V-Moda Crossfade M-80?
Aug 17, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #16 of 51
Well I received my M-80s today and overall the package is nice, it's just overpriced for the sound they produce.  I remember the first time I listened to the M50s and the Senn HD25s and I was blown away compared to all of the IEMs I've tried.  However, this time I was underwhelmed.

To start, the packaging is fantastic.  A quality packaging job and an outstanding exoskeleton case that houses the headphones, the two included cables (they didn't send the extra cable or the 1/4 adapter like valkolton said) and the connector hook.  Probably the best case I've ever seen for headphones...very impressive.

The build quality is also outstanding.  You can tell these things were designed very well and they will stand up to years of abuse.  They also look really good on...which is a plus for sure.

As for the sound...just ehhhh.  I'm using a Cowon J3 right now and the IEM I use right now is the GR07 and there are quite a few similarities overall (pretty well balanced) but for the most part, they aren't worth the price of admission ($200-230).  For some reason, I can't get a good seal on the headphone which ultimately doesn't seal it tight enough to my ears, resulting in a thinner sound than I like.  If I push the headphones against my ears, I get the sound I expect...a lot fuller with more detail.  Sure, that means that obviously these things are capable of producing some nice sound...so I'm going to give them a few days to see if breaking in the pads gives me a better seal more often.  At this point, when I have them on and am listening to them, i find myself wanting to reach for my GR07s.

Ultimately, even with a great seal, I'd say these are worth about 150 bucks, tops.  The sound just doesn't blow me away like it does in the GR07s (even with a good seal on the M-80s).  They are good, no doubt, it's just that maybe my ears aren't meant for them.  I'll keep em a few more days, but eventually I think I'll end up returning them.  I'll probably work up a proper review in the next few days (maybe this weekend)...and maybe someone at VModa can convince me to keep them.  :)  I'm just disappointed that I didn't get the cable/adapter that were promised.  Kind of weird really.

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #17 of 51

Quote:
 I'm just disappointed that I didn't get the cable/adapter that were promised.  Kind of weird really.

They'll ship the audio + 1/4" seperately, you caught it on the day we implemented it.

It sounds like a seal as you mentioned isn't quite perfect yet and as we say "The Fit is the Sound".  They were tuned to have a  "full" sound in comparison to some of the others you've tried.  In fact, today I listened to an open-back headphone and I felt dizzy from the thinner sound.   It must have been 4+ years since I've listened to one!  

Give it a few days like sneakers to see if cushions give in some, they will at least some.  Hopefully that creates a better seal for your exact ergonomics.   I'll share some more info on headphone fit soon...

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #18 of 51

Just to follow up after listening for a few more hours...I may have jumped the gun on these things.  I'm becoming a bit more impressed as I listen.  Valkolton asked me to compare them to the Solo HDs and the Senn HD25s of which I've had both.  So here's what I replied:

------------

I've never tried the P5s, but I have owned both the Solo HDs and Senn HD25s.  

I think my main issue with the m80 is that it doesn't clamp tight enough.  As I said, I have a fairly big head (the arms are almost fully extended, maybe one or two clicks up) so it's not like that is the issue.  I agree, the HD25s definitely clamped too tightly for long listening sessions.  I used the Valour pads instead of the pleather ones for comfort and that helped a bit.  The seal was outstanding with either because of the tighter clamping on my head.  The main reason I sold the HD25s was in fact the highs.  They were a bit too bright for my tastes and I could control that a bit with the awesome J3 EQ, but if I was going to use a bigger headphone (compared to an IEM) it needed to have a microphone so I could use it when I am gaming and its almost impossible to get one on the HD25. 

Which brings me to the Solo HDs w/ the control talk.  They were just okay.  They fit pretty well and they provided a really nice seal as the ear pads were quite a bit smaller than the HD25s (and now the M80s).  The bass definitely muddies up the rest of the spectrum and they were really cheaply made.  REALLY cheap.  In fact, after three days I already had one of the pins fall out of one of the hinges which basically made me return them regardless of the sound.  I wasn't about to risk that.  Which is why I was so stoked about the m80s...they are built like a tank (kinda like the HD25s).  These things would definitely last...no doubt about that.  And again, to just reiterate...I absolutely love the look and the carrying case...so definitely kudos to vmoda for that.

As I sit here listening to the new JayZ/Kanye album on the M80s I think they are breaking in a little bit.  I seem to get a better seal after having them warm up to my ears (maybe the leather softens up when they are heated by my ears, lol)...so maybe that's the kicker here.  I may have just been too busy A & B ing them with my GR07s and Soundmagic e30s (just received these too) to give them time enough to warm up.  Now, going on an hour straight, I am warming to them more and more.  So we'll see.  Still have to decide if I want the on-ear design compared to an IEM.

Like I said before...I listen to a wide range of music and I've tried a ton of different headphones and IEMs so I feel I can compare them pretty well without being a pro audiophile like a lot of guys around here.

--------------------------

I don't want to be that guy who jumps the gun...so I'm giving them a legit shot and I'm glad I didn't just pack them up right away and return them.  These things are starting to impress me.  :)  Woops.

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #19 of 51
Yeah...I was wrong with my initial impressions.  The ear pads are clearly the issue...they simply need to warm up to your ears.  After they do that, they kind of contour on your ear like they should.  This took a good day of on and off listening.  I'm not sure what type of material they are using, but I feel it might make some users jump to the same conclusion that I did.  These things are REALLY good and I have loved my five days with them so far.  Val @ V-Moda has had a running dialog with me about them and he's definitely listening to everything the end user has to say.  Gotta respect that about any company.

These actually sound quite a bit like my beloved VSonic GR07s from an overall sound standpoint.  Obviously the spaciousness of a headphone is going to be greater than that of an IEM so there's that to take into consideration, but from a tonal balance standpoint, they are quite similar to my ears. I'll end up doing a review here in the next week or two after I've completely figured them out, but it's definitely on the positive side.  

I still feel like this segment of the market is overpriced however.  I realize they are trying to market to the Beats Solo HD crowd so I see why they put them at that price, but I think if they did $179 instead of $229 the'd be on to something.  It will still be look at as a premium product yet it'll still be $50 cheaper than the comparable Solo HD headphone.  I think they would make a killing that way, but I'm not a marketing major.  :)

Hopefully some others decide to pick up a pair of the M80s because they really are a fantastic on-ear headphone that can compete with the likes of the HD25 and eclipsing the sound of the Solo HD (which isn't all that tough really).

Aug 22, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #20 of 51

Quote:
Yeah...I was wrong with my initial impressions.  The ear pads are clearly the issue...they simply need to warm up to your ears.  After they do that, they kind of contour on your ear like they should.  This took a good day of on and off listening.  I'm not sure what type of material they are using, but I feel it might make some users jump to the same conclusion that I did.  These things are REALLY good and I have loved my five days with them so far.  Val @ V-Moda has had a running dialog with me about them and he's definitely listening to everything the end user has to say.  Gotta respect that about any company.

These actually sound quite a bit like my beloved VSonic GR07s from an overall sound standpoint.  Obviously the spaciousness of a headphone is going to be greater than that of an IEM so there's that to take into consideration, but from a tonal balance standpoint, they are quite similar to my ears. I'll end up doing a review here in the next week or two after I've completely figured them out, but it's definitely on the positive side.  

I still feel like this segment of the market is overpriced however.  I realize they are trying to market to the Beats Solo HD crowd so I see why they put them at that price, but I think if they did $179 instead of $229 the'd be on to something.  It will still be look at as a premium product yet it'll still be $50 cheaper than the comparable Solo HD headphone.  I think they would make a killing that way, but I'm not a marketing major.  :)

Hopefully some others decide to pick up a pair of the M80s because they really are a fantastic on-ear headphone that can compete with the likes of the HD25 and eclipsing the sound of the Solo HD (which isn't all that tough really).

Nice impressions so far, I'll be looking forward to your review :) How is the soundstage and imaging to your ears?

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #22 of 51
Quote:
follow up ontheear phones? i just ordered mine for 179 from radio shack online with a coupon.. so anxious to recieve them...... Cant wait..

They are quite good...you'll be happy with them.  I'm waiting for my pair of LPs so that I can do a proper comparison.  From the ones I've heard previously though, the M80s are definitely more balanced and articulate.

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #23 of 51
I ordered denon ah-d2000 and a pair of m-80s.
ihave been using sennheiser hd212 and skull candy crushers...forlike 3 years... i dontknow what good sound is... really dont. so im stoked. lol do these need to be amped? will be using with zune HD, touchpad and laptop..

and i really appreciate the reply =) the bass noticeable in these? i listen to rap/hip hop/light rock

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 51

Quote:
I ordered denon ah-d2000 and a pair of m-80s.
ihave been using sennheiser hd212 and skull candy crushers...forlike 3 years... i dontknow what good sound is... really dont. so im stoked. lol do these need to be amped? will be using with zune HD, touchpad and laptop..

and i really appreciate the reply =) the bass noticeable in these? i listen to rap/hip hop/light rock

Yes, the bass is noticeable.  No doubt about it...they are slightly bass heavy compared to a lot of analytical headphones like the HD25...so if you listen to rap/hip hop, you'll be pretty happy.  I've been listening to mine all night on my Cowon J3 with the bass bumped up a bit and it's almost too much sometimes.  So yeah...I'd say they satisfy for sure.  They aren't anything like the Lps from what I can tell...a lot more balanced and clear.  

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #25 of 51
Thanks for the impressions. I'm definitely intrigued. The build quality looks top notch

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #26 of 51
I listen to mine on a daily basis ever since I got them . These headphones kick ass. All the sound tech and tweeking they did. You can clearly tell. The attention to design is clearly evident from top to bottom. I don't find not a single aspect lacking on my V-80s...I payed the full $230 for mine and they sound tremendous.. Perhaps the best portable headphone I own... The truly shocking aspect of these phones is how thy sound like a full sized headphone.. I see the prices of these have gone down to $200.. Worth the investment imo..It is because of these headphones I look forward to more headphones from V-moda.. You can clearly tell these are serious headphones.  No joke involved on any of it. These phones on a little mp3 is all you need for musical rapture.

Sep 10, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #27 of 51

Quote:
I listen to mine on a daily basis ever since I got them . These headphones kick ass. All the sound tech and tweeking they did. You can clearly tell. The attention to design is clearly evident from top to bottom. I don't find not a single aspect lacking on my V-80s...I payed the full $230 for mine and they sound tremendous.. Perhaps the best portable headphone I own... The truly shocking aspect of these phones is how thy sound like a full sized headphone.. I see the prices of these have gone down to $200.. Worth the investment imo..It is because of these headphones I look forward to more headphones from V-moda.. You can clearly tell these are serious headphones.  No joke involved on any of it. These phones on a little mp3 is all you need for musical rapture.

Hey, i was wondering. Do the headband of the M-80s, or in your case the V-80's absorb sweat? Because the headband kinda looks like its made from the type of material they use for crumpler messenger bag straps. Which absorb sweat REALLY WELL and start to smell foul. Thanks!

Sep 10, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #28 of 51
Hmm the band is covered by leather and on the bottom part the part that is in contact with the head is a mesh type cloth with padding in the insides. The band is about inch thick. fairly small like the headphones. I don't know if they absorb sweat and make the headphones smell funky but I suppose that could be a possibility. .I don't know about you but I wouldn't work out with any headphone that is near $200. .That is just me I suppose. My Koss $10 earphones get that duty.

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #29 of 51

Quote:
Hmm the band is covered by leather and on the bottom part the part that is in contact with the head is a mesh type cloth with padding in the insides. The band is about inch thick. fairly small like the headphones. I don't know if they absorb sweat and make the headphones smell funky but I suppose that could be a possibility. .I don't know about you but I wouldn't work out with any headphone that is near $200. .That is just me I suppose. My Koss $10 earphones get that duty.

HELL NO! That's almost the same as working out in your Armani suit or something! Haha. I was just wondering. Do yours still smell fresh out of the box after using them for almost everyday? Butyou never know when there will be that super-heated day where you make the wrong move and choose to wear them while walking or waiting for the bus under the baking hot sun and sweat starts to come out from the pores on your scalp and go into the mesh and before you know it, your $200 cans smell foul. Or there could be that instance where it suddenly rains out of nowhere and your M-80's get a little drenched and you did not wait for them to dry before storing them in the carrying case and when you take it out it'll smell foul and funky due to the mesh type cloth thingy or the leather. By the way, sorry to digress, but what's pleather?

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #30 of 51
Aha ya.. I can understand what you are saying now.. Well the great thing about these is they are supraural and have less of a footprint on the head than your full sized cans. I can see a scenario where if you were outside on a hot day if these will absorb some sweat. But less these than most I figure.. They still smell new to me but I only use them at my shop where I work.. I like vmodas life time 50% replacement warranty. . SO if they do end up being funky from using it much you can always get a replacement for half price... I like a company that offers a fair warranty.

plastic leather= pleather it is more fabric polyurethane than real leather actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back