V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Apr 18, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #1,441 of 2,828
Who's coming to the Head-FI Village + V-MODA meet this weekend?  RSVP SPACE IS LIMITED

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604418/the-village-headphone-meet-2012-southern-california-sunday-april-22-2012

I'm going to DJ, beer will be provided. We'll also have White M-80s, M-100 prototype, Faders VIP (new model) and VAMP!  

it won't quite be like this MTV VMA preparty we did, but it'll be good to talk shop and see how we authentically test the products in our V-MODA DJ booth as well as vs my B&W Nautilus system.

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #1,442 of 2,828

Quote:
Who's coming to the Head-FI Village + V-MODA meet this weekend?  RSVP SPACE IS LIMITED

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604418/the-village-headphone-meet-2012-southern-california-sunday-april-22-2012

I'm going to DJ, beer and we'll have White M-80s, M-100 prototype, Faders VIP (new model) and VAMP!  No pics though...

it won't quite be like this MTV VMA preparty we did, but it'll be good to talk shop and see how we authentically test the products in our V-MODA DJ booth as well as vs my B&W Nautilus system.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !!!
WHY AM I SO FAR AWAY !!!! :xf_mad:

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #1,443 of 2,828
The M-80 showed up here yesterday.
I don't know how you get such big sound in those small headphones, but they sound great. The build quality is outstanding and the packaging is top notch.
They didn't play well with the E7, but I think I have a faulty amp. The right channel kept cutting out but it was the fault of the E7 3.5 input. Didn't matter because these headphones sound excellent directly out of an ipod touch 4g.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,444 of 2,828

Quote:
The M-80 showed up here yesterday.
I don't know how you get such big sound in those small headphones, but they sound great. The build quality is outstanding and the packaging is top notch.
They didn't play well with the E7, but I think I have a faulty amp. The right channel kept cutting out but it was the fault of the E7 3.5 input. Didn't matter because these headphones sound excellent directly out of an ipod touch 4g.

try reversing the cable to solve this...  sometimes the amp's ground is all "jacked".  its very tough to make the ground work on all smartphones + amps.

-v 

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #1,445 of 2,828
Thanks Val. I'll give it a shot.

Quote:

try reversing the cable to solve this...  sometimes the amp's ground is all "jacked".  its very tough to make the ground work on all smartphones + amps.

-v 

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,446 of 2,828
Wheeeeee. Have been enjoying the V80 since two weeks. Love them, love them!!! So happy they finally arrived and was able to try them out.

The senn HD 598 was my first decent over ear headphone and I thought they were the best until I got the V- modas. I don't know what exactly causes the great sound (the dual driver maybe?) because otherwise it kind of goes against logic (cause the senns have bigger drivers) but the v-moda's sound clearer to me :s.

I also have the AKG K 701 for at home and yeah, those are more analytic/detailed and are also very dreamworthy still, but the bass on the v-moda kicks their ass any day. And when I compare all three, the senn somehow loses badly, it sounds the loudest/muddiest and bassiest (but in the bad way) of all. Before I had the means to compare, it wasn't that obvious!! I thought the 598 were the cat's ass.

Anyway, the v moda are the ultimate portable solution, even though they are on ear they do get comfy after a while after adjusting to your ears/head a bit, I was surprised (having a not fully healed industrial piercing on the right I was fearing the clamping), but I'm very happy with that, I do feel it, but it's not really a pain in the ass.

In conclusion: the headphones sound great, even better than I expected after reading all the reviews. No tinny cavern sound as I read somewhere but a big! clear moderately bassy sound, and the treble isn't very pronounced but I like that, since modest treble is less fatiguing/head-ache inducing.

As for the looks: I must say the fact that they don't look huge and are very very pretty + true blood edition (oh yes yes) also were reasons to buy. When they arrived somehow the look dissappointed me though, but only a bit, because the pictures built up impossible expectations haha and I think it has something to do with the chord being a bit flimsy (in comparison to big headphones - not to other portables) and the grey black not fitting the red of the v 80 completely. Still, I've gotten over it. They somehow look very steampunk/similar to advanced technological artefacts from the past. They are very beautiful in their own punk way though and fit small heads.
Anyway: aesthetics: subjective and de gustibus .... I do like them a lot, the earcups are ideal, the headband maybe could still improve as far as looks are considered, comfort is ok.

As for the customizing: I would love to, but very impractical since buying/sending from USA to EU mostly gives grief. Customs tends to keep stuff + extra shipping cost. 
Any Belgian ppl here ordered custom shields? I'd love to hear if it went well or not?

Oh, also why doesn't the eternal life warranty include the EU? :frowning2:. So sad.
Anyway. if the M-100 will sound even greater, consider another body turned.
I also hope that the v-modas will hit the European market in retail shops too... will they be available in Europe?? So we can look and try it out maybe instead of having to rely on internet buying? I'd do it either way, but my preference goes to be able to try it out! 

Afterthought: no burning in effect IMO.
Second afterthought: veni vidi vici is total win. Latin <3.

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #1,447 of 2,828
Just got a used pair that was 4-5 months old. First impressions are definitely the most bass heavy headphones I've heard. Using my Galaxy Nexus I have to use the volume pretty high to get my desired sound level but on a laptop I'm just below 50%. I think I'd like them to clamp a just a tad tighter so I'll try adjusting the headband after a day or two to see if maybe just the ear cushions need to adjust to my ears. 

I do already like them better than my roommates ATH-M50's though so that's a good thing. My ears are already getting hot though but I'm sure I'll get used to that (and will take it over having an IEM in) 

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #1,448 of 2,828
Hey Val, did you ever test velour pads on the M80's? I thought about trying to rig some together, just to see what they would sound like, but would like to see if you had an opinion on it first. 

Also, I'm not gonna lie. I've had several headphones, and tried several portables/iems. I'm absolutely loving the M-80's. A taaaaaadddd bass heavy for my liking, but a slight EQ and they are wonderful. Thanks again :)

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #1,449 of 2,828

Quote:
Hey Val, did you ever test velour pads on the M80's? I thought about trying to rig some together, just to see what they would sound like, but would like to see if you had an opinion on it first. 

Also, I'm not gonna lie. I've had several headphones, and tried several portables/iems. I'm absolutely loving the M-80's. A taaaaaadddd bass heavy for my liking, but a slight EQ and they are wonderful. Thanks again :)

If you can do it first, I'd really appreciate it!  We just don't have the bandwidth right now with Faders VIP, VAMP, M-80 White Pearl and M-100 all coming out in such a short time frame.  I'M going to post some M-80 white pics on Facebook soon, stay tuned.  

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,450 of 2,828

Quote:

If you can do it first, I'd really appreciate it!  We just don't have the bandwidth right now with Faders VIP, VAMP, M-80 White Pearl and M-100 all coming out in such a short time frame.  I'M going to post some M-80 white pics on Facebook soon, stay tuned.  

Will do, now to find out how I can replecate the shape 0.o Also, idk how you can sleep with so many projects!
eek.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #1,451 of 2,828

Quote:

I'm all giddy with excitement! Can't wait to nab a pair of the White M80's and finally dive into the fantastic audio world of V-Moda!
Also, I was wondering, is there any chance you can confirm if the White M80's will be releasing before May 10th? I'm leaving for vacation to the Caribbean on the 18th and I was seriously hoping on buying a pair for the trip, thanks!

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #1,452 of 2,828
I have the m80s and love them but havent burned them in I have just been listening to them and storing and worshipping them....How big is the difference after burn in? What changed? What sounds did you use to burn in and how long? Any other tips? thanks in advance!

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #1,453 of 2,828

Quote:
I have the m80s and love them but havent burned them in I have just been listening to them and storing and worshipping them....How big is the difference after burn in? What changed? What sounds did you use to burn in and how long? Any other tips? thanks in advance!

I personally didn't notice a difference on burn in.  I did notice a slight improvement though once the headphones had adjusted to my particular head shape.  And the length of time for me wearing them was just 3 or 4 days of heavy use to get to the perfect fit.

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #1,454 of 2,828

Quote:

I'm all giddy with excitement! Can't wait to nab a pair of the White M80's and finally dive into the fantastic audio world of V-Moda!
Also, I was wondering, is there any chance you can confirm if the White M80's will be releasing before May 10th? I'm leaving for vacation to the Caribbean on the 18th and I was seriously hoping on buying a pair for the trip, thanks!

Yes, in fact I have the, in the office. But not too many, I'll sell some at the LA meet this Sunday! If you want one early can you make it?

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #1,455 of 2,828

"burn in" in our labs and testing has much more to do with the fit, headband and pads adjusting to your head over time than the driver changes (which happens but to a lesser extent). The concha of the ear and seal plays a large role in the perceived sound, this is why we say "the fit is the sound" and actually encourage some extreme usage like working out in the first few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back