V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Apr 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #1,531 of 2,828
Hey guys, 

Quick question. Was thinking of getting a pair of the m80's And was wondering how's the mic quality on the cable? I'm mainly using it for music. But I might occasionally use it for some gaming on the PC as well. I heard the mic doesn't pick up our voice very well? 

Also read somewhere that there's a "speakeasy" cable? Is this a new cable that will come with new models? What does this cable do? Val also mentioned something about a "super mic" option down the line?

Thx for your help!

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #1,532 of 2,828

Quote:
Hey guys, 

Quick question. Was thinking of getting a pair of the m80's And was wondering how's the mic quality on the cable? I'm mainly using it for music. But I might occasionally use it for some gaming on the PC as well. I heard the mic doesn't pick up our voice very well? 

Also read somewhere that there's a "speakeasy" cable? Is this a new cable that will come with new models? What does this cable do? Val also mentioned something about a "super mic" option down the line?

Thx for your help!

The new white M-80 will come with the newer mic and I think future black ones will too.  The problem people have with the current one is that the mic isn't of particularly high quality and rubs against your clothing making lots of noise way too easily, and it's too close to your head to easily reach it.  The new cable has the mic up in a separate capsule closer to the head and the remote down a bit further so it should hopefully solve these issues...but nobody's ever tried one to say how it works yet.

Apr 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,533 of 2,828
Just picked mine up from the base today!  I think they are priced at the LP2 price though...but I didn't complain.  Have not had a chance to open them up yet...but I'm just minutes away.  Pretty excited to hear them. 

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,535 of 2,828

Quote:
Hey guys, 

Thx for your help!

IMHO, the mic just sucks. I am probably going to purchase the new mic cable if/when it is released. Far worse quality than the mic in my iPhone or the one on my stock Apple headphones.

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #1,536 of 2,828
Hi guys, thx for the info.

That sucks.. i was looking forward to using this headphone with gaming and also talking on the phone as well as with music. A bad mic can be an issue. wonder if I should wait longer until the new models come packed with the newer, better mic cables? Wonder how long that will take?

I went to audition them yesterday and I liked what I heard. The mids were some of the best I've heard for anything $200 and under. They had great clarity and a very nice balance of tone between the low, mid and high's for me. My only "small" complaint is to my ears, the bass, although present in quantity, doesn't seem to have quite the definition/detail of my other headphones in the same price range. Something about the bass quality just seems a "tad" off to my ears. Just my opinion though. But overall, I really like these headphones. I would personally take them over my hd25. And imo, it's right up there as the two best "on ears" along with the dt1350. Overall, great sound. =D

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,537 of 2,828

Quote:

That sucks.. i was looking forward to using this headphone with gaming and also talking on the phone as well as with music. A bad mic can be an issue. wonder if I should wait longer until the new models come packed with the newer, better mic cables? Wonder how long that will take?

I went to audition them yesterday and I liked what I heard. The mids were some of the best I've heard for anything $200 and under. They had great clarity and a very nice balance of tone between the low, mid and high's for me. My only "small" complaint is to my ears, the bass, although present in quantity, doesn't seem to have quite the definition/detail of my other headphones in the same price range. Something about the bass quality just seems a "tad" off to my ears. Just my opinion though. But overall, I really like these headphones. I would personally take them over my hd25. And imo, it's right up there as the two best "on ears" along with the dt1350. Overall, great sound. =D

MIC
The new white model has new "speak easy" mics, we split up the mic from the controls to minimize cable noise and optimized the filters (they had a lengthy divorce).  We are shipping the White M-80s in a few weeks and we are building the cables right now for purchase seperately.  For early adopter M-80 owners, I'll come up with a fair deal to get them.  I literally can walk down 5th Ave NYC with Taxis honking and it sounds great on the other end and SIRI works.

BEST ON EARS
From a consumer and pro perspective, I AGREE. I've used most on-ears now thoroughly and in our labs, personally I feel the Beyer is the closest to M-80 and my second favorite on-ear.  How has Dt1350 fared lately, I haven't followed the thread.    In fact, we didn't own a DT1350 until after M-80 mass production.  DT1350 has a bit of a spike in the highs, but less than HD25.  I prefer M-80's clamping force to most on-ears, but I understand where more clamping force is handy (such as when DJIng).

Don't get too "high",  >8kHz
V-MODA's sound signature is to have a very flat 8+ kHz as we are also heavily promoting our earplugs so we never boost the highs and have resisted since our very first product. This helps you also listen a bit louder and for longer for modern-mastered music (that can get higher than older recordings).  You can see M-80's response curve compared to others @ V-MODA.com/M-80

Have a great Sunday!

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #1,538 of 2,828

Quote:

IMHO, the mic just sucks. I am probably going to purchase the new mic cable if/when it is released. Far worse quality than the mic in my iPhone or the one on my stock Apple headphones.

FYI, the mic in all 3-button remotes for Apple IS the same by Knowles.  But we improved everything else significantly and I can't wait for your feedback.  I do admit, the mic performance surpassing the very good stock iPhone earbuds was probably M-80's only achilles heel and our team has worked very hard to focus specifically on the mic.  It's just so important with modern usage patterns, iPad 3 dictation, SIRI and Android/Windows voice to text.  Can't wait for your feedback!

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #1,539 of 2,828
Got my White M-80's yesterday and I have to say that they are freaking beautiful.  Can't say too much about sound quality yet, cus I've gotta break em in, but I do have a comment on the new speakeasy mics though.

I was walking through Chinatown in NYC and for people who don't know the area, very noisy, very crowded, and my mom could hear me perfectly on the other line, so i am very happy with the new design. Having the mic nice and close to my mouth is working perfectly.

On a side note, I was looking forward to the audio-only cable and fader vips that Val mentioned as part of the VTF promo, but they didn't come with the M-80s, so I'm just wondering what happened to them

I can't wait to rock my M-80s around MIT though (my college).

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,541 of 2,828
Quote:
...and we are building the cables right now for purchase seperately.  For early adopter M-80 owners, I'll come up with a fair deal to get them.

That's awesome news! If the price (and color
wink.gif
) is right, I'll be sure pick one up for my Shadow M-80.

Quote:
I literally can walk down 5th Ave NYC with Taxis honking and it sounds great on the other end and SIRI works.

Quote:
I do admit, the mic performance surpassing the very good stock iPhone earbuds was probably M-80's only achilles heel and our team has worked very hard to focus specifically on the mic.  It's just so important with modern usage patterns...

On the topic of Achilles' heels...have you not had an issue with wind noise on your out-and-about excursions through the streets of New York? I find it quite problematic for outdoor use. Can I assume there's been no emphasis on addressing this with the M-100?

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #1,542 of 2,828

Quote:

MIC
The new white model has new "speak easy" mics, we split up the mic from the controls to minimize cable noise and optimized the filters (they had a lengthy divorce).  We are shipping the White M-80s in a few weeks and we are building the cables right now for purchase seperately.  For early adopter M-80 owners, I'll come up with a fair deal to get them.  I literally can walk down 5th Ave NYC with Taxis honking and it sounds great on the other end and SIRI works.

You could always put it with my M-80s when I finally get around sending them in for warranty lol, you could even exchange it for the one button lol.

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #1,543 of 2,828
Just ordered mine!  I can't wait for them to arrive. Hopefully, they'll be better ergonomically than the LPs - the headphones always clamped down too hard on the back of my ears, significantly hurting one particular ridge on my ear (antihelix) after less than an hour of usage. Far too short to listen to music, or do anything with them for that matter. I'm betting that on-ears will solve that issue.

Man, those white M80s look quite nice... they would clash horribly with all of my black electronics though ;P

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #1,544 of 2,828

Quote:
Got my White M-80's yesterday and I have to say that they are freaking beautiful.  Can't say too much about sound quality yet, cus I've gotta break em in, but I do have a comment on the new speakeasy mics though.

I was walking through Chinatown in NYC and for people who don't know the area, very noisy, very crowded, and my mom could hear me perfectly on the other line, so i am very happy with the new design. Having the mic nice and close to my mouth is working perfectly.

On a side note, I was looking forward to the audio-only cable and fader vips that Val mentioned as part of the VTF promo, but they didn't come with the M-80s, so I'm just wondering what happened to them

I can't wait to rock my M-80s around MIT though (my college).

Yeah I had the same problem as you mentioned, I PM'ed Val about it, still waiting on a response. I was looking forward to all the Audio Only Cable, 1/4" adapter, and Fader VIP's as they would all immensely help me as I DJ and can use them all while performing lol :p I'm sure he will fix the problem though!

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #1,545 of 2,828
Hey, all you lucky guys who got white M-80s. How about some pics? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back