V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Jul 22, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #1,456 of 1,668
VModa is one of the brands for me that's a red flag if someone likes them. All of the models I've tried have an overpowering bass response, to the point where it removes fidelity across the rest of the signal. I have a vivid memory of testing a Tool track on VModas (cause you know, bass-y testing, should be great), and almost not being able to hear the lyrics over the nasty overpowering bass. I've only tried two of the VModa cans though and wonder if there's a pair that doesn't ruin the bass response like the ones I've heard. I guess I should also mention that I'm the opposite of a bass head, too much bass and it ruins headphones for me in general.

Unrelated, ergonomically, next to designed-to-be-uncomfortable Grados, these are some of the most uncomfortable cans for me, which I usually find with these fake over-ear-on-ear types that pinch (like the momentum v1s)

So why the **** are you in this thread.

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #1,458 of 1,668
you're absolutely right, how dare i interrupt pages of discussion about audio codecs to ask a question about vmodas in a thread about vmodas!

You're not asking a question, you're just being uselessly negative about how you hate V-Modas. Saying you think enjoying the brand is a "red flag" is, appropriately, a red flag that someone is a troll. Congratulations, you hate everything about V-Moda, no one gives a crap.

Move along, little one, move along.

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #1,459 of 1,668
you're absolutely right, how dare i interrupt pages of discussion about audio codecs to ask a question about vmodas in a thread about vmodas!

Haha! Well, you'll have to take my words with a grain of salt, because I do happen to like a good amount of bass, but not to the extent that it muddies the midrange. My V-moda XS on-ears do not have overpowering bass, I'd say. I've found the CF2W to have fuller bass than the XS, but I also think it sounds cleaner/clearer overall with better separation. For reference, I have a pair of Hifiman HE400i that I consider to be pretty bass-anemic. I definitely need to EQ in some additional bass on those.

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #1,460 of 1,668
I received my Crossfade Wireless 2 Codex today and I found an immediate lack of treble with these. There is an excess of midbass as well but fortunatley I am using an Iphone X and a music player app called "Kaisertone" which has a good eq. Im up 7db at 16hz just to get some high end out of these cans!

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #1,461 of 1,668
I received my Crossfade Wireless 2 Codex today and I found an immediate lack of treble with these. There is an excess of midbass as well but fortunatley I am using an Iphone X and a music player app called "Kaisertone" which has a good eq. Im up 7db at 16hz just to get some high end out of these cans!
What other V-Moda headphones have you heard that you can provide a comparison to? i.e. have you heard the M100, or the other Crossfade Wireless 1 and Wireless 2 (pre-Codex)?

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #1,462 of 1,668
What other V-Moda headphones have you heard that you can provide a comparison to? i.e. have you heard the M100, or the other Crossfade Wireless 1 and Wireless 2 (pre-Codex)?
None. This is my first pair from V-Moda. Just for the record, here is a list of cans I have owned ( and a few I still have) where the treble needed no adjustment.
JBL Elite 750NC ( own)
B&O H9i & H9 (both sold)
Bose QC35 (sold)
Marshall Monitor Bluetooth (returned)
Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 (returned)
Sony WH-1000XM2 (returned)
Skull Candy Crushers (own)
B&W PX (sold)
Beats Solo 3 (sold)
Beats Studio 3 (returned)

So quite the collection, in the hunt for amazing Bluetooth Wireless Headphones!

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #1,463 of 1,668
None. This is my first pair from V-Moda. Just for the record, here is a list of cans I have owned ( and a few I still have) where the treble needed no adjustment.
JBL Elite 750NC ( own)
B&O H9i & H9 (both sold)
Bose QC35 (sold)
Marshall Monitor Bluetooth (returned)
Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 (returned)
Sony WH-1000XM2 (returned)
Skull Candy Crushers (own)
B&W PX (sold)
Beats Solo 3 (sold)
Beats Studio 3 (returned)

So quite the collection, in the hunt for amazing Bluetooth Wireless Headphones!
I haven't heard most of them....maybe the closest would be the Sony MDR-1000X which would be the precessor of the WH-1000XM2 I guess. I found the Sony's to be a little too digital and its NC to be a somewhat overly aggressive.

V-Moda in general does tend to have more bass warmth and trebles (whilst I won't say rolled off but) more tamed. It's not neutral by any means but a likeable signature. The Wireless range to my ears do have more trebles than the corded M100.

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #1,464 of 1,668
I am currently using the sony wh 1000xm2 to tell you the truth I am not blown away buy it sound wise, yes the noise cancelling is awesome and really works, but sound wise I prefer my Plantronics backbeats, it a more fun sound. backbeats are an underrated headphone imo with a lot of great features its just ugly as sin, I just brought a pair of vmoda crossfade wireless 2 rose gold codex, lets see if this satisfies my itch for good edm bass style headphones. I had earlier vmodas models in the past, pre wireless days and was happy with those, but once I went wireless I never looked back again. do you guys remember the logictec ue 9000 those had some beautiful juicy fat bass, they were ahead of its time, I couldn't take them off my ears they were so good, I am trying to find that feeling again I had with those. so is the the vmoda wireless 2 the best head phones for edm? if not what is? I like that fat juicy bass with a fun sound sig.

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #1,465 of 1,668
First post, so hopefully this is in the right place.

I just picked up a new matte black set of the V-Moda Crossfade 2 here in the UK. Literally the day I get them delivered, the Codex editions show up on a few sites for preorder. My question is, and given the support bods at V-Moda tell me* there are no other differences to the Codex editions other than the APTX and AAC inclusions (not even a BT revision bump from v3), is having the AAC worth returning the v2s and getting the Codexs?

My initial thought is no, as unless getting AAC from my iPhone is going to sound like angels whispering into my ears, spending a lot more is not worth it. I should add I mention only AAC, and the reason why I got the matte black versions rather than rose gold with APTX, is that I mainly use my iPhone as a source, so APTX is not a viable concern.

Any advice appreciated.

*I did read through most of this thread, so do understand what V-Moda say and what the truth turns out to be might be two different things.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #1,466 of 1,668
First post, so hopefully this is in the right place.

I just picked up a new matte black set of the V-Moda Crossfade 2 for £169 here in the UK. Literally the day I get them delivered, the Codex editions show up on a few sites for preorder at £309. My question is, and given the support bods at V-Moda tell me* there are no other differences to the Codex editions other than the APTX and AAC inclusions (not even a BT revision bump from v3), is having the AAC worth returning the v2s and getting the Codexs?

My initial thought is no, as unless getting AAC from my iPhone is going to sound like angels whispering into my ears, spending nearly x2 the cost is not worth it. I should add I mention only AAC, and the reason why I got the matte black versions rather than rose gold with APTX, is that I mainly use my iPhone as a source, so APTX is not a viable concern.

Any advice appreciated.

*I did read through most of this thread, so do understand what V-Moda say and what the truth turns out to be might be two different things.

If you can afford it, sure its probably worth the upgrade if you're going to keep them for a long time. If you tend to upgrade every year or two it might be worth just keeping what you have then using the immortal life to upgrade to cfw3 or whatever in the next few years. Do you like the sound you're getting now?

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #1,467 of 1,668
If you can afford it, sure its probably worth the upgrade if you're going to keep them for a long time. If you tend to upgrade every year or two it might be worth just keeping what you have then using the immortal life to upgrade to cfw3 or whatever in the next few years. Do you like the sound you're getting now?

These are my first decent pair of headphones, and I think they sound good. I'd say there is a definite quality step up, as there should be, when using the wire. It's not the wireless is terrible, for SBC it seems quite good, but it just seems all a bit 'looser' and less defined. Like the sounds are all there, just not as separated. You can probably tell I am new to describing this stuff.

In relation to the immortal stuff, being in the UK puts the brakes on that one. As once you start shipping stuff across the pond the prices get interesting. For example, I was going to get the Codex direct from V-Moda. But $50 shipping and possibly $131 in VAT/Duty soon killed that idea.

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #1,468 of 1,668
These are my first decent pair of headphones, and I think they sound good. I'd say there is a definite quality step up, as there should be, when using the wire. It's not the wireless is terrible, for SBC it seems quite good, but it just seems all a bit 'looser' and less defined. Like the sounds are all there, just not as separated. You can probably tell I am new to describing this stuff.

In relation to the immortal stuff, being in the UK puts the brakes on that one. As once you start shipping stuff across the pond the prices get interesting. For example, I was going to get the Codex direct from V-Moda. But $50 shipping and possibly $131 in VAT/Duty soon killed that idea.
It might be worth it then. I don't personally have an iPhone so I can't say if they sound significantly better through aac. But I was in your shoes and I opted to pay the extra for the codex. Granted, I did trade my original cfw to get a heavy discount.

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #1,469 of 1,668
It might be worth it then. I don't personally have an iPhone so I can't say if they sound significantly better through aac. But I was in your shoes and I opted to pay the extra for the codex. Granted, I did trade my original cfw to get a heavy discount.

Cheers for the reply. Hopefully someone with an iPhone and a set of the Codex can chime in at some point.

It is frustrating that V-Moda have no UK office. Would have done the upgrade offer yesterday as it's so generous. $250/£190 voucher, then just $100/£75 on top.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #1,470 of 1,668
To help with the codex question, from my understanding if you are just streaming from spotify or other lower rez app then aptx, aac or ldac wont matter much. If your using a higher rez app like tidal or have high quality lossless music downloaded on your device then getting the codex version should be worth it. I brought the codex version because I like to future proof myself knowing these higher end codecs will be the norm, and will be everywhere on every app. I wonder if these vmoda codex have a way of upgrading the firmware? I would like to see vmoda add ldac, this has support with android oreo and is supposed to be even better than aptx and aac by a good margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back