V-MODA CROSSFADE M-80 AUDIO VOYAGE – Reviewers wanted!
Sep 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #211 of 467

Quote:
HD25-1 II and DT1350?

Those are hardly high end. They're mid-fi portables at best. 

High end portable is t5p, Ed. 8

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #212 of 467

Quote:
YES... Well, when these things take 5+ years to develop and quality engineer I have to test models that will come out years in advance, today.

It turned out LP became the most popular DJ headphone, however due to NOT having a breakable hinge and a flexible headband.  One thing that is constant, is change!  We do have a whole line of "pro-sumer" gear planned, LP and M-80 are the two first pieces but in fact another higher-end ($500-1k) product line developed BEFORE them has yet to launch.

Sweet!

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #213 of 467

Quote:
Those are hardly high end. They're mid-fi portables at best. 

High end portable is t5p, Ed. 8

But these V-Moda M80s are nowhere near the asking price of the Ed8 or T5p's as well. 230USD @ Amazon. If they're gonna be competing with the Ed8's at this price, V-Moda will run out of stock by the second....

Quote:
Since they went so far as to create a double diaphragm driver, I'd say it wouldn't surprise me that they are.

Dual diaphragm drivers are rather common already actually. Phiaton's headphone come to mind. As well as some vintage headphones of years past. Correct me if i'm wrong.

The V-M80's I really feel will compete strongly versus the HD25-I-II, T50p, DT1350, B&W p5 and ATH EW9

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #214 of 467

Quote:
I like the aesthetics of the LPs and M-80s, but they definitely don't have the "timeless" (AKA basic) designs of most other headphones. I wonder if V-MODA is going to stick with the angled look and attempt to create a standard, or if the designs will change every year or so (thereby creating limited runs which could increase value, as well as maintaining an eye-catching aesthetic for current products).

The V-MODA series of headphones will share a brand DNA like luxury car brands, they will always look different than other brands but differ slightly between products based on demographics and colors/materials/finishes.  I remember the first time I saw a Ford Taurus or the new Tahoe, it seemed radical at the time compared to others yet they are now very "old and basic".  My design philosophy is "ABCP", Anything But Circles and Plastic as well as constant innovation.  

We will create limited runs, but remember a great headphone often takes 3-5 years to develop to build consistently and not break.  That is why we put the Coliseum picture behind the M-80, as we say in the offices and labs "Rome Wasn't Built in a Day". Unique and quite timeless, also like '60s Vettes, Mustangs and Camaros!

Cheers and Happy 30th!

-V

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #215 of 467

Quote:

But these V-Moda M80s are nowhere near the asking price of the Ed8 or T5p's as well. 230USD @ Amazon. If they're gonna be competing with the Ed8's at this price, V-Moda will run out of stock by the second....

Dual diaphragm drivers are rather common already actually. Phiaton's headphone come to mind. As well as some vintage headphones of years past. Correct me if i'm wrong.

The V-M80's I really feel will compete strongly versus the HD25-I-II, T50p, DT1350, B&W p5 and ATH EW9

Agreed, M-80/V-80 is our high-end on-ear.  We will also offer high-end >$300 over-ears down the road, they've been in development for longer than M-80 in fact.  But, M-80 is an excellent compact and mobile headphone whose peers are the aforementioned but I have not used any other IEM or Over-Ear since they came out except for when I DJ.

The driver design is unique and patent-pending...  

PS - They have actually sold out already!  We have some on hand, but we have more orders than product. 

-v

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #216 of 467

Quote:

Dual drivers are common, not so sure about dual diaphragm. I own both the Phiaton PS320 and Panasonic RP-HT970 and they are dual driver in coaxial configuration. The Panasonic RP-HV600 earbuds I have is true single driver dual diaphragm, but it is rare design even back in its days. There is also fused dual diaphragm in a single speaker unit which I forget where I saw the information.

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #217 of 467

Quote:

The V-MODA series of headphones will share a brand DNA like luxury car brands, they will always look different than other brands but differ slightly between products based on demographics and colors/materials/finishes.  I remember the first time I saw a Ford Taurus or the new Tahoe, it seemed radical at the time compared to others yet they are now very "old and basic".  My design philosophy is "ABCP", Anything But Circles and Plastic as well as constant innovation.  

We will create limited runs, but remember a great headphone often takes 3-5 years to develop to build consistently and not break.  That is why we put the Coliseum picture behind the M-80, as we say in the offices and labs "Rome Wasn't Built in a Day". Unique and quite timeless, also like '60s Vettes, Mustangs and Camaros!

Cheers and Happy 30th!

-V

To be honest, I really like the way the M-80's look, but I would have preferred a more basic, subtle look for a portable phone. That's why I chose the TMA-1 over the M-80. The M-80 could be mistaken for a Beats headphone by random person, and while I normally don't care what people think about what I wear/use in public, there have been a lot of robberies/muggings in my area and would rather not have a pair of flashy headphones around my neck.

It seems silly to buy a headphone based on looks, but I've already been mugged once and I'd rather not have it happen again...

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #219 of 467
Valkolton, First off thanks for the opportunity. Could you enlighten us on what devices are you targeting this to be used with ? Phones/ tablets/ dedicated-music-players given that not all of them are made equal. For example some cans sound good with Samsung Galaxies (tablets) and the same sound not-so-good on the Galaxy (phones), HTCs have a different sound than Sonys .. So, the question is - have you tuned the VM CFM-80s to a particular device/set of devices ?

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #220 of 467
Regarding the period of time, I have just been told that I will not have internet access for the LAST week in September (23-29) due to internet reinstallation both on campus and at home (blame China). Will this preclude me from the sweepstakes? I will not be able to access internet anywhere else.

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #221 of 467
Valkolton, good to hear all the updates and I'm sure I speak on behalf of all who entered when I say that we look forward to seeing who managed to luck out.

It's also good to hear that your line is getting popular. A question though, not too urgent but just curious; for users who aren't picked to receive a review model, you mentioned that you'd provide them with a code for a name/logo.

Are there any specifics/restrictions on adding a name or a logo? I've seen how they kind of look on the main website, but just was wondering if there were any real restrictions to it, or could we possibly just end up throwing in some random images. (I.E. The Following Picture)

Words cannot express how awesome it would be to have the shields be customized with this meme.

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #222 of 467

Quote:
Well I figure after Hakai's second post up there, I might as well put in with my few posts. Although my post count isn't huge, I do spend a fair amount of time here reading.

Hey, don't knock my post count! I spend my time here reading and learning; I figure it's fairly pointless to post for posting's sake, so I only post (on any forums I use) if I have something to contribute to a discussion, or a question to ask. All my questions here so far already have answers posted, and while I'm not an idiot, I'm definitely not an experienced enough hand to be joining in discussions just yet :p.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #223 of 467

Quote:
Hey, don't knock my post count! I spend my time here reading and learning; I figure it's fairly pointless to post for posting's sake, so I only post (on any forums I use) if I have something to contribute to a discussion, or a question to ask. All my questions here so far already have answers posted, and while I'm not an idiot, I'm definitely not an experienced enough hand to be joining in discussions just yet :p.

I'm 2nd this. I come to to site so much. LOL Also, Thank you valkolton. Also, thank you Head-Fi for this great site.

M

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #224 of 467

Quote:
Valkolton, First off thanks for the opportunity. Could you enlighten us on what devices are you targeting this to be used with ? Phones/ tablets/ dedicated-music-players given that not all of them are made equal. For example some cans sound good with Samsung Galaxies (tablets) and the same sound not-so-good on the Galaxy (phones), HTCs have a different sound than Sonys .. So, the question is - have you tuned the VM CFM-80s to a particular device/set of devices ?

Well, in principle, headphones are supposed to be paired with neutral sources. If a source is colored, it's flawed, even of in purpose. Only the last link in your chain - in this case, your headphones - should be colored, if you want it. Of course, equalizing headphones with a good equalizer is also fine. Lots of people like pairing, for example, a bright set of cans with a warm amp/source so it gives out a balanced sound, but ideally your source/amp should be neutral, i.e. it's FR graph should be a flat line.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #225 of 467
As a previous owner of the V-Moda Vibes (second generation), I am really glad that V-Moda has been putting more research into the durability of their products. I had my Vibes for about a year before the cable connection between the cable and the 3.5mm jack lost its connection. My current Sennheiser HD 238's have the same type of cable-jack connection and I hope the same fate doesn't happen to them.

It's really incredible to see how many drops, cable bends, and 'squashed' headbands the Crossfade M-80's can withstand. On top of that, they have the 45 degree angled jack as a compromise between a 90 degree jack and the 180 degree jack. I look for durability in the headphones I buy and I look forward to seeing how well these hold up (of course I also look forward to hearing how they sound). I have always found the V-Moda products to be beautifully crafted (which is what led me into the Vibes) and each time they released a new product I would say "wow, those are bold and absolutely stunning!"

As a lot of others have said already, thank you Valkolton for allowing us Head-Fiers to have such a wonderful opportunity to give your new headphones a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back