V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Jan 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,267 of 2,828
Quote:
anyone?  pretty sure this isn't normal, or it may just be because it was strained over my freakishly gigantic head.

guess i'll just have to eat the price of damaging it and live with it as-is....

No noticeable indent on either side of mine, but that may be thanks to my freakishly small head, as have the arms almost all the way in. Might be worth giving a V-Moda a shout, given the pride they take in build quality.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,269 of 2,828
Recently ordered these from Amazon. Curious, is the lack of treble sparkle a major disadvantage of these, do you think? Also, does it improve much during the burn in process?

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #2,271 of 2,828
cool another thing i learned is the headband discolors really effing easily.  there was a dark stain on it (don't know HOW it got there) and first i used some warm water to try to clean it and it seemed to discolor the headband a little but i thought it was just the stain being spread over the fabric.  so i use some mild detergent at home to try to clean it and it made it even worse.  yay 150 down the drain.  i really have a penchant for destroying expensive toys.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #2,272 of 2,828
Yeah, I think its a really bad material to be used on headphones. Don't worry at least you can still wear them. I bought a $250 phone second hand. A month later it was banned because the lady decided to scam me and not pay her bills.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2,273 of 2,828
Recently coupled these phones with the HM-601 (using its headphone out) and I must say they pair beautifully. I prefer these to the DT1350s which 'unsealed,'  could sound thin and congested.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #2,274 of 2,828
Quote:
Recently ordered these from Amazon. Curious, is the lack of treble sparkle a major disadvantage of these, do you think? Also, does it improve much during the burn in process?

The lack of treble, detail and sparkle is my biggest issue with these. Burn in doesn't help 

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #2,275 of 2,828
These headphones are not for detail freaks, but lacking treble and sparkle?  So I must have had a "golden sample" with copious treble and sparkle?  Or robm321 and dissembled are quite unlucky.

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #2,276 of 2,828
I don't find mine seriously lacking either, I mean, I'm not gonna get them mixed up with my Beyers but I've had headphones with much more treble rolloff. The M-80 are pretty much perfect as far as my personal portable needs, if they collapsed like the M-100 they'd be it for me.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #2,277 of 2,828
Quote:

The lack of treble, detail and sparkle is my biggest issue with these. Burn in doesn't help 

I tried them out today, I felt the same way.  They could do a little bit more sparkle and also a little bit more dept in sound stage, but I was surprise by how well their low performance is for such a small little thing. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #2,278 of 2,828
The M-80 are pretty much perfect as far as my personal portable needs, if they collapsed like the M-100 they'd be it for me.

The lack of a compact folding design is exactly why I haven't purchased the M-80. For portable phones, a smaller travel size is always preferred. Maybe the M-80 Mark II (or whatever) will be that way.

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2,279 of 2,828
Yeah, I thought about that a good bit before getting them... My second choice wasn't really any more portable tho (Senn HD25-1 II, not unless you slide the cups off constantly which might wear them out), and the M-80 added a different sound sig to my collection.

Moreover tho, the M-80 cups are really compact, if you haven't seen them in person you'd be surprised how small they are... They're small enough that the entire thing takes up less space than many headphones which just fold flat but don't collapse, plus they're durable enough I cash toss them in the laptop side of my bag without the case and not worry about them (despite the very nice case they come with).

That being said, I'll totally sell mine to upgrade if they ever come out with a collapsible version that folds up like the M-100... M-85 maybe? :p

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #2,280 of 2,828
Has anyone attempted mods to the M-80 to compensate for the treble roll off? Maybe something along the lines of the Markl mods for Denon's phones, or some other tweaks to the guts of the cans.

It seems odd to me that most of the popular on-ear phones have noticeable treble roll off. You'd think that treble would be easy to get right with relatively small drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back