V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 21, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #737 of 1,668

I only own the Crossfade 2 and never heard the m100 or the cfw1 but from some reviews and what users are saying on here is that the CFW2 has less bass than the m100 but has better and less boomy bass.

"better" is pretty subjective in this case. It depends --- do you like your bass moar and boomy? That's "better" then in the M100. Do you like it less bassy but more tight and accurate? That would be "better" in the CF II.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #738 of 1,668
  My buddy just got a rose gold pair, but he said the MF button is stuck and the speakers "pop" when there is a bit of suction from the seal.  He also said the right speaker has a much more sensitive/louder "pop" or "crackle" and is not as loud as the left speaker.  Needless to say, he is returning them (Amazon).  Anyone else experiencing this or other build quality issues?

Curious how this return is going for for your friend as I am getting the silent treatment from V-Moda.

I too purchased through Amazon (fulfilled by V-Moda Direct) and started the return process over 5 days ago.  Amazon typically has stellar customer service but, in this case I unfortunately get re-routed to V-Moda Direct. 

To date I've got zero response to three emails and two voicemail messages, hardly 6 star customer service!

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #739 of 1,668
Curious how this return is going for for your friend as I am getting the silent treatment from V-Moda.

I too purchased through Amazon (fulfilled by V-Moda Direct) and started the return process over 5 days ago.  Amazon typically has stellar customer service but, in this case I unfortunately get re-routed to V-Moda Direct. 

To date I've got zero response to three emails and two voicemail messages, hardly 6 star customer service!

What's the reason for your return, if you don't mind me asking?

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #741 of 1,668
I'm comparing the CF II with my ATH-m40x, and like I said, they're pretty similar generally speaking. Some differences:

m40x has a bigger soundstage, less "in your face".
m40x is a bit thinner sound, less thick. m40x has less bass impact as well. Drums sound less intense.
m40x is less exciting, it's more laid back. It doesn't have the "drive" or the gallop that the CF II has.
m40x is slightly better at detail retrieval
m40x is a bit cooler in tonality, not as warm

So overall, pretty similar in general even with the (minor) differences you can hear. Both headphones are great and offer wonderful sound. Worth the $80 (ATH) vs $355 (V-Moda)? Not to me. But I'm very much enjoying the V-Moda while I listen. They've burned in really nicely and some of the brightness I mentioned earlier seems to have worn off.

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #742 of 1,668

Out of curiosity, why are you returning it?  Did you have a defective pair as well?  If so, what was the defect?

As far as returns, it was no problem.  Although it was sold by  V-Moda Direct, it was Prime and fulfilled by Amazon.  He printed the label at home and dropped it off at UPS and was "Refunded" (the funds will show in 3-5 business days).

I also ordered via Amazon Prime as well.  I almost never order non-Prime 3rd parties for fear of return issues.

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #743 of 1,668
The ideal way to order off of Amazon is to buy from V-moda, but fulfilled by Amazon. When you do it that way, all of Amazon's return policies apply. No need to contact V-moda in that case. Other upside to that is you pay no tax.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #744 of 1,668
is that true that the crossfade2 has less bass than the m100?

I only own the Crossfade 2 and never heard the m100 or the cfw1 but from some reviews and what users are saying on here is that the CFW2 has less bass than the m100 but has better and less boomy bass.

"better" is pretty subjective in this case. It depends --- do you like your bass moar and boomy? That's "better" then in the M100. Do you like it less bassy but more tight and accurate? That would be "better" in the CF II.

I don't think the posters made asked any questions about "better" but more about quantity of bass. I've passed my M-100 to my brother-in-law so any opinions I have on the M-100 would be based on memory or the review I wrote few years back. I do have the CFW1 (pre-prod?) and for a while I did have the CFW1 & M-100 overlap and from my memory the CFW1 was more tonally balanced giving the perception there was less bass. I can't remember if there really was less bass in terms of dB.

Comparing the CFW1 and my newly received CFW2, I find the CFW2 aims to be more neutral. I don't know if I'd say that the CFW2 has less bass than the CFW1. However the transition from bass to midrange, in the CFW2 seems to be more flat/neutral than the CFW1. The CFW1 seems to be a more midrange lean therefore the difference in transition from bass to midrange is more apparent - give in the impression CFW1 has more bass and the CFW2 to be more bass lean. But again, I've not listened/compared enough to determine if in terms of absolute dB, that the CFW2 has less bass.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #745 of 1,668
i have a very important question about this screwed on plasticthings on the side that is between the headband and the earcups, i do not find any replacements on the official website, its the only thing that gets broken over the time, but i dont know where to get these and a new headphone makes no sense in that case.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #746 of 1,668
  i have a very important question about this screwed on plasticthings on the side that is between the headband and the earcups, i do not find any replacements on the official website, its the only thing that gets broken over the time, but i dont know where to get these and a new headphone makes no sense in that case.

That broke for me as well (funny despite all the "built as a tank" claims), but I've just send my pair back for repairs and they did fine.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #747 of 1,668
Just got a question. They spoke about their new cushions. How do they perform VS the XL cushions?

What's the best in terms of comfort and sound quality ? Keeping CFW2 Cushions or using the XL Cushions?

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #748 of 1,668
As far as returns, it was no problem.  Although it was sold by  V-Moda Direct, it was Prime and fulfilled by Amazon.  He printed the label at home and dropped it off at UPS and was "Refunded" (the funds will show in 3-5 business days).

Exactly what I did (order via Amazon Prime) except my return request somehow got routed back to V-Moda and not Amazon. I can't print the label until V-Moda acknowledges the request and they just will not respond.

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #749 of 1,668
Just got a question. They spoke about their new cushions. How do they perform VS the XL cushions?

What's the best in terms of comfort and sound quality ? Keeping CFW2 Cushions or using the XL Cushions?
believed I mentioned this previously. Though the XL pads are deeper, the CF2W pads are better and more comfortable. To get added ear clearance, cut an Ethernet cable and stuff it under the inside of the pad. These are true memory foam as the XL pads lose their shape quickly and compress. As far as sound goes, not much of a difference IMO. My ears stick out away from my head, so I prefer a deeper pad, hence the need for the mod. Even with the depth deficit, I prefer the feel of the CF2W pads to the XL pads, for now.

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #750 of 1,668

Exactly what I did (order via Amazon Prime) except my return request somehow got routed back to V-Moda and not Amazon. I can't print the label until V-Moda acknowledges the request and they just will not respond.

What was wrong with the headphones?  Just curious.  Trying to see if there is a build issue trend.

Weird.  I would double check the order details and see if it has a "Return eligible through" date shown.  If not, then it would appear it went straight to a 3rd party order.  I would dispute if it was in fact Prime and got rerouted.  Either that, or you may have accidentally added one of the "Other Sellers" to your cart. :xf_eek:

I don't think the posters made asked any questions about "better" but more about quantity of bass. I've passed my M-100 to my brother-in-law so any opinions I have on the M-100 would be based on memory or the review I wrote few years back. I do have the CFW1 (pre-prod?) and for a while I did have the CFW1 & M-100 overlap and from my memory the CFW1 was more tonally balanced giving the perception there was less bass. I can't remember if there really was less bass in terms of dB.

Comparing the CFW1 and my newly received CFW2, I find the CFW2 aims to be more neutral. I don't know if I'd say that the CFW2 has less bass than the CFW1. However the transition from bass to midrange, in the CFW2 seems to be more flat/neutral than the CFW1. The CFW1 seems to be a more midrange lean therefore the difference in transition from bass to midrange is more apparent - give in the impression CFW1 has more bass and the CFW2 to be more bass lean. But again, I've not listened/compared enough to determine if in terms of absolute dB, that the CFW2 has less bass.

I totally agree with your sentiment on the bass.  There is definitely less bloat and the bass is tighter.  The mid-bass bleed has been addressed, which makes it appear as if there's "less bass", which may be technically true if measured, but overall, the quality/quantity ratio is sufficient for near-bassheads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back