V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 19, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #646 of 1,668

I also have the MDR-1000X and chose them over the CF2W because of ANC.  I use them primarily on the train.  How is the passive isolation of the CF2W compared to the ANC of the MDR-1000X?  (I'm aware that the Sony will be far more isolating, but if the CF2W can come somewhat close to that while offering noticeably better sound it might be worth it)

I probably shouldn't speculate and just let someone who has them answer, but if the CF2W are like the M-100 in isolation, the 1000x is going to be a night/day difference.

At low volume I can uphold a conversation without removing my headphones (again, M-100 model) if this helps.

Edit: to get isolation to the point I hear nothing else.. anyone nearby knows exactly what im listening to.

I agree.  It's not going to be an alternative if you need ANC or come close to competing with the 1000X or QC35 in that regard.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #649 of 1,668

V-moda is shaping more to general consumer based than DJ based products.. So hopefully you're right and there will be ANC in some future V-modas.

Good ANC support is very hard to develop and all the good stuff is patented. Seeing as V-MODA is struggling with trying to keep prices low (CFW1 construction, CFW2 codecs), I don't think that will happen.

I'm sure nobody wants poor ANC performance (see any brand other than Bose and Sony).

In fact, if you want a good noise canceler and a generally great and very technical headphone, buy the MDR-1000X without any hesitations.

Another (maybe better) option is to get a custom in-ear monitor (Jerry Harvey for bassheads, Noble and UE for the rest of us) that will perform even better than ANC and be extremely comfortable. Lots of CIEM brands now have entry-level models (think $400-ish), and I can't recommend CIEMs enough for daily use and isolation.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #651 of 1,668
  Good ANC support is very hard to develop and all the good stuff is patented. Seeing as V-MODA is struggling with trying to keep prices low (CFW1 construction, CFW2 codecs), I don't think that will happen.

I'm sure nobody wants poor ANC performance (see any brand other than Bose and Sony).

In fact, if you want a good noise canceler and a generally great and very technical headphone, buy the MDR-1000X without any hesitations.

Another (maybe better) option is to get a custom in-ear monitor (Jerry Harvey for bassheads, Noble and UE for the rest of us) that will perform even better than ANC and be extremely comfortable. Lots of CIEM brands now have entry-level models (think $400-ish), and I can't recommend CIEMs enough for daily use and isolation.

I agree, I was just responding to the other posters comment about that :)  ANC is no necessity for me, I could care less if the rest of the Bus  is forced to listen to what I am.. sorry I am that guy  lol

Edit: in thought you are right... all these other companys are all plastic housing and such, cost cutting in other places than the internals (hmmm.. that doesn't sound v-moda to me. what the heck)

I am still on the fence on an upgrade, love the recent impressions being given but.. everytime I think about it, I hug my m-100s for the treasonous thoughts (joke)

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #652 of 1,668

V-moda is shaping more to general consumer based than DJ based products.. So hopefully you're right and there will be ANC in some future V-modas.

Actually that isn't new. I believe ever since the M-80 in 2011 and M-100 in 2012, they've been growing in the consumer base so by now 6 years later, I would say they have already shaped up in the consumer base.

Although not in the Sony/Audio-Technica level yet in terms of consumer popularity space in Japan, I've actually seen more and more folks wearing V-Moda in the streets. Having the Ayumi Hamasaki limited release has also helped propelling its name here. I can't speak for other countries as I've not travelled much in recent years.

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #653 of 1,668
Interestingly, Best Buy has them in stock online and at my local store. Would definitely be interested in a test drive if that means they have a demo... I had to exchange a defective cable anyway so I'll head over there sometime soon and check.

So the page at Best Buy says: "Not Available" at my local store for pickup. It's 10:06 pm CST. But then when you "Check Nearby Stores", the same location comes up with "Available Tomorrow. Only a Few Left! Buy now to reserve."  .....What???? If they actually have these on sale or available at this location, I may fall over dead. (because my Best Buy is seriously a craphole when it comes to the Magnolia headphone selection and actually working demo/kiosk station. It may as well not even exist for all practical intents and purposes)

ALSO: The Best Buy description states: "The Qualcomm aptX audio codec and 50mm drivers create optimal sound, and premium padded ear cushions keep you comfortable as you listen. These V-Moda Crossfade 2 wireless headphones connect up to 33 feet from your device for freedom of movement." These are the black version.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #654 of 1,668

So the page at Best Buy says: "Not Available" at my local store for pickup. It's 10:06 pm CST. But then when you "Check Nearby Stores", the same location comes up with "Available Tomorrow. Only a Few Left! Buy now to reserve."  .....What???? If they actually have these on sale or available at this location, I may fall over dead. (because my Best Buy is seriously a craphole when it comes to the Magnolia headphone selection and actually working demo/kiosk station. It may as well not even exist for all practical intents and purposes)

ALSO: The Best Buy description states: "The Qualcomm aptX audio codec and 50mm drivers create optimal sound, and premium padded ear cushions keep you comfortable as you listen. These V-Moda Crossfade 2 wireless headphones connect up to 33 feet from your device for freedom of movement." These are the black version.

Good catch. The boxes for the matte black and white originally had aptX badges on them so it must have been a last-minute decision to only offer it on the rose gold.

I'd check the actual store. I live in a fairly decent area and the Magnolia display at my local store doesn't function at all either, but I figured maybe they setup a separate demo for these.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #655 of 1,668
The other way around. If you send — or — record a video cutting the wires off your CFW1 mentioning the date, time and your email address, you will get a coupon for 50% off the price of CFW1 ($150 at the moment).

This is my situation, actually. Until I learned the damn thing can't do iPhones properly :)

How to access the wire to cut?

Also stupid question: to use balanced cable on these, does the wire need to be cut?

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #656 of 1,668
Good catch. The boxes for the matte black and white originally had aptX badges on them so it must have been a last-minute decision to only offer it on the rose gold.

I'd check the actual store. I live in a fairly decent area and the Magnolia display at my local store doesn't function at all either, but I figured maybe they setup a separate demo for these.

I will go first thing in morning before work to see what they have. I may walk out with a pair. I have their credit card which I irr--- um, responsibly use. Yeah.

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #657 of 1,668
How to access the wire to cut?

Also stupid question: to use balanced cable on these, does the wire need to be cut?

Okay, I guess my initial post caused some confusion, let me re-do it.

How to get 50% off when upgrading to a new V-MODA headphone

0. You can get 50% off the listing price for your current headphone. That said, if you're buying something for $330, and you have a model that is listed on their site for $300, you can get $150 off if you contact the support and do everything right.
1. You can send your headphone to them (their repair/return address on the site). This way, you will pay for shipment via mail. You may save the shell and some accessories for yourself, I guess.
2. If you don't want to wait and pay for shipment, you do the following. You start filming on your smartphone, open your V-MODA orders page on your PC and film your order number, order contents and your e-mail to prove your identity. Then, you take scissors and film yourself cutting two little wires that go from headband to each of the earcups. DON'T CUT THEM FIRST AND FILM LATER. Send the video to their support address asking for 50% off. 

If you have any questions, just contact their support. V-MODA support is really, really good when it comes to handling repairs, general or hardware questions, etc. I'm only mad because of the wireless conspiracy and poor service in that regard.

Apr 20, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #658 of 1,668

So the page at Best Buy says: "Not Available" at my local store for pickup. It's 10:06 pm CST. But then when you "Check Nearby Stores", the same location comes up with "Available Tomorrow. Only a Few Left! Buy now to reserve."  .....What????

Best Buy's website has been flaky for a while now.  I don't know what they did but I have been experiencing problems for the last few months.  I can't look at their weekly ads on my work computer (it says I'm using an old version of IE but I'm running the latest version of Chrome under Windows 7), it never remembers my login information, and I have issues trying to locate and order products for in-store pickup.  For example, the morning that Best Buy put the Nintendo Switch up for pre-order, I was able to add it to my cart and then I selected an in-store pickup.  It said I couldn't do that and the item was removed from my cart (instead of just sending me back to select shipping).  I was able to add the Switch to my cart again, I selected in-store pickup at a different store, and the same thing happened.  Whatever, I was pre-ordering and could still get it shipped to me so it arrived on launch day.  So I go to add the Switch back to my cart and it won't let me saying they're sold out.  I go through this process for a solid 10 minutes, I'm able to get to the payment page, and they boot me back saying there's something wrong with the stock of the unit I want.  I had to repeat the process a solid 30 times before, finally, their stupid website placed my order.  I ended up getting the Switch I wanted shipped to me so it arrived on launch day but it was a pain.

I've noticed that their website seems to act up more when new products are added.  It looks like the stores in my area (Indianapolis-Cincinnati-Louisville) will be getting the matte black versions in on the 22nd, there are only three stores that have them in-stock now (it says Available Today. Limited stock, buy now to reserve) and they're all about 70 miles apart from each another.  Just for kicks and giggles, I tried buying a pair and it gave me the same error as you saying that they are not available.  That's the same thing that happened when I tried to order the Switch.  My guess is that their system is messed up and most stores should be getting them in on Saturday.  Whether or not they will actually have them on display is another issue.  The Best Buy I always goes to only has Magnolia TV's, one projector, and 3-4 surround sound systems (with two sound bars) on display.  The other Best Buy I go to (closer to work) is in a more dilapidated area.  They only have JBL and Skullcandy headphones to actually try out.  The rest (including Beats and Bose) are behind glass displays.  All of the products are locked up in the back or are in white metal cages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back