V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Jan 13, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #811 of 2,828
Just received my V-80s. So far, quite disappointed actually. The sound to me is a bit tinny, the MR is grainy and too forward, HF lacks air and presence. Bass is very good on some hardware sources (portable amp, nuforce dac/amp), but not on others. In fact, with portable devices (ZuneHD, smartphone) where i had hoped to use it the most, the MR sounds even more forward and the bass is lacking. This seems to be the opposite of most reviews and i hope to find out if my particular set has problem, but so far i am very unhappy. Was really excited about the purchase, as i think they are very nice-looking and well made, and had hoped for a great small on-ear can for portability. Also, they are quite uncomfortable to wear for me. Does this improve? For reference, i've played them for 3 days now and have "burned them in" over night for 2 days with not much SQ difference. Any suggestions or advice before i send them back and get my money back??

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #812 of 2,828
I've got a variety of portable amps and DACS (primarily for iDevice though, not USB DACs) and for me, the M-80 doesn't really need those. Straight out of the iPhone or iPad has worked well.

In other words, if you're not happy with your V-80 even after a few days burn-in, at least IMHO, adding one of those devices isn't going to be a night/day improvement for you. IMHO, it simply means the V-80 aren't for you. I won't quote it as "bad" though and for it's price range, at least to me they are the best amongst what's available today. Of course you can do better but then you'll be talking about a different price bracket.

As for comfort, as quoted somewhere else on this thread, you can flex the V-80's more to make it more comfortable.

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #813 of 2,828
Thanks AnakChan. I'm thinking the sound is nothing like what i was expecting from others' comments though. And not looking for other devices to try to enhance the sound of the v-80s. What's interesting to me is that the sensitivity of the V80s seems pretty good, but on my portable devices the sensitivity is very pronounced in the midrange frequencies only (losing much of the good bass and highs), whereas other cans still sound very good even without amping for enhancement. I also own AT m50, Shure 940, etc, whose sound signature doesnt change so dramatically with or without amping with the same sources, and i would have expected the vmoda to be even more favorable without amping as well. But I dont think the sound i'm getting with my set is worth even half the price frankly. Just want to give them the benefit of doubt and love the size, styling, etc. just not the sound at all, so far.
Any other comments on my experience with these? I'm not a basshead either, and i think i know what good sound is and how to recognize it. Could i have got a lemon, or need more burn in, somehow have a problem?

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #817 of 2,828

Quote:
Thanks AnakChan. I'm thinking the sound is nothing like what i was expecting from others' comments though. And not looking for other devices to try to enhance the sound of the v-80s. What's interesting to me is that the sensitivity of the V80s seems pretty good, but on my portable devices the sensitivity is very pronounced in the midrange frequencies only (losing much of the good bass and highs), whereas other cans still sound very good even without amping for enhancement. I also own AT m50, Shure 940, etc, whose sound signature doesnt change so dramatically with or without amping with the same sources, and i would have expected the vmoda to be even more favorable without amping as well. But I dont think the sound i'm getting with my set is worth even half the price frankly. Just want to give them the benefit of doubt and love the size, styling, etc. just not the sound at all, so far.
Any other comments on my experience with these? I'm not a basshead either, and i think i know what good sound is and how to recognize it. Could i have got a lemon, or need more burn in, somehow have a problem?

If you're coming from the Shure 940, then it sounds to me like you're just stepping down a bit in sound quality and noticing it.  The 940s are designed to be neutral and accurate, and now you're going to something that's not.  Perhaps the sound signature is just not for you...

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #818 of 2,828
Hey guys, I'm picking up my M-80's from Radioshack within the next couple days, and I have a couple questions for the M-80 owners.
First off, I never use any kind of amp for my music. I would if I could, but I don't have the money to get any of the ones I have been seeing, and frenquely, I don't know where to even start looking. I always either use my Samsung Fascinate smartphone or my iPod nano. Do you know which device plays music better? I know that different devices play music differently....
Next question. I primarily listen to Rap (Jay-z type) and Modern Rock (Rise against or Breaking Benjamin type). In your opinions, should I adjust my EQ to make these types of music sound the best, or do they sound good right out of the box with default settings?
Last question, I know that the M-80's are known to have rather poor sound isolation, but how is the outward sound leakage? Other than bad sounding headphones, there is nothing that annoys me more than having a pair of headphones that allows the whole world to hear what I am listening to, even when I'm not playing it loudly.

This one is a little off topic, but you guys all seem to know a lot more about amplifiers than I do. I am looking for a portable amplifier (and im talking pocket size), that I can get for about $100. Is this even a possibility? If so, I know that these headphones are known for sounding great without a amp, would it even be worth the money? If so, can you guys lead me in the right direction?

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #820 of 2,828
Eh I'm sorry I'm a total noob regarding amps but I just thought I had to post in reply to your call for help cos I think I shoukld help you bumo it up a bit.

Someone help this poor sod!

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #821 of 2,828
@house of spears:

i can't comment on the comparison of your two sources as i've never heard them. But yes, the hardware in each device can be vastly different in SQ. i mostly listen to music on a ZuneHD, portably that is. And the IC chip in it (Wolfson) is quite good in my opinion.

From my limited experience, the M80 sound leakage is pretty good outward, not great inward (you can hear sound yourself while wearing them unless the music is fairly loud, but people can't hear your music that well outward--can someone else comment to this?).

JDS Labs makes a very good cmoy called the CmoyBB that you can buy for under $100 already put together. I've put together 5 or 6 from scratch for even cheaper and made my own modifications, but you need to know how to solder well and have some electronics knowledge/skills. The circuit is housed inside an Altoids tin can (mine are in a Penguin mint tin) if that size is portable enough for you. They sound very good for the price though. (Anyone have other amp recommendations out there in this price range?)

Hope that helps.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #822 of 2,828
To all those with clamping tight issues, it does stop clamping so hard but you gotta 1 wear them a lat because that seemed to get the foam pads to soften up a bit and 2 bend them a little so they are forced to loosen up. 

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #823 of 2,828

Quote:
Eh I'm sorry I'm a total noob regarding amps but I just thought I had to post in reply to your call for help cos I think I shoukld help you bumo it up a bit.

Someone help this poor sod!

Thanks lol

Quote:
@house of spears:

i can't comment on the comparison of your two sources as i've never heard them. But yes, the hardware in each device can be vastly different in SQ. i mostly listen to music on a ZuneHD, portably that is. And the IC chip in it (Wolfson) is quite good in my opinion.

From my limited experience, the M80 sound leakage is pretty good outward, not great inward (you can hear sound yourself while wearing them unless the music is fairly loud, but people can't hear your music that well outward--can someone else comment to this?).

JDS Labs makes a very good cmoy called the CmoyBB that you can buy for under $100 already put together. I've put together 5 or 6 from scratch for even cheaper and made my own modifications, but you need to know how to solder well and have some electronics knowledge/skills. The circuit is housed inside an Altoids tin can (mine are in a Penguin mint tin) if that size is portable enough for you. They sound very good for the price though. (Anyone have other amp recommendations out there in this price range?)

Hope that helps.

Woah. I just checked it out, and it is sweet how they turn the Altoid container into a modern looking device. I am new to amps though, so I have a couple questions on this.
1. What does Cmoy stand for?
2. does it improve the SQ to an extent where it is really worth spending the $60 on it?
3. How do you use this with a portable music device?

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #824 of 2,828
Hey all, 

I've been lurking for a while on Head-Fi, and I finally joined. I just returned a newly bought LP2 because I decided to wait for V-MODA to release the M-100 (based largely on what I have read on this and other forums).

I also just bought one of the JDS Labs cMoyBB v2.03 amps. It's pretty incredible for the price. Definitely more bass response with the Bass Boost feature toggled on, and without it I notice a general increase in level, as well as improved clarity and response. Well worth it. Super build quality, too, and I got mine in a Cool Honey Altoids tin, which looks sharp :)  

Peace.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #825 of 2,828

Quote:
Thanks lol

Woah. I just checked it out, and it is sweet how they turn the Altoid container into a modern looking device. I am new to amps though, so I have a couple questions on this.
1. What does Cmoy stand for?
named after Chu Moy
2. does it improve the SQ to an extent where it is really worth spending the $60 on it?
it all depends on you.  It will add a nice bass boost.  Also check out the Fiio E11 for around the same price.  Fiio has 3 step bass boost, has lots of power to drive other headphones.  
3. How do you use this with a portable music device?
mini to mini cable or a lod (line out dock)

M80's really don't need amping but with an amp you will get a boost.  These are closed cans, so it won't leak too much sound.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back