V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Jan 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #827 of 2,828

Quote:
M80's really don't need amping but with an amp you will get a boost.  These are closed cans, so it won't leak too much sound.  

x2, The M-80s are pretty good at keeping your sound in with its seal. As for amps, I really wouldn't stress it as they sound superb without one. If you really want to experiment with a portable amp, the fiio e11 seems like a good one to look at.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #828 of 2,828

Quote:
x2, The M-80s are pretty good at keeping your sound in with its seal. As for amps, I really wouldn't stress it as they sound superb without one. If you really want to experiment with a portable amp, the fiio e11 seems like a good one to look at.

I just looked up that amp, it looks nice. Have you personally used this amp with the M-80's?

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #829 of 2,828
Without an amp, they have a fast transient response and tight bass. You could get one down the road if you choose, but you wouldn't be lacking much if you just listen to them straight. 

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #831 of 2,828
Quote:
Okay, this question is a little bit off topic, but how do you use portable amps? is there a cord where you connect your device to the amp and then put your headphones in another jack on the amp?

I'm pretty sure you just plug a 3.5mm/LOD to 3.5mm interconnect into your portable player, and connect it to the amp. You then plug the headphones into the amp, and listen from there

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #832 of 2,828

Quote:
I just looked up that amp, it looks nice. Have you personally used this amp with the M-80's?

No I haven't personally, but I'm recommending to research it here on the boards. I've read very good things and it has a great form factor. The only amp I have right now is the TTVJ Slim. The price tag is kind of high for that one though. When I amp the M-80s I feel the soundstage expands and the instrument separation improves along with giving them a tighter low end. However, the M-80s sound just fine without an amp, which is why I recommend getting something not as expensive (I use the Slim for other headphones and some harder-to-drive cans).

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #833 of 2,828

Quote:
Okay, this question is a little bit off topic, but how do you use portable amps? is there a cord where you connect your device to the amp and then put your headphones in another jack on the amp?

lod from the headphone out of dap into the input of your amp. If you're using an ipod/iphone I recommend the Fiio l9, which is what I use.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #834 of 2,828

Quote:
No I haven't personally, but I'm recommending to research it here on the boards. I've read very good things and it has a great form factor. The only amp I have right now is the TTVJ Slim. The price tag is kind of high for that one though. When I amp the M-80s I feel the soundstage expands and the instrument separation improves along with giving them a tighter low end. However, the M-80s sound just fine without an amp, which is why I recommend getting something not as expensive (I use the Slim for other headphones and some harder-to-drive cans).

alright, makes sense. ill start looking into it.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #835 of 2,828
I've tried the M-80's with a FiiO E7, E10 and Matrix Mini-i.  I have to say that I prefer them unamped right out my iPhone or iPod classic.  I rarely use them on my MacBookAir with the E10 as they're too sensitive and the volume control is way too touchy.

They're actually quite nice out of the Matrix Mini-i but it's a desktop amp with a really good digital volume control.. 0-60 so I can fine tune the volume quite nicely.

iPhone or iPod Classic >> LOD cable >> FiiO E7 is just too much trouble and I'm not even sure there really is a SQ difference.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #836 of 2,828
You really think that the M-80's soundbest without any amping at all? Another question for you on top of that. Seeing as you use iPods, do you know if iPods or Android smartphones produce better sound? I have both, but I tend to just use my smart phone since I always have it on me...

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #837 of 2,828

Quote:
You really think that the M-80's soundbest without any amping at all? Another question for you on top of that. Seeing as you use iPods, do you know if iPods or Android smartphones produce better sound? I have both, but I tend to just use my smart phone since I always have it on me...

I think amping does sound better but you do not need it for the M80's.  I have not had an android phone for years but I've been using iphones and it sounds great with them.  I would suggest you buy an amp only if you end up getting a harder to drive headphone.  If you use an iphone there is an app called bongiovi dps and it sounds really good with the M80's for 99 cents.

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #838 of 2,828
I agree that the M80s are sensitive enough not to need amping power to drive them, but i think they do sound better with an amp. There are other factors besides power though: soundstage, frequency enhancement, etc.

The JDS Labs cmoyBB is well worth $60 in my opinion. It's a great sounding amp for that price. It can def. add bass enhancement, if you want that. (altho the M80's bass is already one of its better qualities). I have modified my cmoyBB with an additional pot to control the amount of bass i want.

But whether you need it for your particular sources i can't really say though. If you are happy with the sound straight from the source, then just enjoy it.

Yes, for connectivity, you just plug the 3.5mm stereo patch cord from the source to the input of the amp and then plug the headphones into the output of the amp. You can then adjust volume with the pot on the amp as well as the source.

Some headphone amps are also DAC's as well. They would need a seperate type of connection that can bypass the internal sound circuitry of the device (or soundcard in a computer) and can greatly improve the SQ in many ways.

But I'd suggest you just see how you like the sound straight from your devices first. Try any internal EQ'ing or apps to get the sound you might like. I'm not really sure the M80s are critically revealing cans to begin with, but they are sensitive enough not to need additional power.

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #839 of 2,828
Sorry for my bad typing I'm on my phone...

Quote:
ohh hey, just remembered the other question I wanted to ask you guys. I listen to country, rap, and rock. The majority of the time I am listening to either modern rock (rise against/breaking benjamin stuff) or rap (jay-z type stuff). For anybody on here that has used these headphones for this type of music, do you have any comments on how the M-80's perform in these genres specifically?

I listen to classic rock rap and some country mostly. They really shine on rap and on Rick the drum and bass gets a new clarity that sounds just amazing. Intense guitar solos ring spout sach note individually and don't blend together into a too by mess. They have a great soundstage too sonic sounds like you are surrounded in the music. On country the boot tapping becomes more apparent. Hit doesn't take away from the music  they perform all genres well.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #840 of 2,828
Thanks guys, those are the responses I have been looking for. As of right now, the plan is that I'm picking em up tomorrow, I'm gonna let them burn in for the night with my bass heavy play list, then after I let em cook, I'll take a listen. If im not satisfied, I'll take a chance on the cmoyBB, cuz $60 is too cheap to pass up on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back