V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Sep 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #2,581 of 2,828
Just re-picked these up at Radioshack for $40. I was originally one of the first to pick these up, but ended up selling them off after a couple months. Been using IEMs ever since but I think that's about to change, as I forgot how much I enjoy these. Very happy at the price vs. what I originally paid for them.

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #2,582 of 2,828
Coming back for follow-up impressions. 

I wasn't listening as intently with my first impressions, but since then I do notice a spike in the mids. It seems that the deep lows, the middle mids, and top end highs are a bit boosted to give the headphones a W shaped sound signature. While this is fine, and you can think of it the "clear" EQ setting with a touch of bass, it's not necessarily fun to listen to. The sound is still thin and that's mostly because of this sound signature. I'm not in a total rush to listen to these headphones, but they are decent enough to periodically listen to them from time to time.

Burn-in might have touched up the bass' punch, but nothing else. These things run off of anything just fine, but they are rather sensitive--similar to a high sensitivity IEM--so there is some hiss out of less-refined sources. It's fine for portables, but not so much for higher end home equipment that doesn't accommodate high sensitivity cans.

Wearing these around town is kind hard since my neck is rather "beefy" so the cans are barely loose around my neck--and that's with the headband fully extended. Talking about the headband, V-moda must think my head is the biggest in the world, since I have to extend these to their max to wear them well. And I have a medium sized head. The earpads fit me well, but I'm unsure about other people since I have rather small ears--people with larger ones might not find them very comfortable. Still, they are fine for keeping around neck if I'm just shuffling form place to place, or to put them to rest for a bit. They do look very nice, not too gaudy, but not too dull either. Just right when wearing them too, as they are small enough to just blend in and not protrude visually (like Grados do). 

The cable is still my main problem. While I haven't tested the mic, the controls are a bit iffy. The cloth cabling, while is nice for durability, causes it to tangle very easily and just loves microphonics. I'm happy that it's detachable so it can be removed if the headphones are at rest around my neck, but it tangles easily and likes to form tiny little loops when untangling. I'd love to see a flat cable on these. Might pick one up later.

I know there's a lot of negative here, but at the end of the day these the design of these headphones is golden. The looks, the size, the build, the fit (that a tight gripping on-ear headphone can offer) is all good. The sound might not be exactly to my taste, but listening to another signature will let me appreciate my fav signature more. I'm happy with these for $40 for sure, and they will become my standby listening cans for away from home. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #2,583 of 2,828
Those are all fair assessments. They are missing a bit of sparkle, but they seem to suit the music I listen to well without being fatiguing in the slightest. There's a particular emphasis on the kick drum which fits in with the DJ heritage of the brand.

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #2,584 of 2,828
There's a particular emphasis on the kick drum which fits in with the DJ heritage of the brand.

I'll agree with that. It's that deep bass emphasis that helps the kick drum, and a decent snap with cymbals. Honestly, I would prefer more sub-bass for hip-hop (like Beats produce). 

They don't do acoustics and guitars too well though. They really are hip-hop/pop/electronic orientated cans.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #2,586 of 2,828
So, with the heavy discounts at Radio Shack, and Amazon (main e-tailer -- not alternate ones) being temporarily out of stock, is the M80 discontinued?

Val mentioned that the pearl white M80 model is sold out in one of the V-MODA threads (not sure which).  I'm thinking that stock is being cleared for some reason, so maybe a new on-ear model is in the works.  V-MODA might be refreshing the on-ear model to take advantage of the popularity of the larger M100, like Sennheiser did with the Momentum.  This is an educated guess only.  

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #2,587 of 2,828
  So, with the heavy discounts at Radio Shack, and Amazon (main e-tailer -- not alternate ones) being temporarily out of stock, is the M80 discontinued?

Val mentioned that the pearl white M80 model is sold out in one of the V-MODA threads (not sure which).  I'm thinking that stock is being cleared for some reason, so maybe a new on-ear model is in the works.  V-MODA might be refreshing the on-ear model to take advantage of the popularity of the larger M100, like Sennheiser did with the Momentum.  This is an educated guess only.  

i think so as well, i hope our assumptions are correct. i was debating on the m-80s a while back, but didn't pull the trigger

i certainly hope that they will add the clique fold hinge on the new one and improve the isolation enough for commuting purposes (where most consumers would be using their headphones)

as it is right now according the measurements the m-80s are just not enough (isolation wise) for heavy commuting ( bus, trains, etc) i hope it can have enough isolation as the hd25 mk II or the new onkyo fc300.

if thats the case, take my money Val and Vmoda

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #2,588 of 2,828
sorry for the double post

but maybe change the underside of the headband to something a little more sticky or more friction surface- like the monster diamond tears, or the beats solos, (thats the only thing the solos did well in)

so it can grab the head a little better, and feel more secure of the head---being that its on ears and there are complaints that they don't feel as stable on the head etc

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #2,589 of 2,828
Here's what I want:  M80 size cups, but foldable with a hinge like the M100, smaller M100-like case, a single one-button headphone cable with mic, and priced at $200 street.  Call it the M100 mini.

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #2,591 of 2,828
  Here's what I want:  M80 size cups, but foldable with a hinge like the M100, smaller M100-like case, a single one-button headphone cable with mic, and priced at $200 street.  Call it the M100 mini.

If it had the sound signature of the M80 or M100, then that would be an absolute day one purchase for me. I much prefer the three button cable though.

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #2,592 of 2,828
So I recently picked up a pair of these, and they're an interesting contrast to my RE0 and modded KSC75 headphones that I've loved for a few years now. I've not posted on here before, probably in an attempt to prevent myself from getting too involved and spending loads of money, but I have a question.

I've noticed that after I get an ideal seal with the M-80, if I raise my eyebrows and sort of tighten the muscles that stretch back the skin that covers my temples, the sound quality gets WAY clearer. The tight bass and brilliant mids stay about the same (since the headphones are still sealed), but the treble becomes at least twice as clean and clear. I don't have much experience with headphones like these, but does anyone know if there's a quick trick I could do to adjust the fit and always get that improved treble clarity?

(Edit: I should also add in that I've read this entire thread--seriously--and I haven't seen anyone else mention this. But based on the emphasis Val places on getting the right fit, I'm really hoping somebody else has had a similar experience and solved it.)

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #2,593 of 2,828

If it had the sound signature of the M80 or M100, then that would be an absolute day one purchase for me. I much prefer the three button cable though.

i think val said there was a problem with apple, oh wellz i still have my cable, my only purchase from vmoda so far! and im not disappointed. they discontinued it i think 6 months after. and now only 1 buttons on any new releases. 

it'd be nice if the cable didn't kink and maybe shorten it a bit. might be because i'm short i'm 5'6-5'7 but the cables is just a bit a bit long. Maybe for you 6 footers its okay but i can't imagine them those guys thinking differently. 

maybe shorten the jack on the cable too the end going into the headphones, i'm using them for my noontec zoros and its sticking out like 3cm out from the 3.5mm input on the headphones. my fake beats wires are like 1.5 or less. it doesn't need to be that long imoo unless vmoda headphones, the jack is really recessed 

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #2,594 of 2,828
So I recently picked up a pair of these, and they're an interesting contrast to my RE0 and modded KSC75 headphones that I've loved for a few years now. I've not posted on here before, probably in an attempt to prevent myself from getting too involved and spending loads of money, but I have a question.

I've noticed that after I get an ideal seal with the M-80, if I raise my eyebrows and sort of tighten the muscles that stretch back the skin that covers my temples, the sound quality gets WAY clearer. The tight bass and brilliant mids stay about the same (since the headphones are still sealed), but the treble becomes at least twice as clean and clear. I don't have much experience with headphones like these, but does anyone know if there's a quick trick I could do to adjust the fit and always get that improved treble clarity?

(Edit: I should also add in that I've read this entire thread--seriously--and I haven't seen anyone else mention this. But based on the emphasis Val places on getting the right fit, I'm really hoping somebody else has had a similar experience and solved it.)

I'm not sure what muscle tightening that you describe does for the fit, other than shift the headphone angle slightly forward. Getting a good fit with the M80 is key, and I find that the best fit is with the headphone earcup sitting somewhat further back from the front of the ear, so that the back of the earphone pad extends slightly past the back of the pinna.

It helps to wear them a while too, so that the earpads conform better to the shape of your ear.

There is no doubt that the M80 treble rolls off in the last octave of hearing. Take a look at Tyll's datasheet over at innerfidelity; it shows the rolloff pretty clearly. Val mentioned this was good for hearing when listening loud, and I very much agree if you are listening at loud volumes. I tend to EQ the M80 in the treble to fix its sound when I use it, though, and listen at soft levels. When you do that, it becomes a very neutral-sounding headphone.

Oct 2, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #2,595 of 2,828
Thanks jazzman7. The positioning you recommend is pretty much how I've ended up wearing them. They weren't very comfortable at first, but I've worn them for at least 24 hours by now, and the fit has gotten much better. I'm absolutely loving these for the small amount of EDM I listen to, but when I listen to jazz, rock, or classical, I miss the sparkling detail my RE0s provide. I know the M-80s aren't nearly as analytical and won't give me that level of detail, but I still feel like I should be getting more than I currently am.

About EQ: I listen to FLAC files via a simple program called "Vox" on my MacBook. After reading your comment, I've been playing around with the equalizer, and even though I have a pretty good ear I can't dial in settings that make it sing the way it does when I do the Botox Face muscle thing. Even when I make adjustments that seem like they should be really subtle, I end up with a sound that loses its warmth and sounds tinny. Rather than get Botoxed, I'm hoping to figure out a good EQ. Could you give me some tips or screenshots of how you set your equalizer? Vox has a 10-channel EQ, if that helps

Cheers!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back