V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Dec 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2,761 of 2,828
I totally picked these up on the deal they had yesterday on Amazon. WOW! very happy especially for the price. Looking forward to burning them in, I've seen several people mention this makes them even better. So far I can't believe how comfortable they are.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #2,762 of 2,828
Oh yeah.

I stuck the drivers of my M80 with broken headband in a VModa XS housing with a dead driver and now have a folding M80, hahaha!
It also looks very, very ugly because I tried to reuse the black brushed metal plates of the M80 cups on the white XS.  Definitely going with the plain metal XS plates instead when I stop procrastinating on changing them.

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #2,768 of 2,828
When I asked the same kind of question I was told there really isn't enough of an audible difference to justify paying more for the XS. I mean, I guess if you have that kind of cash just lying around anyways, do it, but I don't see the point in having both.

Dec 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #2,769 of 2,828
I own both and see no reason to buy both. Given a choice, I feel that the comfort, increased portability, and slight sonic changes of the XS warrant the higher price over the M-80. However, for sound alone, either one is a great choice and those without the budget will be hard pressed to find a better value than the M-80 at its current price. You can find my reviews of both headphones in my signature.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #2,772 of 2,828
Does anyone know where to get the m80 3-button cable? Or if vmoda even offers them anymore as a possible "replacement" part for people with the m80s?

The 3 button cable is no longer available.  I'm not sure why they were discontinued.  I've checked ebay, and amazon with no success.  I would send V Moda an email, they might have some left over that are not listed on their site.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #2,773 of 2,828
So, I got the m-80s as my first high quality headphones as a belated Christmas gift to myself. I've had them for a few days now, and I've probably spent 15 hours listening to them, maybe 20. I'm not an expert, but I was asked to post my impressions so I will.

First of all, they look really slick. Everything about them screams quality. They feel durable and they're just freakin' cool. The packaging is well-designed and really sold me on my purchase - three cheers to the design department for V-Moda. The case is compact but has enough space that my Sansa Clip+ can fit in there with my headphones if I need to take them both on the go.

Comfort is... well, they're not uncomfortable, but I wouldn't say they're comfortable either. After a few days of stretching them out and just wearing them I can definitely say they've loosened up, but they still hurt my ears after extended wear (that's probably to be expected from on-ear headphones in general though). I should also note that I have a small head, and at their smallest setting these are actually a little big on me, but they work (they would fit me perfectly if my head wasn't shaved, actually).

Sound: this is the important bit, right? I mean, I've noticed things on tracks I've been listening to that I didn't even know were there listening on my $30 sony's (I can't even imagine what the difference would be if I were coming from cheap earbuds or the like). There are backing vocals, instruments, and just details I never picked up on that these headphones have made available to me so if you're on the fence about upgrading, I'd say do it. I'm never going back to cheap headphones ever again.

The bass is punchy and wonderfully detailed without being overwhelming. It's definitely there, and it makes its presence known, but not in a way that sacrifices the mids or treble or the overpowers the vocals. Drums are crisp, bass guitar is just a joy to listen to, and there's just enough of it there to be fun.

Mids are very forward. They're the most prominent, to my ears, part of the headphone's signature. This has the effect of really making guitar and vocals shine, though on some rock tracks it can feel like they're competing for space. Overall, though, I really like the effect, and the interplay of mids and based feels very complementary.

Treble is probably the weak point of the headphones, but that's not to say the treble is weak. Some people have said it lacks "sparkle" and to me it seems lack a certain definition. Where the bass feels punchy and defined the treble feels a bit recessed and, well, not muddy per say but dull. This doesn't bother me at all, because I would much rather have good bass and mids than pronounced treble, but for some people I could see this being annoying.

Overall I'd give these headphones an 7.5 or 8/10 at V-Moda's price and a 10/10 at their current Amazon price ($89.99). I just don't think there's a better deal out there right now as far as headphones go, and plugged into my rockboxed sansa clip+ this setup is probably the best <$200 rig I could ever hope for.

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #2,774 of 2,828
I am really tempted to grab these at the current price! I have the original lp's and love them for edm/hip hop, not so much for other genres. How different(better?) are the m80's than Monster Dna's and JVC s400's that I already own? I would bet the dna's give them a good run for the money on sound but not fit & finish... I still want them though! lol.

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #2,775 of 2,828
Does anyone know where to get the m80 3-button cable? Or if vmoda even offers them anymore as a possible "replacement" part for people with the m80s?

The 3 button cable is no longer available.  I'm not sure why they were discontinued.  I've checked ebay, and amazon with no success.  I would send V Moda an email, they might have some left over that are not listed on their site.

I've been told by a representative that the 3-button mic cables are coming back! The rep said they will be sold separately in 6-8 weeks. If you want my source feel free to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back