V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Sep 12, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #1,981 of 2,828
Quote:
I still prefer the PortaPros

Damn...that was my favorite portable headphone back in the 80's...(yeah im old)
bigsmile_face.gif

If only Koss had updated the design to something a bit more modern I wouldn't think twice to buy them again. Ultra light and great sound/bass for the price.

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #1,982 of 2,828
Quote:
Hello everybody:

I have read though out most of this thread and I am definitely planning to buy the M-80's by the end of this month. Really love the original design. And judging by all the praise from folks here and other known sources like InnerFidelity and reviews from many other websites, the build and sound quality seems to be top notch for the price.

I really like the white pearl version a bit better over black, but (at this moment) the extra $50 has me on the fence. As far as I know, the only difference between the black and white pearl M-80's is that the white ones have the new speakeasy cables. So I have a couple of questions:

*Is there any other improvements or changes to the white unit besides the cables? pads/headphone design
*Do the speakeasy cables perform better (for music listening) than the regular cables? static issues with clothing
*Anybody can comment on these when used for the gym? using dumbbells, treadmill

Are there any special offers, codes or coupons out there at this moment? :)

Thanks in advance for your comments.

So are there any differences, besides cable, between the black and white pearl M-80s?

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #1,984 of 2,828
Quote:
Nope, though they are all guaranteed to come with the newer speakeasy cable whereas some of the older stock of the shadow model will not.

^this^.

Anyways haven't received mine yet but they're arriving today. Thinking about let them burn in for 24 hours.

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #1,986 of 2,828
Sorry for the late response.

I tested the headphone on a laptop, worked fine with the 3 connector jack.

So I take there is a problem with my S2 jack. I noticed that it sounds fine if I push the jack further, but obviously I can't constantly keep on holding the jack. I checked both the stock buds and the M80s jacks, and I don't see a notable difference in length.

Gonna try other devices, but it's probably a damaged port. Thanks for the help everybody.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #1,987 of 2,828
Quote:

So I take there is a problem with my S2 jack. I noticed that it sounds fine if I push the jack further, but obviously I can't constantly keep on holding the jack. I checked both the stock buds and the M80s jacks, and I don't see a notable difference in length.

Gonna try other devices, but it's probably a damaged port. Thanks for the help everybody.

is this with both cables? the 3 button is for sure not going to work as the ground and mic are switched in the TRRS config (read my post at the top of the page http://www.head-fi.org/t/578207/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-reviews/1980#post_8691414 )

if the 1 button doesnt it work its probably is the phone

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #1,988 of 2,828
Quote:
is this with both cables? the 3 button is for sure not going to work as the ground and mic are switched in the TRRS config (read my post at the top of the page http://www.head-fi.org/t/578207/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-reviews/1980#post_8691414 )

if the 1 button doesnt it work its probably is the phone

Yup, it's with both.

Since it works fine if I force the jack further, maybe it's that the 3 connectors are not ..  uh, connecting correctly with the plug.

Maybe if I try with a female/male 3.5mm cable with a 3 connectors jack? Just curious by now.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #1,989 of 2,828
At this very moment I am using my white m-80's for the first time while working out in my home gym. VERY satisfied with my purchase. Running them out of a budget android phone (Samsung Admire) via PlayerPro with DSP Pack.

I was a Club DJ for 15+ years then became more of a turntablist/beatmaker so I'm used to constant loud and bass heavy music. All I can say is that these headphones deliver for sure, not to mention the build quality and styling.

Until I buy an Ipod or another better quality phone/music player I will probably couple this with an Fiio E6 to have a little more volume and all around "pump" do to my crappy source.

Another thing is that I have very small ears, so at least in my case these cans are almost like "over-ear" headphones.
wink_face.gif

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #1,990 of 2,828
Quote:

Do you know anyone else with an S2?  There's always the chance it's just the model...

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #1,993 of 2,828
Fiio E6 on the way. This will be my first (portable) headphone amp. I have a 4-port in my home studio. 
L3000.gif

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #1,994 of 2,828
Hi all, I just bought a pair of M-80's (eBay) today and am very excited.  I have searched through this forum and have a few questions before they arrive:

1.  How can you distinguish the Speakeasy cable from the previous version?
2.  I have a pretty big melon and sensitive ears.  Is there a proper technique for stretching the headband without doing any damage?

Thank you in advance and if you see the UPS man, ask him to hurry with my new headphones!

Ben

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #1,995 of 2,828
Quote:
Hi all, I just bought a pair of M-80's (eBay) today and am very excited.  I have searched through this forum and have a few questions before they arrive:

1.  How can you distinguish the Speakeasy cable from the previous version?
2.  I have a pretty big melon and sensitive ears.  Is there a proper technique for stretching the headband without doing any damage?

Thank you in advance and if you see the UPS man, ask him to hurry with my new headphones!

Ben

The Speakeasy cable has the microphone and the remote on separate parts of the cable, the mic is further up and the remote is further down.  There isn't really a proper technique for stretching it, really - just wear it for awhile and see how it goes, and if it's still uncomfortable after a few days you can just try bending the headband outwards a bit.  Chances are you won't damage it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back