V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Jun 26, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #977 of 1,668
Interested in getting new, higher quality cans, wireless, and good sound is important to me. So after researching various headphones, I shortlisted to the QC35, the CF2W, B&W P7 Wireless.

I was about to select v-moda, but since I use an iPhone so AAC codec matters to me.

Get the B&W P7, MDR-1000X, or wait for the new Momentum in 2018 (and possibly new and better Bluetooth headphones)

Jun 28, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #978 of 1,668
It is, ALAC files + AAC makes a difference. I think I'll go with the P7 wireless. I liked the design and foldability better on the v-moda too bad
FWIW the P7W betters the C2W in just about every way. They're not even in the same ballpark. Haven't heard the Sony, but I have tried the Bose and again, the P7W is head and shoulders ahead in every respect (other than active NC of course). Naturally that's just my opinion, but I used to be a fan of V-Moda for their bass until I heard what bass should sound like with the B&Ws. That and the fact that after owning headphones as well built and luxurious as the P7, you just don't want to buy plastic any more. Again, my opinion. We're certainly spoiled for choice these days - but quality and class always shine through.

PS. you may have read exactly what I think of V-Moda for falsely advertising AAC support in the original CW and then silently "dropping" it in the C2W, but that has nothing to do with my comparisons above.

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #979 of 1,668
Get the B&W P7, MDR-1000X, or wait for the new Momentum in 2018 (and possibly new and better Bluetooth headphones)

Yeah there's a lot of headphone options coming out with better wireless performance all the time. I just Backed a crazy Kickstarter set called the Ora GrapheneQ which seems very promising.

The other wireless headphones which I'm anticipating after ruling out the VModa and BLue Satellite are actually the likely Beats Studio 3. It appears that Beats has improved SQ with the Solo series so a likely scenario for the studio series update to include with W1 (AAC), Built in Amp, ANC and Over-Ear design has my imagination running.

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #980 of 1,668
Yeah there's a lot of headphone options coming out with better wireless performance all the time. I just Backed a crazy Kickstarter set called the Ora GrapheneQ which seems very promising.

The other wireless headphones which I'm anticipating after ruling out the VModa and BLue Satellite are actually the likely Beats Studio 3. It appears that Beats has improved SQ with the Solo series so a likely scenario for the studio series update to include with W1 (AAC), Built in Amp, ANC and Over-Ear design has my imagination running.

It's been almost four years since the current Studio model was released, Studio 3.0 should be one of the best-sounding wireless headphones on the market if Beats' upward trajectory is any indication. I think they'll beat the MDR-1000x and and QC35.

Jul 4, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #981 of 1,668
It's been almost four years since the current Studio model was released, Studio 3.0 should be one of the best-sounding wireless headphones on the market if Beats' upward trajectory is any indication. I think they'll beat the MDR-1000x and and QC35.
Hopefully they put an emphasis on build quality this time around. No more of that plastic please.

Jul 4, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #982 of 1,668
Hopefully they put an emphasis on build quality this time around. No more of that plastic please.

The current Studio literally has tens of thousands of build quality complaints so I'm sure that's one of their priorities. They'll probably keep using plastic to keep it lightweight but hopefully we get some Apple touches like aluminum.

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #983 of 1,668
If we're gonna derail into Beats Studio 3.0 speculation, we might want a new thread... but since the V-Moda founder abandoned the conversation, what the hey:

In terms of build, I'd definitely expect an upgrade over the Solo3. Which is a nice set of cans, from what I hear.

I'd expect the new Studio to improve on the (old) 2.0 in almost every respect. Sound quality, build, ANC performance, battery and range (W1).

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #984 of 1,668
If we're gonna derail into Beats Studio 3.0 speculation, we might want a new thread... but since the V-Moda founder abandoned the conversation, what the hey:

In terms of build, I'd definitely expect an upgrade over the Solo3. Which is a nice set of cans, from what I hear.

I'd expect the new Studio to improve on the (old) 2.0 in almost every respect. Sound quality, build, ANC performance, battery and range (W1).

I'm not ashamed to admit that the reasons I haven't jumped on the recent Audeze Sine and HD-6xx deals are that I'm waiting to see what comes out this fall. I figure if I'm using Apple Music then I'll be getting the same experience with AAC wirelessly so buying another wired pair may be unnecessary.

I'm highly anticipating the Studio Wireless since I believe the Solo3 does a lot of things very well, including the best imaging I've heard (RTings rates their imaging on-par with the HD800S). I do think Beats/Apple has potential to finally make an excellent over-ear headphone. We will see.

Seeing as this is a V-MODA discussion, I do still miss my V-MODA but competition will be fierce this holiday season.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #985 of 1,668
I'm not ashamed to admit that the reasons I haven't jumped on the recent Audeze Sine and HD-6xx deals are that I'm waiting to see what comes out this fall. I figure if I'm using Apple Music then I'll be getting the same experience with AAC wirelessly so buying another wired pair may be unnecessary.

I'm highly anticipating the Studio Wireless since I believe the Solo3 does a lot of things very well, including the best imaging I've heard (RTings rates their imaging on-par with the HD800S). I do think Beats/Apple has potential to finally make an excellent over-ear headphone. We will see.

Seeing as this is a V-MODA discussion, I do still miss my V-MODA but competition will be fierce this holiday season.

Yeah, I just backed the Ora headphones & doubt they'll have enough Kickstarter funds to add ANC. Those will be my audiophile over ears with the bonus that they're wireless, like the Crossfade 2. Less gym friendly though.

If I'm going to drop the coin on the
Beats Studio 3, it would have to be on par with the latest from Bose and Sony for ANC And have some of the best traditional dynamic driver sound available from the Sony, Bose or Blue. Basically, I'd hope they achieve what I was imagining the Blue Satellite would be like.

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #987 of 1,668
Last week I received a free pair of Beats Solo 3 (back-to-school promotion at Apple.com) and it really opened my eyes on what one should expect from a pair of bluetooth headphones. And it really shined a light on how far behind the curve V-moda is. Battery life, codec support, listening distance etc are all sub-par on the CF2W. Much to my surprise, the Beats actually sound better (wireless, not wired). V-moda deserves all the knocks they're getting for this release. They had a chance for a do-over on the CFW, and they fumbled it.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #988 of 1,668
Last week I received a free pair of Beats Solo 3 (back-to-school promotion at Apple.com) and it really opened my eyes on what one should expect from a pair of bluetooth headphones. And it really shined a light on how far behind the curve V-moda is. Battery life, codec support, listening distance etc are all sub-par on the CF2W. Much to my surprise, the Beats actually sound better (wireless, not wired). V-moda deserves all the knocks they're getting for this release. They had a chance for a do-over on the CFW, and they fumbled it.
Out of curiosity, what is your music source/lossy codec that this music is coming from? I don't like to use Bluetooth, so I'm not coming with a bias towards a specific codec, just looking to see if Beats is still performing really well in Non ACC as well

Jul 20, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #990 of 1,668
So you are AAC heavy. With that being the case, the Beats are definitely better for you. V-Moda isn't the only company not catering to AAC, though. The Sennheiser M2 doesn't have support for AAC either. If you are an Apple guy, and Bluetooth is what you are free, then Beats is the way to go IMO. Thankfully I do neither. Love my CF2W wired....for portable use anyway. Yes, not catering to AAC limits the advanced use for a large number of headphones users that are IOS people, at the same time, a large number of those individuals know nothing about audio codecs. At the same time, a large number of those know nothing other than Beats either. I think that was a bit of a hard decision, but I do agree that all colors should have had AptX. Still grabbed the all black, and I keep thinking charged, but plan to almost never use the function. New question. Do you enjoy the Solo 3? Not a fan of on ear. Had the XS for a good amount of time. Once I tried over ear, couldn't go back. My ears lay off my head, so on ear is extra pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back