V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Jul 30, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #1,876 of 2,828
Quote:

FREEDOM
Because I can go "OCD" without being a profit-driven conglomerates or public company, I have the creative freedom to create products with a unique motive - the art of sound.   What keeps us going at V-MODA is building the M-series, including M-80, M-100, Milano, Revolver and Ear Armor.  If we don't build these flagship products that have a high probability of losing money, nobody else would! 

this is quite an old post but let me get this straight
the m-100 are their upcoming headphones, revolver is the vamp, ear armor are the faders...
so the milano and revolver are their upcoming headphones in the future- supposedly better than the m-100?

i am trying to resist the urge to get the m-100 and get whatever the next ones are...

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #1,877 of 2,828
If you keep waiting for the next best thing, you'll never get anything at all.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #1,878 of 2,828
Quote:
If you keep waiting for the next best thing, you'll never get anything at all.

This. There are times where I think it is worth it to wait for the next best thing-if it absolutely fits your needs/desires way more than anything else currently on the market. 

It will be at least a year and a half after the M-100s are released that V-Moda's next headphones will be released. At least that long, could be even way longer than that. At the very least just get the M-100s, and if you still own them by the time the next V-Moda's are released just sell your M-100s towards the new ones.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #1,880 of 2,828
think i'll have fun with these, should be coming tomorrow.

so everytime i search gr07 vs m-80 people are saying the m-80 sounds very similar, but i hear a lot about the relaxed treble on m-80.  so i guess this is just an exaggeration?  FWIR about the rest of the m-80s frequency range it sounds like it will be pretty similar, however.

i'll approach these w/ an open mind.  guess i was a victim of the hype monster and i really did like the gr07's sound when i was able to get them fitted properly.  just seemed too flimsy for the $180 they cost me, and i was pretty sure the right driver was having problems when i returned them.

i'll probably pick them up later in the year anyway, i want something w/ good isolation to complement the ms-1 and now the m-80.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #1,881 of 2,828
The GR07 really isn't as flimsy as it seems, only one or two people have ever had real problems with them breaking from what I recall and they've been around for over a year now.  I guess it remains to be seen how much longer they're going to last.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #1,882 of 2,828
Quote:
think i'll have fun with these, should be coming tomorrow.

so everytime i search gr07 vs m-80 people are saying the m-80 sounds very similar, but i hear a lot about the relaxed treble on m-80.  so i guess this is just an exaggeration?  FWIR about the rest of the m-80s frequency range it sounds like it will be pretty similar, however.

i'll approach these w/ an open mind.  guess i was a victim of the hype monster and i really did like the gr07's sound when i was able to get them fitted properly.  just seemed too flimsy for the $180 they cost me, and i was pretty sure the right driver was having problems when i returned them.

i'll probably pick them up later in the year anyway, i want something w/ good isolation to complement the ms-1 and now the m-80.

mmm...i think u mite be in for a surprise then. I dont think they sound similar at all o.o

and i cant imagine anyone really having a problem with the build of the GR07s either haha. and most people dont =)

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #1,883 of 2,828
just got these, wonder why headphone manufacturers hate people with big heads so effing much

these can BARELY fit me and I kinda had to force them down on my head, fully extended.  feels like they'll pop off or become misaligned at the slightest movement.

would it kill some manufacturers to add at least another notch or two of adjustment?

once i've got them on they're pretty impressive if boomy and not really my preferred signature.  i'll give them a shot but just for practical usability alone they may have go to.

maybe if i wear them long enough they'll conform to my (obviously) horrible freak head

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #1,884 of 2,828
What part of it makes it not fit your head?  Does it just not extend long enough or is it too tight on your head?  You could try stretching the headband a bit and see if that helps.  I honestly thought my head was rather large - most helmets and hats don't even fit me properly at all.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,885 of 2,828
i'll try to stretch it.  it doesn't extend far enough; could be the distance between the top of my head and ears.  if i set it on my head fully extended (as if i were normally putting on a pair of headphones) it just covers the top part of my earlobes.  i have to actively push it down to get both cups to cover my ears.  it's nowhere near as bad as when i tried the akg q460 (that damn thing was made for midgets), but it's still not a natural fit.

once i get it on i suppose it's not horribly uncomfortable but i don't think i should have to mangle it like that to get it to fit.

edit: it also seems to stay on fine once i have it pushed down, so to speak.  shaking my head and they feel a bit loose but they don't pop off.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #1,886 of 2,828
I have to agree that the gr07's sound pretty similar to the m-80's

as far as an in ear monitor can sound like an on ear headphone.

The impact of the mid bass is much better on the M-80, yet the bass on the gr07's seem to go just a notch lower with a little bit better control.

The mids on the gr07s are brighter and more pronounced then the m80's but a bump in 8k on the eq and the m80's sound good.

My only gripe on the m80's is the recessed mids.

But for a sub $200 portable, they kick flucking a55.

my 40min bus ride each morning is over in what seems like minutes when im thumping Ronald Jenkee's beats.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #1,887 of 2,828
already see a bit of fraying on the cable going from right earcup to headband, are they supposed to fray this easily?

also boominess remains.  got them through amazon warehouse (like new condition) and wondering if there's the tiny possibility of a fake (the only thing i really notice is the stitching on the O in V-MODA is off on the hard case, ribbing/snakeskin texture on case and everything else seems to look ok though.  and these sound good, but the boominess may be a bit excessive.  probably just the signature)

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #1,888 of 2,828
Quote:
already see a bit of fraying on the cable going from right earcup to headband, are they supposed to fray this easily?

also boominess remains.  got them through amazon warehouse (like new condition) and wondering if there's the tiny possibility of a fake (the only thing i really notice is the stitching on the O in V-MODA is off on the hard case, ribbing/snakeskin texture on case and everything else seems to look ok though.  and these sound good, but the boominess may be a bit excessive.  probably just the signature)

I actually wouldn't classify these as being boomy at all...that's the last word I'd use to describe the signature, myself.  I've had mine for months and I haven't seen any signs of fraying on the cables coming out of the earcups - although the detachable cable seems to fray pretty easily all along it.

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #1,889 of 2,828
Quote:
I actually wouldn't classify these as being boomy at all...that's the last word I'd use to describe the signature, myself.  I've had mine for months and I haven't seen any signs of fraying on the cables coming out of the earcups - although the detachable cable seems to fray pretty easily all along it.

+1...  I'd say they were smooth if anything.  

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,890 of 2,828
Quote:

My only gripe on the m80's is the recessed mids.

Can anybody else confirm? This is the first time I've heard this.

From what I know of the M80, and my experience with the GR07, I'm not sure how they would sound similar. The GR07 are very balanced, with a slight treble peak, while the M80 are known to be a bit treble recessed. I suppose their mid to low ends may be a bit similar, but that is not accounting for the midbass hump of the M80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back