V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Jun 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #1,727 of 2,828
Just got my m80 today.

Well, I'm very impressed with it. Very good sounding headphone, and it's quite comfortable too. :D I'm looking forward to showing it to my friends. ^_^ Thanks for recommending it to me guys. :D

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #1,729 of 2,828
Sorru but does the v-moda crossfade lp benefit from a fiio e11? The source will be an iPhone 4.

To be honest, not much. The LP has a very specific LivePlay tuning that accentuates lively bass and highs (not neccesarily balanced, more like a smiley face, "fun" EQ curve). The slightly warm character of the lower-end FiiO amp sections would probably cause more bloat than anything else...sorry.

Kojaku

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #1,730 of 2,828
Where can I find the best deal on these right now, anyone know?

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #1,731 of 2,828
Amazon had a pair of "used", returned pair of m80's for $133.00

I snapped them up, will be getting them on the 5th of july.

Hopefully the reseller is up and up, when they said they were in perfect condition.

fingers crossed, but for $139 shipped and no taxes, i could not pass it up.

Was going to bite the $300 bullet and get the Beyer dt1350's, but a deal is a deal.

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #1,732 of 2,828
Any word on the successor to these (M100??) coming out?

I ordered these new from Amazon today, will have them tomorrow, gotta love Amazon Prime!  I'm excited to hear these, but am curious what's around the corner.  I figured now that I've ordered these a better version will be released tomorrow...

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #1,733 of 2,828
The M-100 isn't a successor; it's a larger version of the M-80, with a bigger driver and circumaural vs. supra-aural.  It's supposedly coming out in pretty short order, but I don't think I saw an official release date in the thread yet.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #1,734 of 2,828
M-100 is around the corner, yet we still use M-80 50/50. They are very different.

$200 M-80: small and sophisticated, amazing sound
$300 M-100 our current flagship that we feel is a BARGAIN at only $299 as it competes with the TOL audiophile brands yet adds fashionable elements

So, in my eyes I still use M-80 more in fact and in white to be "fashion forward".

For critical listening and "I Want to cry hearing the crystal clear sound", nothing in in the world comes close to M-100 and VAMP.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #1,736 of 2,828
Quote:
M-100 is around the corner, yet we still use M-80 50/50. They are very different.
$200 M-80: small and sophisticated, amazing sound
$300 M-100 our current flagship that we feel is a BARGAIN at only $299 as it competes with the TOL audiophile brands yet adds fashionable elements
So, in my eyes I still use M-80 more in fact and in white to be "fashion forward".
For critical listening and "I Want to cry hearing the crystal clear sound", nothing in in the world comes close to M-100 and VAMP.

Will the soundstage be modestly or quite different? 

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,737 of 2,828
I finally got to listen to these today at Guitar Center.

Val, you almost had me sold.

No point in going into great detail since it's been covered 100 times, but in short:

Bass and Mids were fantastic.  The bass was more prominent than I'm used to, but it was done well.  The treble, for me, just needed a little more bite.  It was all there, but just...polite, as others have said.  It worked well for some songs, but left me a little disappointed when there was some nasty crunching guitar, or even on acoustic guitar recordings where the sound just wasn't quite bright enough.  Regardless, the overall sound was solid, and it certainly wasn't the reason I opted against them.

In the end I just couldn't get used to the shape of the pads and the lack of isolation.  Even when I thought I had found the right seal, things just didn't feel quite right.  The pain in my ears set in pretty quickly and with all the noise I was hearing I just can't see myself using these on an airplane or crowded train, bus, etc...

Real shame.  I wanted to get them...I really did.  
redface.gif

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #1,738 of 2,828
Quote:
I finally got to listen to these today at Guitar Center.

Val, you almost had me sold.

No point in going into great detail since it's been covered 100 times, but in short:

Bass and Mids were fantastic.  The bass was more prominent than I'm used to, but it was done well.  The treble, for me, just needed a little more bite.  It was all there, but just...polite, as others have said.  It worked well for some songs, but left me a little disappointed when there was some nasty crunching guitar, or even on acoustic guitar recordings where the sound just wasn't quite bright enough.  Regardless, the overall sound was solid, and it certainly wasn't the reason I opted against them.

In the end I just couldn't get used to the shape of the pads and the lack of isolation.  Even when I thought I had found the right seal, things just didn't feel quite right.  The pain in my ears set in pretty quickly and with all the noise I was hearing I just can't see myself using these on an airplane or crowded train, bus, etc...

Real shame.  I wanted to get them...I really did.  
redface.gif

Their comfort level takes a while to conform to your head. Mine used to KILL my left ear, even if I was only wearing them for 15 min. I've never really heard "bright" headphones, so I can't comment on that. M-100 comes out in August and pretty much addresses all the problems people had with the M-80. Check the M-100 thread to see if the known improvements (so far) are enough for you.

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #1,739 of 2,828
Quote:
Their comfort level takes a while to conform to your head. Mine used to KILL my left ear, even if I was only wearing them for 15 min. I've never really heard "bright" headphones, so I can't comment on that. M-100 comes out in August and pretty much addresses all the problems people had with the M-80. Check the M-100 thread to see if the known improvements (so far) are enough for you.

No interest in over the ear phones right now.  I've got my DT880s for home listening and am pretty much smitten with them.  I really need some dedicated portable cans that I can take on the road and back and forth to work.  

That case for the M80s sure helped add to their allure!

I also auditioned the HD25s today, which I felt were the polar opposite of the m80s in every way.  I'm hoping the DT1350s will be somewhere in between, but there's nowhere in town to listen to them.

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #1,740 of 2,828
Quote:
No interest in over the ear phones right now.  I've got my DT880s for home listening and am pretty much smitten with them.  I really need some dedicated portable cans that I can take on the road and back and forth to work.  

That case for the M80s sure helped add to their allure!

I also auditioned the HD25s today, which I felt were the polar opposite of the m80s in every way.  I'm hoping the DT1350s will be somewhere in between, but there's nowhere in town to listen to them.

Hm well the M-100 isn't actually all THAT bigger than the M-80, and it does fold.  It's still what I'd call portable - not like the bigger Beyerdynamics at all.

I've never tried the DT1350s before though, but I've always wanted to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back