when cabled, cause that technically is not true. It’s like if Evian was saying “our bottled water is 100% pure”.. Cables also introduce latency :wink: But I digress, you gotta sell your products and make it sound nice and appealing, even if it’s not always the complete truth :)

Interesting... what is the latency of using analog cables?

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #553 of 1,160

Interesting... what is the latency of using analog cables?

There is still a digital to analog conversion/encoding going on when using the headphones cabled, thus it is still not “zero latency”. The latency would obviously depend on how your entire signal path, and the actual cable of a headphone doesn’t introduce any humanly noticeable latency. There can be a benefit from going straight digital to digital via for instance 2.4GhZ wifi, as I mentioned in a previous post. Cause you avoid doing the conversion of the original file, which nowadays are more and more in the digital realm anyway.

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #554 of 1,160

There is still a digital to analog conversion/encoding going on when using the headphones cabled, thus it is still not “zero latency”. The latency would obviously depend on how your entire signal path, and the actual cable of a headphone doesn’t introduce any humanly noticeable latency. There can be a benefit from going straight digital to digital via for instance 2.4GhZ wifi, as I mentioned in a previous post. Cause you avoid doing the conversion of the original file, which nowadays are more and more in the digital realm anyway.

In my understanding, there is no human perceptible latency using analog cabling.  All things relative.

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #555 of 1,160
  In my understanding, there is no human perceptible latency using analog cabling.  All things relative.

Right. But if people think they can just plug their analog cable into anything, and experience “no human perceptible latency” or “zero latency”, they might be in for a surprise. That’s why I’d still like to know what sort of latencies we can expect from the crossfades in wireless mode. Cause talking about latency when cabled is kinda just like trying to steer the conversation away from the topic. So far, my question has not been answered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back