V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Feb 22, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #1,111 of 2,828
I have Beats Pro right now but was looking to sell them. I'm hoping to get a more portable headphone. I listen to a lot of post hardcore metal but a little dubstep and some pop. But 90% nu-metal and post hardcore stuff. Are these headphones for me? They look awesome and I hear great things about them, just want to make sure.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #1,112 of 2,828

Quote:
I have Beats Pro right now but was looking to sell them. I'm hoping to get a more portable headphone. I listen to a lot of post hardcore metal but a little dubstep and some pop. But 90% nu-metal and post hardcore stuff. Are these headphones for me? They look awesome and I hear great things about them, just want to make sure.

Ummm yep they do those genres well. The bass is different on the M80 compared to the Beats though.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #1,113 of 2,828
well the main reason I asked is that the CEO/Owner Val seemed to suggest that these headphones were ideal for the gym and on the website there's even a quick mention of "allowing two hours at the gym for the cushions to conform to your ears" etc. 

Well I've got a pair sitting on my desk to try out today so I guess I'll know soon enough! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,114 of 2,828

My brother had solos and I got these bad boys and my bro has have all the best stuff, so he bought the beats pros and TBH they are equal, but very different.
I find the Beats Pros to be more comfortable and have more clear highs, but at the price of less accuracy and and an odd FR graph. It sounds like boosted bass and highs. The m 80s have WAY clearer bass with FAR more impact. But that being said they can be a blanketed on the highs. Piano and high pitch male voices, like Journey and Styx, just sound too great.
It will be a big adjustment for you but they are definitely great headphones.

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #1,115 of 2,828

Quote:
well the main reason I asked is that the CEO/Owner Val seemed to suggest that these headphones were ideal for the gym and on the website there's even a quick mention of "allowing two hours at the gym for the cushions to conform to your ears" etc. 

Well I've got a pair sitting on my desk to try out today so I guess I'll know soon enough! 
beerchug.gif

They will stay on your head if your just lifting weights (i've done that once) I was just more worried about the sweat deteriorating the headphones and what not and haven't done it since. They don't exactly seem too waterproof.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #1,117 of 2,828
So have been trying out the M80 all evening....honestly it feels like something is "missing" when compared to my P5s. The headphones themselves actually feel lighter and perhaps even more comfortable than the P5s and the sound quality is obviously very good, but the same music doesn't seem to grab me in quite the same way (been testing back and forth with Southern Point by Grizzly Bear, Tamer Animals by Other Lives, Idioteque by Radiohead and Silent Shout by the Knife). Is this just my imagination? Have I just gotten used to the "warmth" of the P5s and need time for my ears to adjust to the M80? 

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #1,118 of 2,828

Quote:
So have been trying out the M80 all evening....honestly it feels like something is "missing" when compared to my P5s. The headphones themselves actually feel lighter and perhaps even more comfortable than the P5s and the sound quality is obviously very good, but the same music doesn't seem to grab me in quite the same way (been testing back and forth with Southern Point by Grizzly Bear, Tamer Animals by Other Lives, Idioteque by Radiohead and Silent Shout by the Knife). Is this just my imagination? Have I just gotten used to the "warmth" of the P5s and need time for my ears to adjust to the M80? 

The highs aren't as sparkly or sharp as I'd like it to be. Is that what you're referring to? 

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #1,119 of 2,828
Feb 23, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #1,120 of 2,828
honestly, I'm not sure I can pinpoint what's throwing me yet... even physically with the headphones the differences might just take getting used to. With the P5s you have soft leather covering your entire ear almost like a luxury recliner, but a bit too snug, whereas the M80s feel much lighter and "airy" b/c of the cups and relatively less pressure on the ears than the P5s. 

Even as I type this with the M80s on my head I find myself warming up to them a bit. I think the sound may be "cleaner" somewhat (less dark?) than the P5s which may contribute to this sensation of airyness. So it IS different....but I think I'm starting to enjoy it? 
blink.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #1,121 of 2,828

Quote:
honestly, I'm not sure I can pinpoint what's throwing me yet... even physically with the headphones the differences might just take getting used to. With the P5s you have soft leather covering your entire ear almost like a luxury recliner, but a bit too snug, whereas the M80s feel much lighter and "airy" b/c of the cups and relatively less pressure on the ears than the P5s. 

Even as I type this with the M80s on my head I find myself warming up to them a bit. I think the sound may be "cleaner" somewhat (less dark?) than the P5s which may contribute to this sensation of airyness. So it IS different....but I think I'm starting to enjoy it? 
blink.gif

I don't understand what you mean by airy there too much. Maybe compared to the P5 I guess.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #1,122 of 2,828

Quote:
They will stay on your head if your just lifting weights (i've done that once) I was just more worried about the sweat deteriorating the headphones and what not and haven't done it since. They don't exactly seem too waterproof.

I used them outside in the pouring rain once and they got pretty soaked, and there were no problems.  Probably try not to do that too often though...but the driver is made out of plastic, not cellulose or paper, so water at least wouldn't affect that, I'd be more worried about a short or corrosion, and having a bunch of water on the driver might cause enough stress to make it tear or just deform permanently due to an uneven weight balance on it...I honestly don't know what water does to drivers like these.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #1,123 of 2,828
Quote:
Yes but I meant that they wouldn't seem too good to use them at the gym getting them covered in sweat several times a week for several years and expect nothing bad to happen (I don't want my babies to break).

Yes that is true lol I dont think any headphones deserve to be gym headphones... especially M80s! Blast a stereo instead

Quote:

blink.gif

Me being captain obvious but probably because M80s are semi-open

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #1,124 of 2,828

Quote:

Quote:

blink.gif

This is just a guess, whats probably throwing you is you're more used to a consumer friendly sound which the P5 easily falls into. I owned the P5 for around a year and the M80 is a different animal compared to the P5. Try this as an experiment, throw on the M80 pick one of your favorite most listened to songs you have, make sure it's one you've heard a billion times, and go to a quiet room with nothing happening around you and close your eyes, shut off the lights, whatever just don't let yourself get distracted, and concentrate on the music and try pinpointing and zeroing in on different instruments and their positioning relative to the soundstage. Once you've done that a few times throw on the P5 and decide for yourself what the result is. The P5 doesn't have as good separation nor layering as the M80 nor is that bass as clean as the M80. The end result is a less 3D like effect. Not sure what you mean by airy the P5 to my ears was rather dark sounding and the M80 has smoothed over highs so neither have what I would class as sparkly highs. Usually when people use the term airy it means the high and mid treble is very well defined giving the upper frequencies a added sense of air and adding to the overall soundstage. What kevin above is saying sounds like  a more correct statement, that being the semi open nature adds to the level of separation leading to better soundstage. That being said I wouldn't class either headphone as overly airy but that's just me.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #1,125 of 2,828
Just got my M-80 and listening to Adele's Someone like You.
I'm still new to all this so my comments are just based on how I feel.

Initial impressions:

The bass surpasses my SR80(of course) and overall the sound is smoother compared to the Grados.
It thoroughly beats the ATH M50 which sounds muffled to me now. Don't know if I will pick it up again :frowning2:

Well worth my money so far. Even my wife who usually frown on me buying new headphones ("why do you need another one?") loves this.

Can't wait for M-100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back