V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Feb 20, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #1,099 of 2,828

Quote:
Hmm, i just feel they sound muddy at times. Compared to my VR07. 

Probably due to the slightly recessed treble in the M-80s.  I've unfortunately been unable to compare my GR07 (that's what you meant right?) with my M-80s yet since my GR07s appear to have died...

If you bump up the treble in the M-80s with EQ you can get rid of the muddiness, but it becomes a bit more fatiguing to listen to.  My advice to you is to simply listen to only the M-80s for a day or two and see what you think.  The "muddiness" goes away pretty quickly if you aren't comparing it to a brighter pair of headphones.

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #1,100 of 2,828
I've never felt like my M-80's were muddy, but I did feel like the highs were "compressed", like they did not have enough room up top. This has since gone away, which I believe has to do with me finally having them find the perfect position on my ears.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #1,101 of 2,828

Quote:
I tried out the M-80's. I have to say that because of my skewed genre preferences (80% extreme metal), they didn't do too much for me. I will concede, however, that they truly are chill-out headphones... vocals came out pristine and smooth, and the smoothness/soundstage of these things combined with the more ambient/atmospheric genres really brought loungeyness that would be awesome if that's what I mainly listen to. Their isolation didn't really do anything for me. I ended up returning them because I found that I preferred the sound (again, to the genres I mainly listen to) I got on my sr-60i's.. and I got those for $50! However, they really are beautiful headphones, and are the most comfortable things in the world; perhaps in the future if they go on sale I'll snag a pair again, as the sound sig would be at least a compliment to my grado's if I ever felt the loungey mood creep up on me again. Perhaps the m-100's, even.

vaed they really pair well with funeral doom and drone. As for the extreme genres, if you mean black metal and some of the more aggressive thrash and brutal death metal I agree they don't pair very well. Other sub genres they pair well enough with are some old school heavy metal, power and most of the progressive metal I threw at them. Technical death metal such as Quo Vadis sounded passable on them because of how well the M-80 can do percussion. For the non metal offshoot genres metalcore believe it or not sounded pretty good as did a lot of nu metal.

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #1,102 of 2,828
B&W P5 Owner Looking for VModa M80 advice!!!

Long time "lurker" first time poster! 
bigsmile_face.gif

I currently have the B&W P5 sitting on my head as I write this, plugged into my iphone.  I'm not well versed enough in audiophile terminology/vernacular (hey I'm a drummer, what do I know about music???) to convey everything I'm looking for in a pair of cans but I will say that I am a big fan of the sound of the P5: vocals come across intimatly as though the singer is sitting in the room next to me, I hear good separation of instruments, details I've never heard in songs I've known for years jump out at me now, the base is solid but not remotely over bearing or muddy, songs aren't buried in low end, and I find the overall "warmth" of the sound to be pleasing if not 100% "natural". Another plus is the great isolation given that these are not noise cancelling. I can't hear my fingers snap next to my ear when the music is on at a moderate level. These are also EXTREMELY comfortable headphones (but I've had to break them in a while...too tight initially, painful with my glasses etc). 

Biggest con with these headphones: I can't really work out in them!!

The leather covering of the P5 earpads don't lend themselves to hours of vigorous exercise at the gym (bad for the materials to get covered in sweat) and the leather itself can get pretty warm which isn't great for being outdoors in the summer. 

So I've heard tons of great things about these cans and how fantastic the sound is, how durable the materials, how comfortable etc but I haven't really seen anything to compare them to the B&W P5. Does anyone have any thoughts about quality of sound on the M80 vs the P5? How about comfort for someone with glasses? Lastly, how would they hold up to a pretty intense work out regimine? Would I end up shorting out the drivers or can I lift weights, do cardio and not have to think twice about what's on my head? I'd really like to find a pair of great sounding headphones that can work for me for casual listening at home, when I'm on the go walking around and also when I'm going hardcore at the gym. 

What do you guys think, are the M80s the cans I've been looking for? 
happy_face1.gif

P.S. I've tried out the Crossfade LP and was unimpressed by the sound, base too muddy/overpowering, sound just didn't "move me" and pull me in the way the P5's did. But I hear the M80s are nothing like the LPs...

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,103 of 2,828

I heard the P5 at my best buy and they sounded really good. I got my M80s last week and after a short while with them, fell in love with the sound. I could wear them for a long period of time as far as music fatigue, something i couldnt do with my Klipsch Image ones, after a while the highs would start getting annoying. Not with the m80s everything seems balanced. 

I tired using the m80s for jump roping while i did some training, and they kept moving. Didnt feel secure, and i probably wouldnt use them for working out as they do sit tight around the ears, it started getting warm rather quickly. Id probably stick in IEM for working out. 
Quote:
B&W P5 Owner Looking for VModa M80 advice!!!

Long time "lurker" first time poster! 
bigsmile_face.gif

I currently have the B&W P5 sitting on my head as I write this, plugged into my iphone.  I'm not well versed enough in audiophile terminology/vernacular (hey I'm a drummer, what do I know about music???) to convey everything I'm looking for in a pair of cans but I will say that I am a big fan of the sound of the P5: vocals come across intimatly as though the singer is sitting in the room next to me, I hear good separation of instruments, details I've never heard in songs I've known for years jump out at me now, the base is solid but not remotely over bearing or muddy, songs aren't buried in low end, and I find the overall "warmth" of the sound to be pleasing if not 100% "natural". Another plus is the great isolation given that these are not noise cancelling. I can't hear my fingers snap next to my ear when the music is on at a moderate level. These are also EXTREMELY comfortable headphones (but I've had to break them in a while...too tight initially, painful with my glasses etc). 

Biggest con with these headphones: I can't really work out in them!!

The leather covering of the P5 earpads don't lend themselves to hours of vigorous exercise at the gym (bad for the materials to get covered in sweat) and the leather itself can get pretty warm which isn't great for being outdoors in the summer. 

So I've heard tons of great things about these cans and how fantastic the sound is, how durable the materials, how comfortable etc but I haven't really seen anything to compare them to the B&W P5. Does anyone have any thoughts about quality of sound on the M80 vs the P5? How about comfort for someone with glasses? Lastly, how would they hold up to a pretty intense work out regimine? Would I end up shorting out the drivers or can I lift weights, do cardio and not have to think twice about what's on my head? I'd really like to find a pair of great sounding headphones that can work for me for casual listening at home, when I'm on the go walking around and also when I'm going hardcore at the gym. 

What do you guys think, are the M80s the cans I've been looking for? 
happy_face1.gif

P.S. I've tried out the Crossfade LP and was unimpressed by the sound, base too muddy/overpowering, sound just didn't "move me" and pull me in the way the P5's did. But I hear the M80s are nothing like the LPs...

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #1,104 of 2,828
Yeah thats probably what it is, the recessed treble. I dont like tweaking eq while listening to music as not all the songs sound great with the tweaks. After a few songs my ears adjust to their sound though. Its no biggie with the muddiness i hear, just so amazed by how great the GR07 sound. Really blew me away. 

Quote:
Probably due to the slightly recessed treble in the M-80s.  I've unfortunately been unable to compare my GR07 (that's what you meant right?) with my M-80s yet since my GR07s appear to have died...

If you bump up the treble in the M-80s with EQ you can get rid of the muddiness, but it becomes a bit more fatiguing to listen to.  My advice to you is to simply listen to only the M-80s for a day or two and see what you think.  The "muddiness" goes away pretty quickly if you aren't comparing it to a brighter pair of headphones.

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #1,105 of 2,828

Quote:
vaed they really pair well with funeral doom and drone. As for the extreme genres, if you mean black metal and some of the more aggressive thrash and brutal death metal I agree they don't pair very well. Other sub genres they pair well enough with are some old school heavy metal, power and most of the progressive metal I threw at them. Technical death metal such as Quo Vadis sounded passable on them because of how well the M-80 can do percussion. For the non metal offshoot genres metalcore believe it or not sounded pretty good as did a lot of nu metal.

I'll agree with that; the soundstage did wonders for atmospheric black metal, and ambient nuances came out very detailed and clear. I don't listen to much heavy metal/power/progressive/numetal/metalcore; more of a straight black/death metal guy (I do listen to a little bit of progressive stuff). :p I guess my main complaint is that heavy guitars were fairly boring compared to my Grados. I know that there aren't any portables that approach the guitars like the Grados do, but the fact that they costed $200 and didn't immediately tip my toes with its sound made me do a double take. Double-bass was also muddy on some tracks.

Outside of metal, they performed really well (listen to "Like Ice" off Conjure One's Exilarch... female vocals are pure heaven.), which is why I want to have them again someday when I finally find a complimentary, edgy portable. I think, though, if the HD-25's sound too congested on the same music, I might head back to the M-80's.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,106 of 2,828
I have question on these cans. Many I have read have said they lack sub bass. But i have also read that people think it has a lot of low end bass. Which is true? I listen to a lot of hiphop and house, so my preference would be some nice clean bass. Thanks

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #1,107 of 2,828

Quote:
I have question on these cans. Many I have read have said they lack sub bass. But i have also read that people think it has a lot of low end bass. Which is true? I listen to a lot of hiphop and house, so my preference would be some nice clean bass. Thanks

I'm not too good with the terminology. Let me just say that the bass is nice and natural sounding, not too overpowering or the slightest bit muddy. With genres like house, you can really "feel" the vibrations. Listening to Avicii and Skrillex on M-80s is phenomenal. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #1,108 of 2,828

theres a vmoda app in the android market, and i used it with the m80s. Woah. Probably the cleanest bass ive heard in a long time. 
Quote:

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #1,109 of 2,828

Quote:

I have sony xb500s and they do bass much better (thought not nearly as tight), they have sub bass but not a lot (i bought a digizoid ZO2 for this) but good mid bass. Drums are what sound great on these though. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #1,110 of 2,828

Quote:

When I'm walking around outside, I usually shorten the head band to get a more secure fit. Definitely fine for walking around, but I would highly suggest against going hardcore with them at the gym. The only earphones truly suited for hardcore workouts in my opinion are IEMs, preferably with earhooks. Besides, I doubt you'd want to risk damaging a 200$ headphone while working out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back