V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Jun 13, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #948 of 1,668
Pretty big pricing mistake at Amazon right now. Rose Gold, Black and White are all being sold for 269 dollars from a third party and price-matched by Amazon. Ordered a Rose Gold because why the hell not.
Mind if I post your find in the Deals Discussion thread?

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #950 of 1,668
How good, or bad, is the wired performance of the Solo 3?

Here's the jam with the Solo3: it's not meant to be a wired headphone that you plug into a tube amplifier, listen to lossless music, and appreciate every nuance. What it is is a great-sounding wireless headphone with a solid design.

They sound better, maybe even significantly so to my ears, in wireless mode. Punchier bass, less-fatiguing treble, better instrument separation. It's like Apple put a quality DAC/amp in these that improves the sound. Which is great because there's no compression whatsoever.

If you're debating one or the other, I'd use the V-MODA in wired mode and Solo3 as a wireless headphone which I do with my Momentum 2.0 now.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #951 of 1,668
Pretty big pricing mistake at Amazon right now. Rose Gold, Black and White are all being sold for 269 dollars from a third party and price-matched by Amazon. Ordered a Rose Gold because why the hell not.

Good price for the CF2W. Ultimately I've A/B'd aptX and AAC with a Klipsch KMC3 speaker and also have experience with aptX on the Momentum 2.0 Wireless (they sound significantly better wired through USB... even with AAC files), and aptX isn't a great codec IMO. Apple has had a perfect wireless solution for years with iTunes/Apple Music and AAC. I don't want minimal compression which is still noticeable to me, I want no compression.

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #952 of 1,668
Good price for the CF2W. Ultimately I've A/B'd aptX and AAC with a Klipsch KMC3 speaker and also have experience with aptX on the Momentum 2.0 Wireless (they sound significantly better wired through USB... even with AAC files), and aptX isn't a great codec IMO. Apple has had a perfect wireless solution for years with iTunes/Apple Music and AAC. I don't want minimal compression which is still noticeable to me, I want no compression.
I'll definitely check out the Solo 3s again when they hit 150-170 dollars, which they've been a couple times this year.

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #953 of 1,668
I'll definitely check out the Solo 3s again when they hit 150-170 dollars, which they've been a couple times this year.

There should be new Solo and new Studio headphones out in the fall. The headphone market is going to get crazy competitive with great wireless headphones. I'm expecting the new Studio to sound significantly better than the current 2013 model, so audiophile brands are going to have some real competition from previously-mediocre brands like Beats, and even Bose is significantly improving.

Jun 13, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #954 of 1,668
What a strange turn...
rose.jpg

Jun 13, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #957 of 1,668
It's because the $329.99 is third party pricing (Amazon is out of those colors) and $269.99 is Amazon's price. Which I'd jump on if it had AAC :).

I know that's a brand new point for this thread :p.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #958 of 1,668
Hi,

i received my rose gold model yesterday but i have some trouble using them on my macbook retina. Im watching some youtube videos and get some glitches and jumping in sound and sometimes the sound repeats very fast and i have to stop and play the video. Anyone else ? What can it be?

UPDATE: I realised it happens more more often when Im watching a youtube video and scrolling on another tab.

Update II: i updated my mac os and the problem was fixed!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #959 of 1,668
Sorry I haven't been around; life be crazy.

Interesting! Do you own both the Meze 99 Classics and the CF2W? How close do they compare?

The Meze gives more treble and soundstage. My younger bro was playing around when I was out and about and said he had sort of a hard time discerning the differences. Of course, he doesn't have my hearing *bragging*....

Keep in mind that's with those larger new pads for the Meze 99 and the XL pads for the V-Moda. I might pad flip and see how the sound turns out then.

The CF2W are an impressive headphone. The Meze 99 Classics are an impressive headphone.

It is certainly, IMO, the best sounding V-MODA yet. The house sound is there(V-MODA bass) but there are a wee bit of pushed forward mids and a nicely extended treble. On first listen(trial in a store) they would sound closer to the V-MODA offerings of the past, but with a little time as your brain adjusts you definitely hear the differences. I love both of the headphones you are interested in. From portability standpoint the CF2W get my nod. I am not a real fan of the styling of the Meze, never exercise or walk the dog with them, but this is just my own taste. The sound of the 99 Classics is great and I prefer the styling of the 99 Neo over the 99 Classics, but the headband contraption isn't my thing on either model. No Bluetooth on Meze, and apt-X only available in Rose Gold Cf2W.

You know what the funny thing is? I sometimes find the CF2W slightly more "neutral" than the Meze. I mean, of course neither are really neutral.

Oh, and I know the great debate about APTX vs. AAC...I'm using them 99% wired. Am I doing it wrong? Lol.

Lastly, I tried to return my initial headest and get in on that glitch price of the rose gold. Just as I was about to send it off Amazon changed the price back to $350. Derp. Oh well. I

Users who are viewing this thread

Back